Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression and the 6 Human Needs

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Depression and the 6 Human Needs

Watch Me! YouTube - Tony Robbins on The Hour

This clip is a must listen. I have seen on one of his DVDs (Ultimate Relationship Program) which is better for people to see if they really want change... but in the DVD he works with a woman who is suffering from depression and has considered suicide... by the end of it, she's no longer depressed because she's learnt how to change her state. Some very important information and a way which may help to free yourself from depression. The more tools and skills we have, the better!

Of the millions of people he has worked with around the world, he says while we are all so very different, every single human has these six needs.

When our needs aren't met, we may seek that through food, sex, drugs, alcohol... and when something meets at least three of our needs, you become ADDICTED to it. Read on below to see what those needs are and how that works.

4 Needs of the Personality

1. Certainty/Comfort. We all want comfort. And much of this comfort comes from certainty. Of course there is no ABSOLUTE certainty, but we want certainty the car will start, the water will flow from the tap when we turn it on and the currency we use will hold its value.

Watch me! Clip on Certainty - (the clips are from the work he does with the depressed woman I mentioned above).

2. Variety. At the same time we want certainty, we also crave variety. Paradoxically, there needs to be enough UNcertainty to provide spice and adventure in our lives.

3. Significance. Deep down, we all want to be important. We want our life to have meaning and significance. I can imagine no worse a death than to think my life didn't matter.

4. Connection/Love. It would be hard to argue against the need for love. We want to feel part of a community. We want to be cared for and cared about.

Watch me! Clip on Variety, Significance, Connection & Love

2 Needs of the Spirit

5. Growth. To become better, to improve our skills, to stretch and excel may be more evident in some than others, but it's there. If you don't grow, what do you do? You die.

6. Contribution. The desire to contribute something of value - to help others, to make the world a better place than we found it is in all of us. Fulfilment only truly comes when you know you've done something for others.

Watch me! Clip on Growth and Contribution

You just have to google to find many comments like this one, from people who learn and apply what tools Tony teaches:

"I have been very depressed recently even so much that I was diagnosed as a Maniac Depression. Since I have been on Unleash the Giant within seminar I dont allow myself to get depressed again. I have also been on the 10-day Health Challenge more or less since Wednesday. Wednesday and Thursday I stuck to it completely and today and yesterday more or less as yesterday I had a date and went to Frankie & Bennies for the first time. The days I stuck to it completely I felt happier and more alive. I have just been to Tony s Unleash the Giant within seminar and it was absolutely out of this world. If you need any advice let me know."

About Anthony Robbins

Innovator in Psychology and Intervention

As a recognized catalyst for developing systems and strategies for accelerated and lasting transformations in individuals worldwide, Robbins has been sought after by psychologists and psychiatrists for training. Robbins, along with his partner Cloe Madanes, created almost ten years ago the Robbins-Madanes Center for Strategic Intervention, which produces training materials and programs for the therapeutic community. Together they have trained more than 100,000 therapists. For more than 20 years, Madanes has served as world-renowned teacher of therapists. Two of her books are considered classic texts—Strategic Family Therapy and The Violence of Men. Robbins appeared as a featured author in one of her books—Relationship Breakthrough: How to Create Outstanding Relationships in Every Area of Your Life. Robbins and Madanes are actively involved in the Council for Human Rights of Children at the University of San Francisco, a prestigious international think tank created to develop and codify methods to ensure the rights of children are maintained and championed. Robbins was among the speakers featured at the Council's 2005 meeting at the University of Oxford, where he addressed "Alternatives to Institutionalization of Children and Youth in Crisis." He also has been a featured speaker at The Evolution of Psychotherapy Conference, the world's largest psychotherapy conference that brings together more than 10,000 industry leaders from around the world every five years
    For more than three decades, Anthony Robbins has served as an advisor to leaders around the world.

A recognized authority on the psychology of leadership, negotiations, organizational turnaround and peak performance, he has impacted the lives of more than 50 million people from over 100 nations.

One of the most sought-after speakers in the world, more than 3.5 million people from over 100 countries have attended Anthony Robbins' live seminars or speaking engagements. Robbins has spoken for such distinguished audiences as the British Parliament, Harvard Business School, and the World Economic Forum.

Robbins was recognized by Accenture as one of the Top 50 Business Intellectuals in the World, by American Express as one of the Top 6 Business Leaders in the World to coach their entrepreneurial clients and by the Harvard Business School Press as one of the Top 200 Business Gurus.

Mr. Robbins is also credited with initiating the Life Coaching industry over three decades ago. His bestselling books Unlimited Power and Unleash The Giant Within introduced a philosophy of personal action that combined individual responsibility, emotional resourcefulness, and strategic intelligence based on recent breakthroughs in linguistics, strategic studies, neuroscience and peak performance.

Robbins' unique experience of working with millions of people live and in person led him to develop a series of principles and tools called Human Needs Psychology. It is in applying these principles one-on-one that he is able to lead people to extraordinary results, even in the face of dire challenges.

Robbins' one-on-one intervention work with individuals from all walks of life, whether onstage at seminars or in his private consultations, formed the template for modern one-on-one coaching practices. Robbins' audio recordings of these concepts, strategies, and exercises led to producing the #1-selling audio coaching system of all time, which has transformed many millions of lives.
    Since 2002, Anthony Robbins has partnered with renown teacher Cloe Madanes to form the Robbins-Madanes Center for Strategic Intervention, which is dedicated innovating cutting-edge strategic solutions to the most pervasive and difficult problems.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; April 4th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Default not a path I would take...

But I did find that psychotherapy with an experienced psychiatrist ultimately left me strong, well and depression-free. I'm pretty sure that this path has proven, replicable results

Thats great charliebear! Different things work for different people - some people try things and they don't work, so it's great to have alternatives out there. Some people also can't afford ongoing psychology or psychotherapy... and some people spend years and years working with someone to get to that place and want quicker results. So some free information can mean a big difference, in conjunction with therapy or without.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

Kelly - isn't Anthony Robbins work amazing? Also his work with Chloe Madanes...I started looking into his stuff about 2 years ago and I find it so inspirational and intriguing!

One thing I find in our path of growth though is that sometimes people aren't ready to open themselves up to the information that could free/heal them...everyone is on a different journey and some people seem to get further along than others...

Absolutely... I just got to a point in my life where I didn't want to live like that anymore. I would look at people like Robbins, Byron Katie... and want nothing more than to be able to be as free as they were. A life of emotional freedom, is bloody amazing. To be able to have a huge smile on your face and feel a genuine love of your life.... so far from where I was before. So many do not know Robbins work for what it is.... he's not a motivational speaker. He's AMAZING.
    Kelly xx

I have seen a lady that does this hypnosis/nlp stuff that is absolutely amazing. Basically she takes away any negative associations linked with beliefs from our childhood. I've seen her a couple of times and it's amazing how in an hour she takes away so much emotion from your childhood/past. Even just the other day I had a negative emotion come up - you know that yucky feeling in your chest - and so I know it's time to go back and see her again and deal with it...She is just AMAZING! My mum has had a lot of emotional issues and the change in her is really fantastic...pm me if you want her details!!

Yup Robbins does NLP, we did timeline therapy too, it was incredible. He'll be back in Sydney next year, for Unleash the Power Within. I'm going back, and taking my daughter It's full on, but blew me away, and I walked on fire!!!
    Kelly xx

I would have LOVED to go...great that he's coming back next year - wont' be bfing then!! Might have to start saving!! LOL!

I would if I were you - it will change your life - no matter what you know now. I dealt with stuff I never knew existed before. Even before I went, I thought I was in a really good headspace... but it got rid of all this clutter I didnt know was still holding me back. Love love love Anthony Robbins. He's such a gift to this world.
    Kelly xx

NLP in the wrong hands can be as dangerous as it is good. I hope he talks about it in a way thats responsible.
    Last edited by Pandora; April 4th, 2011 at 09:28 PM.

A person needs just 3 things to be happy in this world

Someone to love
    Something to do
    and Something to hope for

Tony Robbins has just copied Buddhas teachings and expanded... Shame Tony...Shame...

Really? I have all those three things and still choose depression because it clearly meets a need for me. I think that's why the original post had so many people so worked up - not that you'd know it now.

I've now watched the first clip in its entirety and am bemused about why it's a must see. In a 12-minute clip, there's only a snippet about depression. Namely, the story about the 61-year-old woman who was depressed because she hadn't had the 3 children she felt she should, hence life wasn't meeting her expectations.

I agree about this stuff being derivative of Buddhism. I'd rather read a book about that rather than watch over-hyped, commercial stuff done for profit.

Hi all,

Apparently the posts were removed accidentally as the mod thought it was now a private forum. Astrolady will replace your posts is you request - but she's having difficulty doing so at the moment.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the thread is to remain then I think that all replies should remain, not just those that agree with the original poster.
    I was in favour of removal of the thread due to the damaging effect it was having on people with depression with the suggestion that somehow they had chosen this living hell. But I think to keep the thread and just positive responses is even more offensive, so I would like to have my posts reinstated please.

ETA I would have probably kept my opinions to myself if it weren't a sticky. Making it a sticky makes it much harder to let it slide, particularly when it is obviously upsetting to so many. This is not simply a difference of opinion, it is leaving something that people have expressed great upset from, stuck on the board forever more, to keep picking at the scab. The average poster does not have the power to post their opinions as a sticky. With power comes responsibility.

Polly - I think they plan to reinstate all previous replies as per the PP, but Astrolady is currently having difficulty doing so.

I think the thread is now in a much better "home" too

My understanding us that your posts will be reinstated if you request them to be - request to Astrolady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understood by the previous post that previous responses would be reinstated upon request, hence my request. I wasn't being inpatient re the technical difficulties, Rome wasn't built in a day

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast