Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 55 to 66 of 66

Thread: Depression and the 6 Human Needs

  1. #55

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Brisbane,QLD
    Posts
    412

    Default

    there are other forms of medication for depression than just drugs and psychologists. let this thread be a source of potential help. no one is saying this is the be all and end all of depression. (unless iv missed a post). but those that dont agree with it, dont have to. but i dont see how anyone has a right to dismiss it like its some big bad money making machine.
    a LOT of people are positively affected by these kinds of seminars,so would be quite upset to see others being so disrectful. and there are a lot of people looking for this kind of help.
    maybe open a "vent" thread if you would like to discuss it negatively. i dunno if iv crossed the line here, i always seem to get pulled up for something so doesnt matter lol


  2. #56

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,732

    Default

    Interesting how this has progressed and how in where there are things people dont agree with, they look for insignificant things to pick on, like name or spelling, which we all know makes someone incompetent
    I knew that my noting the gorgeous "vanguish" would be construed as an attack on AR but I didn't go looking - I followed one of the other AR links posted because I genuinely wanted to find out more. Vanguish just leapt out at me and I couldn't help posting it. To me, having spelling mistakes on a self-help guru's page is like having a recipe for deep-fried mars bars on a diet guru's page, is all........

  3. #57

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In my own private paradise
    Posts
    15,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    Interesting how this has progressed and how in where there are things people dont agree with, they look for insignificant things to pick on, like name or spelling, which we all know makes someone incompetent

    But I guess when there is no experience or knowledge on the topic, thats all there is to do. Not very 'emotional growth and development' like which is what this forum was intended for, like-minded thinkers interested in growing and expanding their awareness. Judgement contradicts this. Goodwin's rule comes into mind.... When all knowledge is exhausted....
    Do you really think that "emotional growth and development" can only be achieved by agreeing with one idea? I have stayed out of this "re created" train wreck comment wise because i didn't see much point. but this one stuck out for some reason - i don't know what, but it makes me think you're essentially saying that by not agreeing that AR is the be all and end all, people aren't trying to learn and grow in themselves, and i am pretty sure you're not petty enough to make a back handed comment like that...

    Everything in life should be challenged. if we all agree just because someone says this is right, then we're not growing at all. one person says jump and we all jump. that's not learning or growing or developing in ourselves. that's one person taking the path that works for them, and expecting everyone else to follow. i'm sure you'll agree that is unhealthy in any aspect in life. in the same way you cry to all and sundry to question the medicalisation of birth and the obstetric model of care, we all have the right to question this model of "treatment"

    FWIW - i think AR is probably awesome for those situationally depressed that need a kick up the ass to get out of that funk. motivation can work for those in that sort of situation. it might be all they need. but Depression isn't "one size fits all" - and the depression that comes around because your brain chemistry is screwed up - motivation isn't going to be the fix needed. to simplify everything so much is to discount the breadth of the disorder in so many people. i know that what works for me isn't going to work for others. i know that what works for them won't work for me.


    and regarding this comment
    But unless you are marketing a business you wont understand.
    just because we're not marketing BB to the broader community the same you are, doesn't mean we're clueless twits. there are many people on this forum that ARE marketing their business every day - and they tend to take the higher road - choosing not to alienate their existing customer base in a grasp for a broader audience. repeat custom is what makes for a successful business. not the new one=off customers - the ones that come back time and again, the ones that recommend you. word of mouth is the most powerful marketing tool you have - and alienating people by insinuating they are clueless - not a smart move IMO

  4. #58

    Default

    You know what? I have given motivational speakers and books a go. I leave feeling worse. Because my "problem" hasn't gone away. There isn't a lightbulb moment. So it's not that I'm dissing this out of hand. I don't rate Robbins either. He doesn't work for me - so therefore does not work for "everyone". Maybe if he had spoken to me at the start of my depression (over 20 years ago) and helped me change my life it would have worked. To be even blunter - I reckon Gok Wan does more for me than Robbins.

    And you know what? I am a bit judgemental when it comes to a professional web page. If the site owner cannot be bothered to spell words correctly or even have his sentences make sense... that looks bad. If you're a professional body, you spell things correctly. If I received a letter from my doctor with poor spelling, I would question my doctor's abilities. Maybe not everyone would. I go to a seminar, I expect the words on the screen to be correct. On a forum, I accept typos and incorrect spelling, despite it making my life a little more difficult (though still cannot read "text speak" style writing). People here are not being professional - they may be professionals, but this isn't their place of work.

    I love growing emotionally and extending my awareness of stuff - but I'm already aware of this and know that, for me, it doesn't work. Doesn't mean I'm small-minded or stupid.

  5. #59

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    When I said the bit about not knowing I meant most of you were refusing to watch the clips and still judging based on what you heard from others or one or two comments in here. Its not an informed opinion.

    Also the language & words he usesto market - what I would say to represent BB vs what is better marketing - people have to word things to attract others interest, because you are not your own customer.

    On iphone sorry for typos/grammar
    Kelly xx

    Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

  6. #60

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,597

    Default

    Have to say I have watched the clips and I dont get anything out of it, maybe its just me, I have also researched his bio and looked at the link and read with interest his recent collaboration you mentioned. I would be interested to find out exactly what he does (ie his techniques in one to one sessions whether its like a psychologist, psychiatrist or energy healer?

  7. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    FWIW - i think AR is probably awesome for those situationally depressed that need a kick up the ass to get out of that funk. motivation can work for those in that sort of situation. it might be all they need. but Depression isn't "one size fits all" - and the depression that comes around because your brain chemistry is screwed up - motivation isn't going to be the fix needed. to simplify everything so much is to discount the breadth of the disorder in so many people. i know that what works for me isn't going to work for others. i know that what works for them won't work for me.
    FWIW I couldn't agree more!

    Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    Um, Robbins has formed a working partnership with world renown Chloe Madanes, she is the president of his centre, so if you would like to make a more educated opinion, you can read about her here: Workshops with Clo Madanes - she is the female voice talking over most of the intervention DVDs. Robbins is not a motivational speaker. Again, you're making a conclusion on work you haven't even learnt about or experienced. It's like trying to describe a country you've never even been to... taken one point and ridden it to death because you don't understand his work.
    and as far as "educated opinions" go, what makes you think I have not been down the AR path? Is my education and opinion lacking substance? am I unqualified? This stuff has been around since the 70's! And qualifications aren't all that matters! I have spoken with professors that have more PhD's than members in my family tree. Does that mean they are all knowing? No! Qualifications may suit a targeted social group, but not every human being! Freud was a smart man, but I don't want him raising my daughter! Do you see my point? I hope so!

    You have shown Chloe Madanes resume, which summed up in plain english says she has been a Clinical Member, Supervisor and Fellow, a Licenciada (Spanish for University graduate), an Adjunct Associate Professor (part time non tenured), a Clinical Assistant Professor (entry level non tenured) and a Director. Sounds like a very learned Lady! Her website states she became a Master Therapist in 2005, which to my understanding is a Psychologist with a masters degree. This opens up an area of conjecture as some people prefer Psychiatrists! I wouldn't care to pass judgement as to her being a "quack" or not, but maybe I'm just being rhetorical! and now she's doing voiceovers on a DVD?

    A quick Wikipedia search on Chloe Madanes lead me to this (Strategic Family Therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) " Strategic family therapy seeks to address specific problems that can be addressed in a shorter time frame than other therapy modalities. "

    This is brilliant! But has it worked for me? NO! Would I suggest it to people I know? NO! Are you suggesting it to other people? YES! Has it worked for you? YES! From the bottom of my soul I am happy for you, and applaud you in sharing your fortune! Please bear in mind that we are all unique and are entitled to our judgments. I do not pass judgement lightly. I have not walked in your shoes and will not assume that you mean ill will and apologise for any vexation!

    I'm all for help, self help, shared help, whatever it takes, but just like religion, one viewpoint can NOT be stipulated as the be all and end all. We all have different needs. I am extremely envious of those gifted people who can assist others through traumatic times, and I am relieved that people find benefit through so many different mediums. My most prefered medium is Buddhism, but I will not opinionate here, as it is not for everyone!

    It's a fact of life that the interpretation of reality is a conundrum. Mankind has hypothesized it existence for centuries. Quantum physics has proven that purely observing some thing will alter its outcome (irrespective of wether we have partaken or sat silently). There will forever be discrepancies when mankind is involved. Our senses are inconsistent as our brains phases change (apostrophes left out for grammatically incorrectness) from hour to hour and day to day. There are over 30 academic principles of psychology and over 50 sub-categories. This in itself outlines the problem faced by modern day society!

    After all is said and done, Forums like these need to be here! Any help is good help if it's given and not enforced. The best way to learn is from eachother!

    Nemaste

  8. #62

    Default

    and now my post has to be viewed by a moderator before it is visible??????????

  9. #63

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bonbeach, Melbourne
    Posts
    7,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanama View Post
    and now my post has to be viewed by a moderator before it is visible??????????
    That's because you are a new member, it's like that for everyone for a while when someone first joins up, to weed out spammers etc.

  10. #64

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,434

    Default

    For the record, I have watched the clips, and have watched many of his clips before. My issue is not with him at all....but as you say, it ain't worth getting upset over, so I think I'll bow out now.

  11. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanama View Post
    and now my post has to be viewed by a moderator before it is visible??????????
    Your post was placed on automated moderation due to the links

  12. #66

    Default

    Thanks for clarifying that.... I wasn't sure what was going on, but I understand the problem regarding spam etc!.... now I know

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •