Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: elimination communication

Awesome news!! Man, we REALLY need a general chatter thread!!
    Are there specific signs, or do you just make up your own sign for signing? I wouldn't mind incorporating signing into things at this stage.
    We're getting back on track now, with much more comfortable nights (no congestion) and catching wees after long sleeps. I bought one more pocket nappy for outings - I'm not always attentive enough to read when she needs to go, but I got one today when I went to the MCHN and took her to the loo there
    I was talking to a friend from my mothers group today who has pretty much started EC with her 18 month old. She gave me two crotchless outfits that she got from someone, so that will be great for later on!
    Tish - your 12 nappies are like my 5 that are still in a pile in the basket next to my bed...nappies that just didn't have to be used last night!
    We're just kicking goals

Hi Mayaness
    We've been using Auslan since about 7-8 months old. He could do some signs really early on (cat was his first spoken and signed word and he uses it A LOT lol), and hes started using toilet in context about 3 weeks ago - about age 1. You can google australian baby hands or the victorian deaf assoc (I know that's not the right name, can't remember it now!) has a website where you can look signs up. Toilet is a flat palm and you point to it with your index finger to make a "t" sign. Some signs we make up (e.g. milk was the action for milking a cow and I found that a bit offensive haha so I made a fist and banged my chest for "boobs" heh). I know some bubbas pat their hips when they need to go. Whatever works I could rabbit on forever about baby signing - I think it's wonderful. He's got 7 or so words now?

OMG YAY YOU for catching one at the MHC place!! That's fantastic, and at such a young age My MHCN was a bit anti EC, well more disbelieving I suppose so yay you!! Hehehe. Hope someone saw you coming out of the toilet *giggle*

Crotchless pants sounds like a good idea. I don't know that we'll ever be that confident. Have you heard of ecapants? They're a really good idea if a bit spensy.

Do you guys offer at night? How does that work? I always wondered about that. And are you guys full time nappy free at home?

We went to the park this morning and DS was dry the whole time and did a huge wee on the potty when we get back - YAY - only thing was he was so excited to stand up and inspect the good work he was still weeing when he did it hahaha. Im just so proud he's consciously holding and letting go though.

Have a good one

Tish
    xx

Wow Tish, you are going great guns! My proud EC moment for the day is much more low key - she was fussing on the boob, so I took her off and pottied her, and she went. Her nappy was totally dry, so I think she had actually been holding out for the potty!
    Mayaness, I've heard signs only work from about 6 months?

How are you guys going?
    We have just started solids, and the resulting poo is sticky and stinky and gross. So glad when I manage to get them in the potty! Just heard a fart noise from her while feeding though - better investigate...

Sorry I've been MIA - we had some thrush issues as well as that hideous cold that lasted forever.
    Anyway, ECing still going well and there was a question I hadn't answered - using flannel flat nappies at home, saving most of them from wetness and poo, so washing isn't a huge hassle. Just with the cold and tummy issues (was going to try nappyless this week, but now DD has a 'blocked system' where it's coming out in dribs and drabs) can't do it yet. Also using pockets for out and about. So, doing EC, but not nappy free at this stage yet.
    I found that offering at night is the easiest, because there are no other distractions (thinking of 3.5 yo, phone ringing, needing to go out and do stuff etc), and she can go hours between wakings because she does big wees instead of dribbly ones all night in her nappy and will sleep well knowing she'll get to wee when she stirs into light sleep again. Pretty much just like the Ingrid Bauer book is how we're progressing with nights!
    Anyway, that's all from me for now. Hope all is going well with everyone.
    Jess - yep, when solids start you'll really reap the benefits of toilet learning!!

Hi guys Sorry I missed the updates here!

Mayaness you're so brave thinking of going nappy free - proper EC LOL. I was never brave enough... maybe with the next one When I was still preggers I had all these ideas of how our child would be out of nappies by the time they were 6 months old, maybe sooner!! hahah. How do you find the EC with more than one? I'm in awe of you. Our friends like to remind me how much extra hard work I create for myself and how it will be impossible with 2...

Jess solids poo is a way big incentive to catch them in the potty!! Don't you just do a little cheer every time? hehe. How are you guys travelling?

Sorry, I've got another little brag... I think we're officially "toilet training", or maybe a better term is "toilet transistioning", because I"m not really training him IYKWIM. DS is signing really reliably at the moment, and only used 2 nappies yesterday (both times in the car, I think from now on I will carry a potty in the car and stop because he signed and I felt bad I couldn't help him), and today NO dirty or wet nappies all day, and only 1 miss on the carpet! I'm so proud of him I could burst, and a teeny bit sad too because he's growing up.... Last week we had a pair of training pants on him, and he chased his dad down the hallway putting his hands between his legs going "YUCK" (he says it GGLLLYYUUUUCK almost dutch sounding LOL), because he'd done a poo. I'm so happy for him that he's not happy to sit in his own poo and thinks that's normal. YAY for EC! I wish it was easier to pass it on to other people without it seeming judgemental, do you know what I mean?

So, who knows I might have to go shopping for teeny tiny undies for a 15 month old soon?! Hahah Mum suggested dolls undies - maybe I"m getting a bit ahead of myself, it's only been 2 days after all - and he did go on strike for about 3 months once upon a time.....!

Hope you guys are well

That is so awesome, Tish!
    I'm running out of time, but I've requested a discussion thread

How do you mean running out of time?

Sorry, had to get DS to childcare! The possibility of an EC discussion thread is being toyed with now
    No need for awe! DS is old enough to know that when you gotta go, you gotta go, so if I have to put a pause on him to pee DD he's ok with that. He'll also get me the chamber pot if I'm tied up and need it brought to me! It's not that hard, and is about as hard as changing nappies, really
    I think it's awesome of your DS to be 'getting it' already! It's textbook, really - you've set him up beautifully, good one!

I'm such a dag, I thought you meant you were running out of time for a discussion thread? Der

Ohhh that's gorgeous that you have a little helper Gives me hope I'll be able to EC a second one - guess it depends on the age difference a little too.

Thanks, it's nice to hear positive comments re the ECing Our IRL friends are a bit miffed by it hehe.

PS I found a good EC FB group yesterday! And also thanks for requesting a discussion thread - I think it will be a good place for us to chat, and hopefully get a few more people interested. When you think about it it really fits well with a gentle parenting/attached parenting outlook.

Can I join in ladies?

I did EC wiht Ds1 when he was about 8 months...he used to grunt when needing a poo so onto the loo he went...from 8 months i didnt have to change a pooey nappy ...he still cant grasp the wee bit but we are getting there!

DS2 did his first poo on the toilet tonight I was so proud..he is the same as DS1 he kinda grunts and only goes like once every few days so I knew this one was coming and just held him over the loo! He was smiling away and i just kept praising him.

So how do I teach him to wee on the toilet...also should I maybe use a potty? Cause it was kinda awkward holding him...although I could jsut sit on the loo wiht him?

sorry for crashing the thread! This has really interested me since DS1 was born.
    x

Hi Boomba,

Congrats on catching poos! If i had to choose only one to catch I'd choose poo LOL.

You might want to do a bit of googling, cos I'm terrible at explaining things with words only But here goes...

These techniques are for smaller bubs... Some people use the "classic hold" which is where you have the baby's back to you and then grasp the baby's thighs. Then lean their back against your chest. DS's legs usually ended up resting against my wrists/arms a bit. We used to dangle him over a potty like that from about 6 wks old but some people just aim over an ordinary bowl, sink, whatever.

For weeing, whenever we noticed him peeing (e.g. any time we changed him LOL) we made a "pssss" cueing noise so he would learn to wee when he heard that noise. It works well for some people but not so great for us. Some babies give cues as your little one does for pooing (ours didn't do this either). Timing worked really well for us, so offering a potty break straight after waking, or however many minutes after a feed etc. I think when we tried full time EC early on I was offering potty breaks every 30mins during the day with limited success (then the time intervals would be longer as he got older).

When DS got old enough to sit on his own we'd put the potty somewhere there was something to distract/relax him to wee - so the TV, or the open front door (soo funny to see the looks on peoples faces as they were doing their morning walk hehe). We give him lots of claps and cheers and he seems pleased with himself We've got a seat insert for the "big toilet" which seems to work well, but he gets bored sitting there waiting.

Did your DS get a shock with the splash? WHen my DS wees on the toilet the tinkle puts him off and we have to go to the potty hehe.

Sorry for the long post!!

Tish
    x

Hi All,

Can I join in? I want to voice my support/interest in a discussion thread on EC.
    I started a thread a few months ago, but it fizzled out (I think, or maybe I just fizzled out ).

I practice EC with my DS2, and I practiced it with DS1. I am a total convert!

Boomba, That's great!

Tish, I too find that timing works really well. Also, my DS2 'blows raspberries' when he wants to poo (that is his signal to me). He has been doing this since 9 weeks of age. Another time that is obvious to me, is when I am trying to bf and he keeps 'popping off' and fussing. That is a definite signal that he needs to pee. I wish I had know this with my first child (who I did not practice EC with). When she fussed at the breast, I thought it was a bf issue, not the fact that she wanted to pee. If only I had known!

I call myself a casual EC'er. These days (third child), I don't stop the car if I know DS2 needs to go.With DS1, I would stop the car, and pee him in a potty or on the grass. Ds2 wears mcn's and I remove them when he needs to go. But I am more relaxed about it this time. DS1 was fully daytime TT and toileting independently at 2 yr 5m. I don't know if he would have taken longer if he had been 'traditionally' TT. But that was never my goal. I love the enhanced communication and closeness that EC can bring to your relationship with your child.

Mayaness, Tish, Jess and Boomba, I have enjoyed reading your experiences. EC is a wonderful journey. I always remind myself that it is not a linear journey either! Sometimes a case of 2 steps forward, one back.

Oh, by the way, I use buckets! (at home) DH and I always joked that DS1 would have a bucket phobia as an adult! I attempted to transition DS2 to a potty, and he has used it a few times, but I think I still prefer holding him. Tish you have given a great description of 'the hold'.

Goodnight ladies.
    Last edited by *Ash*; January 20th, 2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: sp.

Thanks Trish that was reaslly helpfull...I have done alot of reading on the tribal baby webpage so thats helped heaps DS1 has never been scared of the toilet...its a big socail gathering for him if DH is home we all have to be in there reading stories and singing...hope he doesnt do this when he is 15
    Aliash a bucket sounds like a great idea..hehe bucket phobia as long as he doesnt fall in

Well after one success we had 2 unsuccesful attempts...He started to go so I quickly took him in but cracked it then this morning he went in his nappy......I will keep persisting he is only 11 weeks so hopefully I will get it more

Hello boomba and Aliash! Great to have a few more folks in this thread.
    I have been away from the internet, visiting the beach, then a singing conference, then settling Bridie at daycare... and our ECing has gone by the wayside a bit too. We are still offering pottytunities at nappy changes and during nappy free time at home, just not trying when we're out (and we've been out of the house a LOT).
    Bridie seems to only go on the potty; if I cue her while holding her over a sink she just wiggles. Sitting on the potty though she happily wees, sometimes even before I cue her, sometimes after a bit of time to relax. DH has invented a song he sings to her: 'it's morning (/afternoon/evening), we're on the potty, and what do we do on the potty? We pssss!' She always gives a big grin for the potty song, so cute
    Atm, she will whinge when she's having nappy free time and needs to wee, which is great. Only problem is she also whinges to say 'I'm bored' or 'my toy is out of reach' or 'I've forgotten how to roll over on to my back' etc... She probably gives the same signal in nappies but I can never get them off and her on the potty fast enough to tell if that was what she was whinging about. Except just after a nap - maybe it takes the bladder sphincter a while to wake up?
    One of the daycare workers was really interested to hear that Bridie wees on the potty at home. They are moving to a new centre soon which will hopefully have a better bathroom set up, so I am wondering whether they'd be willing to try pottying her at nappy changes... we'll see, I guess!
    At home, I'm wondering whether to just continue with our current casual EC-ing, or if I should try to get more nappy free EC time in while the whether is warm. I'm not yet fussed about TTing/independence; washing her nappies isn't that big a deal. (Solid poo is pretty icky! But DH rinses them out for me. ) And daycare certainly isn't going to be able to do fulltime EC, with 4 babies to each staff member. Hmm, what to do...

Just quickly - last night DD spent her first nappy free night! Was a warm night and she only leaked once (not much wee there), and was woken by DS once, so I pee'd her twice all up. So cute to see and feel her all naked! Tonight's up the creek, after a fire call whilst on station just after our brigade meeting wrapped up...just going to bed now, but she's asleep in a nappy. Might take it off later, though Just thought I'd let you all know about our first big brave step!

You are so brave Mayaness!!! Let me know how it goes, it's not something I could bring myself to do LOL, but wished I could have. Are you using a wool pad or something to sleep on?

It was just so hot that night that I couldn't bring myself to wrap her in anything! I just had her on a Fluffy brand thing that's long and narrow, under her bum, on her lambskin (lamby gets put out in t he sun in the morning).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast