Thread: EC - when to start?

Default EC - when to start?

i read about ec a few years back and am very eager to give this a go for a few reasons

1 - i think nappies must be very unfomortable!
    2 - to avoid nappy rash etc
    3 - it has to be better to not be sitting in your wee and poo right?
    4 - i think the earlier tt is done, the better

having said that, i dont have kids yet.... but this is something i would like to try and do

so... when did you start ec? from day one????
    i would love to have a new born feeling the breeze on thier bum (lol)
    it must be horrible to have a nappie put right on you when you have been living nakky for months!!

beck

Hi Beck

We didn't start EC until kiddo was 8months old (didn't know about it until then)... Before that, we were using a cloth/disposable combination.

We chose to EC for the same reasons you listed; not to mention it coincided with DC learning to walk at 8mths and an avid interest in what the toilet was for about the same time (extremely helpful to have a little one that can walk to the potty and be aware enough to know when they need to go, LOL). Once we started ECing, we used it in combination with cloth diapers at home, and a cloth/disposable combination when we went anywhere else.

With the next one, we'll EC from birth 100% at home, with a probable EC/cloth combination when we're out and about.

It doesn't take long to get to know your baby's routine and when you'll need "the pot" ready (for us it was generally right after DC breastfed). Don't feel pressure to use only one method as an all-or-nothing approach if you find that it just isn't practical for you in some situations. For us it was more beneficial to use a diaper outside the home for a large majority of our daily activities, but you may find that you can handle EC anywhere just fine.

Well done for thinking about EC for your future little one(s)!
    Last edited by dace101; October 11th, 2010 at 02:43 AM.

thank you for your reply
    i would love to try this and probably use cloth/disaposables if/when needed
    beck

Hi beck,
    I intended to EC from birth, but the first 3 months were so crazy with trying to get our breastfeeding relationship working, and wees and poos all over the place, so EC kindof went by the wayside. We tried again when she was pooping less frequently and it worked well. Having a backup is good though We use mostly cloth. Good luck with TTC, hopefully we'll see you on the general EC chatter thread in a while!