Thread: Split crotch pants

Default Split crotch pants

Hi all. I've only just started researching EC. Looks like a great idea - very logical - so I hope we can do it. I've ordered a couple of books and a top hat potty.

Just a quick question, whilst we're in the midst of buying baby clothes - has anyone used split crotch pants? It seems a good way to keep bub warm whilst not having waste time trying to pants off in time for a wee/poo.

If you have, did you buy or make them yourself? Were they OK for newborns, or for older bubs? What type of fabric did you use - natural fibre or fleece? What works best?

Or are baby gowns the a better idea for newborns? I've just realise all these cute little outfits we've bought are dependent on bubs being in a nappy....

OK - that's lots of questions, but hoping someone can help.

TIA

Nooneewilga is a great site with information about it too.

Thanks - I've looked at that and ordered some books from them. Didn't seem to specify ages they start with. I'm also interested in reading people's experiences.

ETA: Saying that - I hadn't seen their other products. cool.

Talking Split pants

are the norm here for kids up to 3. Its often hard to find pants that dont have split. Here some use a piece of cloth to tuck in to the waist band on each side to cover the bum but most just let their kids run around bare- even in winter!!!!!!
    from about 6mths old the kids are "shushu" trained. its simple, every 20mins or so you take the child to the toilet and whistle to make the pee come, within afew months most kids can pee on whistle command.
    My 2year old doesnt want to wear a nappy, he alwaystells me "mummy, shushu" and he wants to go toilet or potty.
    He wears a nappy at night but this summer we will start to train him out of that -it involves waking up afew times in the night and taking them "shushu" DS1 took 3 moths to learn to wake up himself at night.

Its about making the child awear of what their body is doing, any older child quickly doesnt want to wet himself and learns to use potty, the whistle just helps the to learn that feeling when they go

Doubletrouble - what do the chinese do with babies up to 6 months? Are they in split crotch outfits too? or nappies? If so, are they like our little jump suits? Do you know if you can order the chinese split crotch clothes on the internet?

I'm trying to work out the easiest way to start EC whilst bub is new.

thanks

Hi Tash,

I was sent a pair of split crotch pants from China, to use with my DS1 when he was around 6-8 months. We only ever used them at home, as they didn't have very good coverage! A friend had a pair for her son, and they had better coverage, so her son wore them in public! (she got hers from Bongo Baby).

What season is your bub due? The climate will probably have the most influence over how you dress your bub while ECing. My Ds1 was born in Spring, so he just spent a lot of time with only a singlet or shirt on at home. I didn't use one piece suits with him at all. When you are first learning their signals it is easiest if bub is naked from at least the waist down for as often as possible in the early days/weeks. Leg warmers come in handy here.

My DS1 only wore 2 piece outfits, specifically elasticised shorts or pants, so that I could remove them quickly (and not have to fiddle with snaps or buttons). As you become more confident and your bub older, it won't matter so much what they are wearing. You will find that you have time to remove pants or undo snaps, and sit bub on the potty.

I do part-time EC with DS2, and I have time to remove pants and a MCN and still get him on a potty!

I hope some of that info is useful! Good luck with your EC journey. It really is remarkable.

smiles4u Guest

Wow i remember when traveling through China all the babies i would see with the crotchless outfits ... and the older ones squatting in streets (well back streets) where they lived in what they called Hungs (homes like down lane ways)...

Always wondered how it worked with smalled babies as the ones i saw were usually older than 6mths old +

Default All babys

wear split crotch pants. even if you put a nappy on for night time, still split pants. the doctors tell you dont put baby in nappys cause its bad for them- particully the boys -the testies get too hot but here the nappys are CRAP excuse the term, they really are bad.
    I have looked after my kids so I've used nappys and I remember 1 time I had to change nappy at the hospital and the baby had alittle nappy rash from teething and the runs, everybody crowded round and there was a lot of "OMG look at his bum its all sore how can you make him wear nappys" blah blah We got rather upset over that. I dont know what they do when baby has upset tummy and the runs I guess they just wash a lot of the pieces of ripped up sheets they use to cover babys bum.
    The nappys are bad and they are expensive so its not really a thing alot of people care to waste money on. Im not convinced its healthier for the kid or the general public, having kids just pee and poo everywhere, bare bums where peoples shoes have been etc, you even see bare bums in the winter when its freezing. But I think for at home, they are great and for helping to potty train kids they are great, the kid can just walk up to the potty and sit down, not so many accidents while trying to pull their pants down

Hi Tash

We didn't start ECing with kiddo until 8mths, but found split pants to be very helpful. We used babylegs in the milder weather, but I had to make microfleece split pants to keep DC's bum warm when Winter arrived (it snows where we lived at the time).

With our next baby, we will EC from day one. I'm planning to use gowns for the most part, and maybe make a few split pants aswell (hemp and microfleece probably). I think gowns are a simple way of keeping bubs covered and warm in those first few weeks/months while still being able to EC (you may have seen old photos of little ones in the Victorian era - both boys and girls from newborn to toddler age - dressed in gowns for this reason).

Tash, I've just noticed the date this thread was posted and the link in your signature.

My apologies if my previous post is inappropriate.