Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Occupy Melbourne/Wall St discussion

Out of curiosity and bearing in mind that a) I am not in Melbourne and therefore am unable to attend and b) I can only judge by what I read in the media so therefore my view is obviously tainted...can someone please tell me what the purpose was last night of singling out and targeting a police officer by printing his details on a flyer and handing them out? Yes I know that the flyer said that he is a "violent" person but at the end of the day was he not just doing his job?

Quote Originally Posted by *Ang* View Post
    Out of curiosity and bearing in mind that a) I am not in Melbourne and therefore am unable to attend and b) I can only judge by what I read in the media so therefore my view is obviously tainted...can someone please tell me what the purpose was last night of singling out and targeting a police officer by printing his details on a flyer and handing them out? Yes I know that the flyer said that he is a "violent" person but at the end of the day was he not just doing his job?
    The purpose? A bunch of idiots who are angry. Wasn't an OM sanctioned move. Although the police were unnecessarily violent, it's a pretty stupid idea to retaliate like that. As for doing his job...hmm, as Cassius said, only Melbourne and Bahrain have been dispersed violently...

Wow that WAS a stupid move by whoever did it and it will tarnish OWS-M. They really need to publicly announce that they did not support that action, and quickly, before the mud sticks.

They already have. Doesn't mean the media will report that

I've been reading this thread for quite awhile, but haven't said much for a host of reasons... But as per my previous post, in principle I agree with the ideals of the Occupy protestors - capitalism is out of control and better regulation is needed to ensure a more equitable society (my words not theirs). But what gets me (and disheartens me) is all the ridiculous propaganda that is being thrown around by protestors. There is so much misinformation out there, that there is very little hope of anything positive every being achieved.

But for the purpose of this discussion, I wanted to come and put some facts on the table:

1. Occupy Melbourne - City Square Eviction
    This was not initiated by the Victoria Police. It was all initiated and directed by the Melbourne City Council (primarily the Mayor, Robert Doyle). While the city square is used as a public place, it is actually private property that is owned by the Melbourne City Council (MCC). The MCC decided that they wanted to evict the protestors from their land (probably because the Queen was coming to town). As any land holder has the right to do, they had the police issue eviction notices. When the protestors failed to comply with the eviction notice, they ordered the police to forcibly remove the protestors. THIS WAS NOT INITIATED BY THE POLICE, THE POLICE WERE SIMPLY DOING THEIR JOB- AS THEY WOULD FOR ANY OTHER HOLDER OF PRIVATE PROPERTY.

So let's give the police a break and perhaps focus our anger at the MCC. I agree that what happened in the City Square was disgusting and unnecessary. It goes against the very essence of democracy. But at the end of the day the police were just doing their job. 1

2. There has been no Australian Government bank bailout
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Butter View Post
    I bailed out the banks with my tax money, I expect to see some regulation.
    Unless you are a US tax payer, you haven't bailed out the banks. The Australian banking system is the most regulated in the world, and I believe that it is for reason that our banks (and citizens) came out of the GFC relatively unscarred.

The issues highlighted by the Occupy group (along with my personal stance) are more to do with the US and some European countries banks, who with the absence of regulation are pretty much a law unto themselves. As a result, profits are allowed to drive everything which has resulted in the economic mess the world is in today. If other countries had banking regulations even half as robust as Australia's, the world would be a much better place.

And for my own take on the situation...

Like I said to begin with, I in principle agree with the big picture ideals of the Occupy movement. But the problem here is there is no real organised protest occurring. They don't have a leader, so when they issue a statement saying that they didn't endorse the pamphlets, nobody is going to listen. If this group wants to be taken seriously (and get some outcomes) they need to work within the systems that already exist. Elect a leader/spokesperson, form some clear cut policies (rather than riding on the back of an unworkable robin hood tax proposal), lobby political leaders and perhaps even form their own political party. Then there may be some hope of them being taken seriously.

I don't have a huge amount to add, except to address the point above about us not having bailed out the banks. The Flying Butter lives in the UK, where she did bail out the banks through her taxes (as did I) and I believe that is what she is referring to

However I am enjoying this thread as I was completely ignorant about what the protesters were protesting and why.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    I don't have a huge amount to add, except to address the point above about us not having bailed out the banks. The Flying Butter lives in the UK, where she did bail out the banks through her taxes (as did I) and I believe that is what she is referring to
    Sorry, I didn't realise that - just assumed she was here.

I'm actually feeling really silly now, I was wondering what the riots etc she was referring to were - silly me

Don't feel silly, it was an easy mistake to make and your post was very informative

great little article from the SMH...

Occupy Melbourne

we went to the rally and march today!

It was a great turn out and a lovely vibe

The latest police response to the occupy Melbourne protests is public sexual humiliation.
    I can't believe that taking a woman's clothes of in public against her will is legal.

Tent Protest Costume Violently Stripped from Protester's Body 061211.MOV (Concise version) - YouTube

That is disgusting.

There must have been some point during the action that at least one police officer would have realised she had no clothes underneath the costume. Absolutely disgusting behavior.

Far out, that is shocking! I can't believe she was treated like that!

Disgusted! Whatever it is people are demonstrating against, no-one deserves to be stripped to their underwear as a show of power from the very people we are supposed to be kept safe by.

I'm shocked by this... That was totally unnecessary. They weren't even attempting to arrest her (not that that would make it ok). Surely someone has reported this.

Power tripping

I was horrified when I read this...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123