Thread: How do we start??

Question How do we start??

Hi everyone, just wanting some advice on how to start our 16 month old toilet training. We have sat him on the toilet a few times when we have noticed he is about to dirty his nappy or has done already, but has been unsuccessful. He doesn't seem to like it though he watches Mum and Dad go, but is happy to put the toilet seat down only!! I bought a potty today, hoping this might help, anyone with any suggestions, advice or tricks to help us get on the way is most appriciated! Thanks in advance

Hi Lizzy - I'd like to join you if that's ok, I have a 15 month old and wondering when/how to start the whole toilet training process! Do you wait until there are obvious signs, is there any, I have no idea!

My biggest advice is to put them in knickers/undies as much as possible
    This way they will slowly learn when they are wet and dry. Slowly learn when they are weeing/pooping.

If they do a poop, taken them, put it in the toilet. They will physically see where the poo should be going, where they should be doing poo in the first place, itms.

Its a long process.. patience is the key!

Good luck!

Hey Telly! Fancy meeting you here hee hee, I don't know if Amelia's ready but am interested to find out more. My mum said today that I was weeing in the potty from 9 months so I guess I could try, she has a pretty regular poo regime lolol. I'm not in a major rush but if I am going to start thinking about baby number 2 it's probably time to at least think about it!

Take your time Ali. There's no need to rush, our bubbas are still so young
    Just put her in knickers when you guys are outside, that could be your starting point! Their little bums are just too cute in knickers! You won't be able to stop pinching those cheeks! haha!

Telly - If you put them in nickers/undies would you do that when you go out to the shops too or just at home? I have a 2 yr old boy and its the first time we have lived in a house with a flushing toilet since he was born and now he wont even go near the toilet, he used to sit on the outdoor toilet but now i have no such luck...