Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: elimination communication

I've done 2 and a half nights nappy free and feeling braver. So brave that today I've had her mostly nappy-free at home, too. I got a whole stack of clothes for her that I thought I wouldn't need and it's all pink. I decided that I'd dye it all and as it has to be damp to dye, I'll put the pink stuff on without nappies and wash the lot THEN dye it!

It's been a week since my last post, allow me to post again!
    The whole week Miss T has been nappy-free at night - no misses, dry nights, two wakings on average Last night I put her down, she stirred a little about 3 hours later, I put her on the chamber pot and she did the tiniest wee, she moved about an hour and a bit later but before I could pick her up she was sound asleep again, so I left her...didn't even need to feed her. Next thing I know it's 6.45am and she's still dry, still asleep and hasn't fed She didn't do much of a wee (wasn't much input anyway!), had a huge feed (cos it was there!) and she fell asleep again.
    Oh, and the last few days we've been getting out of the house during the day (cos it's so messy from packing that our brains are melting down, me and the kids) and we've gone through only one nappy in that whole outing - wee'ing her on time and doing the occasional poo (she'll leave them for the chamber pot sessions, it would appear). She's probably just becoming more aware sooner of her need to go, rather than holding on till I get to pee her, and letting me know that bit sooner. I really believe she's appreciating her cleaner state and I get no grief from her. She smiles and coos and is such a darling to be with - none of the frustration that I'm sure DS had with me for not realising he didn't want to be in a nappy. I can't go back to nappying (other than for having a back up for missed cues) after this, it just makes too much sense and is of such mutual benefit in our family. Even DP can do it. Sheesh, even DS can do it with her except he's too little to lift her over the chamber pot, and just "sssssss's" her instead!
    How's everyone else going with their journey??

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't posted in here for a while!

Mayaness it sounds like things are still going wonderfully for you guys - well done on your perserverance and braveness for the overnights LOL You're my inspiration that if/when we have another I'll be able to EC with 2 and put those naysayers in their place! LOL

Was at the podiatrist the other day and DS was signing toilet, and the podiatrist was saying that she knew someone who did EC - so it's good to see it getting a bit more well known out there.

We're going pretty well at the moment. DS is pretty consistently signing before he goes (or afterwards with a guilty face and a point to the spot on the carpet, so cute!). There have even been a very few occasions where he's put himself on the potty and gone without me even knowing! Sometimes he uses potty time as an avoidance technique (he does "micro wees" before bed because it prolongs the routine, little bugger), but not too much.

He's going through a stage at the moment where he's weeing on the floor beside the potty alot though, anyone else experienced this?

We carry a potty in the car so we've always got one while we're out. Got a portable cushy tushy but I don't think he feels comfortable with it.

Mostly he's dry all day (still don't trust him in undies while we're out but his nappies stay dry), with maybe 1 or 2 wees on the carpet and a "poomergency" on the carpet once a week or so? For his age I think he's doing brilliantly, and I love to hear people comment when he's weeing in the potty in the parenting rooms while we're out (so does DS for that matter haha).

Nights are still in nappies now though, he wets quite heavily. I know he wakes up to wee in the middle of the night and cries, if I go in to resettle him he'll sometimes sign too. I've tried pottying him but he gets grumpy with me taking his nappy off etc and wants to lay down again when I put him on the potty. Not sure what to do there!

Glad to hear you're having such success Mayaness, how is everyone else doing?

Tish
    xx

Mayaness, that's awesome!

Tish, very cool that your DS puts himself on the potty

We were doing well last week - catching wees after naps fairly consistently, and I think every poo - but this week she's decided she doesn't want to sit, particularly not on the potty. She will still wee standing over the potty, but that's not so good as she puts her legs together and arches backwards and the wee goes all over the parent standing in front holding her up! I've been trying to use the newborn hold instead (hands under her thighs, over the sink) but she's never been a big fan of that and prefers to wait till she's back on the change table, then wee. She has a cold and is teething this week, could these have anything to do with it? Anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do (other than just wait till she's over it this phase)?

Ohh I've just started trying EC today with my 11 week old DD and am feeling frustrated. I think she just finds the potty so uncomfortable (or maybe I'm giving off stressed vibes). her wee cues are SO subtle and i swear she stops herself when i suddenly grab her and hold her over the potty. call me weak but i'm tempted to give up already, after having poop on my dining chairs and multiple wee soaked blankets. Is it normal for a first day to be like this? Everyone's stories make it sound so easy.

Maybe give catching a miss for a while and concentrate on teaching the cue sound first, so if you notice your DD weeing or pooing then make the psss noise so she learns. I totally understand the stopping thing though, DS did the same.

Oh and it's normal to have wee and poo on the floor or couch or your lap even months down the track LOL. Some day you count catches some days you count misses - be gentle on yourself, it's not "weak" to go back to nappies part time to take a break if it gets hard.

Also, DS never EVER cued, until he was about 14 months and even now it's patchy. We used timing - maybe try that for a while? So I offerred when I felt he needed to go (like after a nap, or 15 mins after a feed etc).

It's been a while since you posted, how are you travelling?

Tish
    x

Misty - I've been EC'ing DD since she was about 2 weeks old and it's only recently I've gone nappy free overnight...and during the day she has a nappy on, mostly! Cut yourself a break use the nappies and aim to save at least one nappy change for having read a sign right. When you've been doing that a while and notice you're using less fresh nappies through the day and night, give the night nappy a miss and work on nappy free nights for a while. That's what I am doing and everyone will do it differently. It's now become normal to have DD with no night nappy, even though, after a particularly long day or when I'm feeling sick we'll have a regression (the regression is mine, I realise in hindsight she was plain in her signals!).
    So, here we use a combination of timing and cues.
    Like Tish says, be gentle on yourself and realise that we didn't grow up seeing this done and we're learning a very new thing, all of us!
    We went away for the long weekend and stayed in a motel with a group of other people we were with and the first evening they were commenting on our use of the chamber pot and by day 2 it was normalised. That's considering we had families in our party who are currently using nappies. I think now they expect to see me doing something unconventional It seemed to make sense to them, though!
    A 7 hour drive on the way up we used 2 nappies and the same for the way back. During the day, whilst walking around the competition grounds, I averaged about 2 nappies, too! Finding a toilet block wasn't hard at all and she had to get used to doing poo in there - she baulked initially then realised it was that or her nappy...she chose the former

Tish - I think that's a good idea, she needs to learn the association first. I think I'm just gonna dedicate certain times of the day to practise, rather than being glued to her, staring for invisible cues :P
    I'm good, was away for a while due to feeling sorry for myself, and busy moving house. Now I am happy for myself and in a great new home. So all is looking up!
    Mayaness - Yes, I'm definitely going to keep using the nappy, and will hopefully become very fast at getting it off and getting her on potty in time.
    Thanks for your advice guys, I feel encouraged and much more motivated now! I'm sure DD and I will get the hang of it, slowly but surely.
    Hooray for beautiful bare bums.

Yay, here's the thread we lobbied for!

from the article; "Some believe that our society?s sexual problems may begin when our babies learn to switch off from their genital area because of the unpleasant sensations of wearing a "walking toilet." '

Because it's only societies that use nappies who experience sexual problems? What a strange theory.
    Anyway, this sounds like a great idea. DD1 is toilet training at the moment at 2.5 years and we have LOTS of accidents! Perhaps doing this prior to potty training would've been a good idea. And of course, having that connection with your baby sounds beautiful.

I think that as a society/culture we DO have issues with repression, fixation and 'naughtiness' that happen on a far bigger scale than other cultures. Whilst these things may occur elsewhere, it's more in an isolated way than the way we treat sexuality in our society.
    In cultures that are otherwise conservative about values you'll find a healthy, ribald humour about sexual matters! It takes you by surprise and then you realise that sexual relations and sex in general is a normalised and taken for granted thing that, whilst still treated coyly, is not considered taboo or 'naughty'...because they have the social maturity to realise sex is the crux of society!
    Margaret Mead studied sex in Melanesia and wrote about how liberal-minded the Melanesians were, despite teh Christianisation of the area, and that despite popular opinion, girls were very promiscuous and it was accepted. What she didn't realise was that those people with whom she did her fieldwork were having a complete lend of her! They ARE conservative in their sexual behaviour, but they didn't pretend sex didn't happen, it wasn't hidden or prohibited conversation, so that even the younger kids were 'in on it'.
    Anyhow, I managed to use EC principles to get DS night-continent, if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaness View Post
    I think that as a society/culture we DO have issues with repression, fixation and 'naughtiness' that happen on a far bigger scale than other cultures. Whilst these things may occur elsewhere, it's more in an isolated way than the way we treat sexuality in our society.
    In cultures that are otherwise conservative about values you'll find a healthy, ribald humour about sexual matters! It takes you by surprise and then you realise that sexual relations and sex in general is a normalised and taken for granted thing that, whilst still treated coyly, is not considered taboo or 'naughty'...because they have the social maturity to realise sex is the crux of society!
    Margaret Mead studied sex in Melanesia and wrote about how liberal-minded the Melanesians were, despite teh Christianisation of the area, and that despite popular opinion, girls were very promiscuous and it was accepted. What she didn't realise was that those people with whom she did her fieldwork were having a complete lend of her! They ARE conservative in their sexual behaviour, but they didn't pretend sex didn't happen, it wasn't hidden or prohibited conversation, so that even the younger kids were 'in on it'.
    Anyhow, I managed to use EC principles to get DS night-continent, if that helps

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123