Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Depression and the 6 Human Needs

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Butter View Post
    I don't care if people think I choose depression or not - that's their stupidity to live with, not mine. But opinions, especially sticky ones, need to be more carefully worded as to not cause offence.
    So far, I've yet to meet anyone with any type of depression who "chooses" to suffer from it.

In the first video segment, Tony Robbins commented on how when someone is depressed you can tell! "When someone's depressed where's their head, where's their shoulders? Down!" Talk about over generalising depression!
    There's a big difference between being depressed and "suffering from depression", and that video clip annoyed me so much that I stopped watching it after the 2 minute mark. I've "suffered" from depression for many years, and suggestions that a behavioral/motivational speaker or positive affirmist (what ever label he has) can alter that suggestively is insulting to my intelligence. I don't mope around or hang my head, and most people would have no idea. I wish my depth of depression was so simply overcome by re-evaluating key needs and creating a positive outlook, but this isn't a workplace presentation I'm having here, this is my life!
    Every human being is unique, irrespective of our nervous system similarites. I have an I.Q. and and E.Q. along with a unique personality and don't like to be generalised. Body language is all well and good, but not when it's over simplified, and there's always more to the puzzle than what first appears.
    Today people are to caught up in quick fixes. Everyone wants everything now! Why wait? Just do steps 1 to 8 and you're all fixed. Simple! ........... I wish!
    Sorry if I've ranted here, but that video really got up my nose and I had to share my thoughts!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Um, Robbins has formed a working partnership with world renown Chloe Madanes, she is the president of his centre, so if you would like to make a more educated opinion, you can read about her here: Workshops with Clo? Madanes - she is the female voice talking over most of the intervention DVDs. Robbins is not a motivational speaker. Again, you're making a conclusion on work you haven't even learnt about or experienced. It's like trying to describe a country you've never even been to... taken one point and ridden it to death because you don't understand his work.

Clo? Madanes is a world-renowned innovator and teacher of family and brief therapy and one of the originators of the strategic approach to family therapy. She has authored seven books that are classics in the field: Strategic Family Therapy; Behind the One-Way Mirror; Sex, Love, and Violence; The Secret Meaning of Money; The Violence of Men; The Therapist as Humanist, Social Activist, and Systemic Thinker; and Relationship Breakthrough.

She has presented her work at professional conferences all over the United States, Europe, and South America, and has given keynote addresses for The American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy, The National Association of Social Workers, The Evolution of Psychotherapy Conference, The Erickson Foundation, The California Psychological Association, and many other national and international organizations. She has won several awards for distinguished contribution to psychology and has counseled outstanding individuals from all walks of life.

She has been featured in Newsweek, Vogue magazine, The Washington Post, and the Boston Globe. Her books have been translated to more than ten languages.
    Her resume:

ASSOCIATIONS

Clinical Member, Supervisor and Fellow of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
    EDUCATION

Licenciada in Psychology, Facultad de Filosofia y Letras, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1965.
    FORMER POSITIONS

Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland, 1980 to 1984.

Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, 1974 to 1980.

Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Howard University Hospital, Washington, D.C., 1975 to 1979.

Director, Family Therapy Institute of Washington D.C. ,Rockville ,Maryland , 1975 to 2001.

Director, Family Therapy Center of Maryland ,Rockville ,Maryland , 1975 to 2001.

HONORS

Awarded the degree of Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa, by the Trustees of the University of San Francisco on the nomination of the faculty and by virtue of the authority vested in them by the Sovereign State of California, May 18, 2001.

Recognized as a Master Therapist by the American Psychotherapy Association, January, 2005.

Presented with a Certificate of Honor by Gavin Newsom, Mayor of the City and County of San Francisco, on behalf of the City and County, for her advocacy in international children’s concerns and as one of the foremost pioneers of strategic family therapy, May 5, 2005.

Award for Distinguished Contribution to Psychology, California Psychological Association, 2000.

1996 Egner Foundation Award for Distinguished Contribution in the fields of Psychology, Anthropology and Philosophy, University of Zurich ,Switzerland.

CURRENT POSITIONS

President, The Robbins-Madanes Center for Strategic Intervention, 1295 Prospect, Suite 201, La Jolla, CA, 92037 Robbins Madanes Center

Speaker, Global Issues and Communications, International Information Programs, U.S. Department of State

President, The Madanes Institute, 1295 Prospect, Suite 201, La Jolla, CA 92037.

Director, Program for the Prevention of School and Family Violence, University of San Francisco Center for Child and Family Development.

Director, Council for Human Rights of Children, University of San Francisco Center for Child and Family Development.
    I think she knows a thing or two about psychology and psychiatry, and anyone of her well known status would not associate with a quack. She is very well known in psychology/psychiatric circles an their centre trains therapists and not just people, as well as working with governments etc. Again, you need to watch all the clips I posted, not just the first one.

Impressive reviews and recommendations from staff at Harvard medical school, and more: http://www.cloemadanes.com/pages/reviews.htm
    Last edited by BellyBelly; April 20th, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

That's pretty funny - a woman who deals with crazy people has the last name Madanes. Sorta like Madness, although I know it isn't pronounced the same.

Ooookay...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

That's pretty funny - a woman who deals with crazy people has the last name Madanes. Sorta like Madness, although I know it isn't pronounced the same.
    I think its known as nominal determinism!

Got to get my giggles where I can, Kelly!

Hahahahahah A glass of wine? Shame I dont like the stuff.
    Kelly xx

Just checked out AR's "Unleash the Power Within" site and found this quote. Free rep points to the first person to find the spelling mistakes! One mistake is an obvious typo but the other is really cute in the context of a self-betterment website LOL.

UNLEASH THE POWER WITHIN is Anthony Robbins' cornerstone program: a crash course in taking massive action to change the quality of your life forever.

In 3 1/2 of the most empowering, educational, and entertaining days of your life, you won't just deal with - you will vanguish - anything holding you back from utilising the force that can instantly change your life.

You will not merely know how to survive glocal changes in the economy, environment and political arena, but how to thrive and prosper at a level beyond what you may have thought possible.
    ETA Watched the YouTube clip - it didn't do it for me - maybe I am too tired or missing something? I prefer Dr Phil.

Glocal and vanguish?

UNLEASH THE POWER WITHIN is Anthony Robbins' cornerstone program: a crash course in taking massive action to change the quality of your life forever.

In 3 1/2 of the most empowering, educational, and entertaining days of your life, you won't just deal with - you will vanguish - anything holding you back from utilising the force that can instantly change your life.

You will not merely know how to survive glocal changes in the economy, environment and political arena, but how to thrive and prosper at a level beyond what you may have thought possible.

Should be: Three and a half (writing in numbers is bad grammar, especially when it could be read as "thirty-one over two"), vanquish, global and TBH I dislike "economy, environment and political arena" - should be "economy, enviroment and politics" or "economical, environmental and political arenae". (Arenae being the plural of arena.)

Vanguish is cute though - a portmanteau of vanquish and languish making self-help so much more important.
    Last edited by Ca Plane Pour Moi; April 23rd, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: I'm not talking about a suitcase

Vanguish is cute though - a portmaneau of vanquish and languish making self-help so much more important.
    Erm... Portmanteau. Lol.

Yep i agree with this list 100% all those things are things i feel i need to be in my life (i have been suffering from depression for nearly 1 yr).

I think that when we do not have those things in our life well my life seems to go pear shaped and out of order. It is a very scary thing for me not to have those things in my life.

Though very happy i do have those things in my life.

LOL, typos happen to the best of us! (I blame the netbook )

I think vanguish is now my word of the week

Interesting how this has progressed and how in where there are things people dont agree with, they look for insignificant things to pick on, like name or spelling, which we all know makes someone incompetent

But I guess when there is no experience or knowledge on the topic, thats all there is to do. Not very 'emotional growth and development' like which is what this forum was intended for, like-minded thinkers interested in growing and expanding their awareness. Judgement contradicts this. Goodwin's rule comes into mind.... When all knowledge is exhausted....

Most people will also never understand the need to merge business/marketing with helping others, you have to market, be savvy, different... And if you have a great product with great people behind you then why the heck not. I market in certain ways bearing both google and real people in mind. But unless you are marketing a business you wont understand.

Someone as successful as that, there is so much I can learn from him, i'd love my business to be so well known with such high profile endorsements and partnerships.

And if you're not upsetting someone, you're not big enough. As Demartini always says, i'm sure i'll **** 50% of you off, but then i'm not doing my job, and helping the other 50% - or something like that. But like Robbins, he's brilliant, believes in something, changes peoples lives, and for that I am very grateful and aspire to. What wonderful things to be able to do.
    Kelly xx

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    But I guess when there is no experience or knowledge on the topic, thats all there is to do. Not very 'emotional growth and development' like which is what this forum was intended for, like-minded thinkers interested in growing and expanding their awareness. Judgement contradicts this. Goodwin's rule comes into mind.... When all knowledge is exhausted....

When you cannot find agreement with you, invoke the "they know nothing card"? I think showing no respect for the opinion or intelligence of those oposing your opinion in this thread is a mistake and fairly ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    And if you're not upsetting someone, you're not big enough. As Demartini always says, i'm sure i'll **** 50% of you off, but then i'm not doing my job, and helping the other 50% - or something like that. But like Robbins, he's brilliant, believes in something, changes peoples lives, and for that I am very grateful and aspire to. What wonderful things to be able to do.
    And this makes posting something insensitive and upsetting to many absolutely okay? It means you must be getting big? No need to worry for the well being of those you've upset?

Not sure your thinking is right here.

This is what I find so frustrating Kelly - as I put in my post in the presterilised version of this thread. I respect your opinion about Tony Robbins, I just don't share it. The reason I objected in the first place was mainly due to your apparent attitude that those who were smart would appreciate it, and those who got upset were obviously not enlightened enough to be bothered about. That hasn't changed, you've just done it again. I realise your probably frustrated that your thread has gotten a little off topic, but did you need to come in and basically everyone's obviously stupid because they're picking on petty things and aren't site owners? Wouldn't it have been easier and more respectful to just post as a mod and ask for it to stay on topic?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast