Thread: Work and depression?

Default Work and depression?

Has anyone changed jobs to see if that helped with recovery from depression? did it help or did you just feel the same ?
    I applied for another job but now im having serious doubts whether that was the right idea

Im a strong believer of How you leave one place is how you enter another so i dont want to leave if its not right but i thought it might be good to leave to be closer to home and maybe find a job with a more understanding boss my current one i feel pressured that i should recover from depression overnight and it previously has been a quite toxic workplace but recent redundancies has made the workplace a bit better

Default Re: Work and depression?

I did but not just work. I had a very dark period where i was burnt out from work (worked in one of the busiest emergency departments in syd and saw some insane things), i hated the city, plus was javing relationship troubles, i was suicidal, but i also knew that my life was terrible so i broke up with my bf, quit and moved cities. It helped a bit, but a few months later i still needed to be on medication. 6months later when i had found new direction i could wean myself off.
    Butbyes it helped. Hope you work it out

I think you sound on the right track there. I've always been a strong believer in a pull to a positive, rather than a push away from a negative.
    Maybe if you found a job prospect that you were truly excited about, the dynamic of the decision would feel abit more constructive?
    Lots of hugs - a change of jobs always feels so scary, doesn't it? Having the courage to do so and recognise that an environment isn't good for you is a great start xxxx

I think what makes it most scary is I still have a family to support so I don't feel like I have the luxury of just taking my time to find a job that will make me happy sorta thing I don't want to much our finances around ause we're already living dollar to dollar

That makes complete sense. Can you look while you stay in your current job, or are you really feeling like something has to change?

Yes I did, I ended up going on medical leave with depression. I then had lots of issues with workplace bullying and I even had them cut off my leave payments until such time as I saw their nominated doctor as they didn't believe me because my boss thought I "didn't look depressed" what the?! So yes, I never came off medical leave and left, I was willing to take any job I could find to pay the bills and accepted the first that rang back (I got two offers in one day). Was the best thing that EVER happened to me. My 'new' boss is very understanding to my circumstances and the work place environment is sooo much better. I still ended up having a major depressive episode but my work place is a much more supportive place. I get less pay but the conditions are better.

Did you tell your new boss about your depression on application ? Or after?

Default Work and depression?

Jellybean, I've never mentioned to an employer about my mental health. I always felt that no one would take me on if I was that honest. That said, I usually interview well. I've only told an employer about my mental health if I want support from them during a difficult patch, otherwise I've felt it's really none of their business.

It can't hurt to look...?

I didn't mention it in the interviews and thankfully didn't have a medical check that some jobs require. My disclosure didn't happen until I really had to and then they were much more understanding about the situation then I ever expected.