Thread: Buying ethical clothing?

Default Buying ethical clothing?

I'm not sure if that's the correct term, or way to say it, but I have been seeing a fair few articles online about where we buy our clothes. I buy from the big stores, and usually online- Big W, Target, K Mart....or this year, I have also started buying a lot from Vinnies as well. I assume that not everything from these places (if anything?) is ethically made, and environmentally friendly.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there were some places which sold stuff that is ethical and environmentally friendly, or brands in the big chain store which are better than others.

Also, what are your thoughts on looking for/purchasing ethically made environmentally friendly clothing?

Google ethical clothing Australia.
    They certify brands as ethical.
    Vintage/second hand is always more eco than new.
    Etsy, madeIt. You can buy unique pieces made in ethical conditions.

Have you read To Die For. Lucy Siegle (sp) all about clothing supply chains etc

Just watched a repeat of 4 corners on clothing factories in bangladesh, has got me thinkning on this topic of the cheap clothing I buy.

Thanks, this hasn't really been something I put a lot of thought into, other than the fact that I never want to spend a lot of money on clothes, particularly for my kids, since it will likely only last a year or so anyway. I don't buy brand names and will get second hand and hand me downs if I can.
    But if I'm spending money for reasons like things are made in a sustainable way, or it's made by people who aren't slaves or working in horrific conditions, then it would be worth they extra $$. Rather than just for the brand name.

Unfortunately, often someone else is paying for our cheap clothing. The 4corners episode Fashion Victims only deals with Bangladesh, which is not the only country where workers are exploited. The more you look into it and inform yourself, the more likely you'll find brands you feel better about buying.

Good on you for making an effort. I also have some ethical shopping apps on my phone that I like to use.

I love Eternal Creation. Ethical fashion and great quality clothes (I've generally only bought kids' clothes but I've no reason to think the adult clothing would be any different!)