Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elimination Communication General Discussion

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Elimination Communication General Discussion

To all our EC'ers,

Feel free to do a roll call and check in here. Enjoy!

Yayyyy! Thanks for the thread

Boohoo to me, I'm off to change my first pooey bum in months. DS is out of whack at the moment and pooed while we were out. Yuck!

Woo Hooooooooo!!
    The one-stop shop for those who want to know what is involved without searching for the various threads about it
    Tish, donchya just get 'spoiled' and used to the non-smeary bum situation? I find I really beat myself up when I DO find a smeary bum, like I could have tried better to save DD's bum from that feeling! I've missed a few wees this week since DP was away for work because of tending to DS, but mostly it's been ok.
    Whilst packing stuff into boxes for our move I was looking at my stash of Peapods in size M...don't think I'll be using them! I can lend them to my sister if my nephew isn't too big by then (he'll be 1.5yo, but she makes 'em big!), if she still needs them (she's trying to EC, too), otherwise, I'll be selling them on cos we won't need them If, for the last few months we've been just fine with the 5 Mini La La's and bunch of coloured terry flats (for home) and no nappies overnight, then we can assume the medium PP's will be of no use. Yep, feeling a bit smug about that! Nothing like making life easier for oneself

can somebody please explain EC to me, Ive only just heard of it

MrsS, here is a thread that was our de facto general chatter thread until this one was created HTH!

Yay a real EC thread. I'm sure I'll be here all the time. My goal is to never need the Toddler nappies that my ditsy friend bought for my baby shower. Very ditsy! We didn't know if we were having a boy or girl, and she arrived with Toddler sized Girl nappies. Anyway, turns out she was right on the mark!

I CAUGHT A PEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This morning, after her first feed of the day, I thought "Hmm... I'll try the timing.. and if it doesn't work, who cares, I have barely taught her the cue yet."
    And just a minute after I held her over her potty I heard her pee AND poo! YAY!
    I'm yet to catch another, but at least I can be confident for those morning ones!

Hi Guys, just thought i would stick my head in.
    We did part time EC and MJ has been out of nappies full time since she was about 19mths yeah baby!!!

Well done to those that are just starting, it can be a bit of long haul if you compare it to people that TT their child in a week when they are three, but i am so proud of my little miss no nappy when i send her of to CC or we catch up with friends.
    The only problem is trying to find knickers and pants for a very slim 2 yo (even harder this time last year when she was 1!!!

That's great, Misty! I know with DD that offering her the potty at about 7.30 am will produce a poo. The rest of the day may produce nothing or just little poos, and it seems to be true that the body will clear out in the morning for a fresh start, as Ingrid Bauer says (well, I paraphrase!).
    Today we had DD nappy-free for the bulk of the day and caught the poos and wees for the most part Getting there! Tomorrow will be interesting. We're going visiting DP's rellos and his cousin was adamant that EC only works in tribal societies where babies are worn skin to skin all the time So, she can believe what she wants, she's the one with a toddler AND a baby in nappies...I know who I'd rather be!

Bahaha that cousin, you and DD will show her!

well done misty! those first catches are almost embarrassingly exciting, aren't they? you're so right - the morning ones are always the safest bets!

how did you go with your relos today mayaness? it's always nice to spread the word a bit isn't it?

today we looked after my 9 month old nephew, and we pottied him when he woke up this morning just to see what would happen really - we caught a massive wee! and then another later in the day too. couldn't believe it, goes to show you that it's not impossible to start that late.

ds is looking up a bit over the weekend too - he was dry most of the weekend (apart from the poo on friday LOL - i actually just gave in and gave him a shower after that, i'm out of bum wiping practice!)

maya aren't you sort of sad you need to pack your nappies away? i am a bit - i'd just started making them and i'm a bit like, awwww, cloth bums are so cute! LOL guess i'll just need to start sewing him some cute jocks instead

tish
    xx

Yay for an EC discussion area! Very cool to have previous threads moved too.
    Welcome Misty! I find timing works really well for us, as her wee signals aren't always obvious. So we reliably catch wees in the morning, and after naps. The other thing that was helpful was giving her nappy free time at a consistent time every day and watching what happens - now I know if I give her half an hour of nappy free time just after she wakes up, she'll pee about three times and then not do much till her next feed. So if I offer the potty every 10 mins or so, I usually catch those morning wees. (We have nappy free time in the evening as well but that's not so consistent - she feeds on demand so doesn't have a routine. But it might be easier to work out how long between, say, lunch or afternoon BF and next wee if your bub has big feeds less frequently.) Also she tends to poo most often around 3pm; so if she farts or makes another 'maybe poo' signal I put her straight on the potty, whereas farts at other times are usually just farts!
    Maya, how did you go with the rellies? Is cousin eating her words?
    Tish, very cool that you pottied your nephew and got two catches! Are you going to suggest EC to his parents? I know what you mean about the nappies... adorable MCNs are one of the reasons I'm only a part-time EC-er... if she was totally nappy free I would have to be nappy free!
    AFM... DD is getting over her not wanting to sit on the potty thing, yay. We had a couple of ninja poos last week, but are doing better this week... so far! Very glad for EC every time I DON'T have to wipe a pooey bum. Ick.

Ha ha, the cousin can see the merit! She was knocking it this time, though - she offered me some undies that are no good for toilet training a toddler and would be good for ECing a baby, they'll be in the post soon Then, just as we were leaving I decided to pee DD and as soon as I crouched and did the sound she said "it works!"...so, I humbly took my leave and left them with that lasting impression, no smugness required! Somewhere along the line, between meetings, she's become more open to it...or has met people who do it, cos it was talked about but without the tone she took that first time. And I get free undies out of it!
    We need to potty about every 10 mins in the morning, too, or I miss wees all over the place.

thanks for the tips jess!! yeah, i really need to focus and learn her elimination routine, i have been SO lazy. We've had a rough few days, I've finally figured out that it's because of lactose overload, so once that settles down, I can't wait to keep trying! I find the poos are easy to catch, but the wees are just so sneaky. But I am determined! I want her out of those annoying bulky nappies as much as possible. They look SO uncomfortable!
    What do you guys do about those leaky farts? Or is it just my DD that seems to do that a lot?

I think that's why it took so long for me to take the nappy free plunge - leaky farts! DD had a cold for so long when she was newborn (grrr - she got it off rellos) and I couldn't just leave her out of a nappy!

Just noticing DD 'holding on' a lot more lately - especially after waking and wriggling, she'll give me ample opportunity to potty her, and also in the car. She lets go as soon as I hold her out and will do a big long wee, so that's how I reckon she's holding it - it can't be a matter of great timing, cos I get distracted sometimes after her first squeaks of needing to go!
    She's also starting to crawl, so it will be interesting how our EC patterns change to reflect this Still nappy free at night and getting more and more nappy free during the day, when I'm not packing our house (once I start packing things in boxes I forget to pee her and she's in a puddle...doh!).

Wow Maya, that's really good! Gosh babies are so smart.
    I'm so lost with EC, DD had very bad week so I put it off, I should start again, but I feel like I'm starting from scratch again, and feeling really uninspired.
    I can't imagine catching a pee. I just have no idea when she goes. But everytime I put a nappy on her, I wish I didn't have to.

keep moving forward - I missed so many wees yesterday! The regressions are mine, she's gonna wee when she's gonna wee and when I'm not present there's only so long she can wait You win some, you lose some - hold onto the wins

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast