Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Depression and the 6 Human Needs

I wouldn't mind my posts to be put back either.

My final post answered Kelly's question very honestly. I never saw if there were any replies after this as it was all gone by the time I got back online.

I suspect that perhaps is was removed because it mentioned suicide.

Whoops! My bad - I misread the post. Sorry.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

fionas - you missed the other clips that were in that original post, that go into detail on the different points/needs. You need to watch them all to understand it.

Initially the post was dissected because there was panic from members when we moved the post into here, then we got confused and realised it was not a private forum. However, people need to be logged in to see the D&A forum, but this one not.

The majority wanted it moved from depression, so I moved it - I am happy for the depression to be talk about depression and thats it. However if you don't want alternative options in there, then in this forum for alternatives, some of your posts would be redundant as this forum IS about alternatives and self-help, AND if the depression forum is only for posts about depression, then this should be a forum for those who only want to discuss alternatives and self help? There is cross over here when you don't want cross over there.... I thought you'd be happy that the post was moved as requested, and you dont want those posts over there, but you're happy to come in here and disagree with self help options which this forum is designed for?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Kelly, how is a post that talks of depression and a suicidal person receiving help not about depression?

It sounds as though you're suggesting those with mental illness are not welcome to have an opinion in other forums. I'm sure that is not what your intention was but once again the tone of this is reinforcing the stigma of mental health in society.

If you're not interested in self help then stay depressed??

These issues are extremely complex and sensitive, especially for those suffering now, discussion should reflect that.
    Last edited by PollyA; April 17th, 2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Im not saying that people can't post here... but some people in depression didn't want it in there... so I moved it.

It kinda makes an alternative options forum pointless if it's going to be bombarded with people complaining about alternatives, especially when they have no interest in what's being posted and wont even look at the clips... it's why we have a c/s support forum, for people who want support for c/s without being bombarded with vaginal birth messages and comments... I think each area deserves its own respect and while you or others may not agree in alternatives to traditional depression remedies, I think its fair to respect some people do want to try these things, so flooding the thread with anti- messages is not helpful. I actually got rep points for posting that thread aside from the comments in the thread (thanking me for posting an alternative option), but when people see a thread so one sided, they tend not to post themselves. Where is the safe space for people who agree with it? This forum is for people who want to explore emotional growth and development but in the depression forum, this sort of thing is not whats wanted there.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; April 14th, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

I get what you're saying Kelly, but I didn't realise you had to agree to all forms of self help in order to post in here. Some I find helpful, others not. Because I haven't found these clips helpful, am I not allowed to post that?

I didn't say you have to agree to all forms of self help. But if you want ideas to help yourself, this is what its for. Many of the posts were not open to self help ideas for depression, and feel its best handled by a psych and drugs - which is fine... just two different options.
    Kelly xx

My issue is not with seeking self help. It is with promoting in any way the concept that people choose depression.
    This is offensive, incorrect and a dangerous message to send to people who are already vulnerable

I'm pretty sure people with depression are interested in emotional growth too. This thread is searchable so where it exists isn't so important.

I think that it's great that some people can be 'fixed' so easily. I can't, that sucks. It's not because I'm not interested in emotional development or because I'm holding on to my depression or that I have no insight into my needs(I read the post and the information is pertinent if your not up to speed on that kind of thing).

I search, I saw this thread, I'm offended. The thread is offered as help for depressed people, to fix depressed people quickly and easily. No mention of different people or broken people like me, no mention that it's an alternative to mainstream therapy (which has helped many, many people) which can help some people with specific problems.

The other reason I take umbrage to this post is because as Bellybelly's creator you are well respected Kelly. People look up to you. When several people reported distress at the original post but you fiercely defended it, it gave the impression that their opinions and well-being were not as important as this message you so strongly believe in.

I feel like context has been lost as I was having a conversation on here
    and that has been lost (until the posts are reinstated).

Once again, Kelly, the majority of posts and general sentiment was with the tone and introduction of the post. Even when you removed the posts, you once again started taking about power and choice. It's hard to deal with this issues adequately because the context has been lost with the removal of posts. I would like to have all the posts returned (unless someone requests their post NOT to be replaced) so that the conversation can continue.

I don't think it's particularly fair that our posts were removed without warning or explanation and then we have to request to have them back.

I hope we can continue this conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, although I thought it was in an inappropriate part of the forum, I also had a lot more to my posts. Why it offended me and I also answered the questions about how this post made me feel and why. 95% of my deleted posts would still be very relevant. I don't think it's all or none, I do believe in medication, it's helped me, but so have a lot of other things.

Some people believe in medication and others don't is what you said, Kelly. Does that mean you believe this to be the cure of depression? Does that mean you don't believe in it all or just for you? No malice, I'm just curious.

Again, for the record, I had NO issue with self help, AR or alternative therapies.
    I did have issue with the tone, wording and how our posts were seemingly ignored.

"when you walk in the freedom of self worth, the opinions of others no longer shackle you"

Anyone watch the last season of Dexter? Rofl, I keep thinking of it.

P.s this is joke, I'm sure AR isn't a serial killer that we know of, anyway.

Take it
    Last edited by loulabelle; April 15th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.

So a post with an opinion that I understand to mean "you have depression because you love being depressed, choose it and need it, but some person thinks he can change your mind and cure you" isn't actually about depression, but curing it. The deprression forum isn't an appropriate place to talk about curing depression. Actually, it is - just not in such an abrasive way, IMO.

I don't care if people think I choose depression or not - that's their stupidity to live with, not mine. But opinions, especially sticky ones, need to be more carefully worded as to not cause offence.

They claim to be different ways to cure depression, everyones depression (who has it) is different, while he maybe able to cure some, others maybe more complicated. I do NOT believe we choose depression, there is no way I wanted to go through the last 6 years of this hell I have been though.

Im one who believes in meds, I have tried other things such as energy healing (Kinesiology), which didnt work, also because I was taking western medicine for asthma and they told me they cannot continue unless I stop taking it - to which my reply is no way I need it to breathe properly. I have tried hypnotherapy, which works for a while however, the root of the problem or trigger as you may call it comes back when another major event triggers the depression again. I have tried distance Reiki and this one I do believe in, it really helped get me back to a place of emotional being that I could be strong enough to move forward, however I am also taking the meds, I needed something extra to help me through a rough patch. Anyway that is just my opinion just wanted to show some other therapies do work (however for me just for a short period) and I need to take meds for the longer period to take the edge off the depression which I never seem to be "cured" from.
    Last edited by *Belle*; April 16th, 2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling

i think this man is brilliant. very motivational. i think it would take a bit more to pull someone from deep depression than just a motivational speech. in my experience,someone that is very depressed is not in a state of mind to even want to absorb anything like this. but in saying that, a lot of other issues that arise (we all have em) could possibly be solved or seen more clearly. i know i just watched the first clip and had a few "ah ha" moments.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast