Thread: Where to donate? I want to nuture this side of DD

Default Where to donate? I want to nuture this side of DD

DD1 (4yrs) got some new clothes yesterday and asked me if we can give her old clothes to a little girl who has no clothes. Then she mentioned about giving them her old toys "but not the broken ones mum, cause that's not nice".
    I would really like to take her somewhere so she can give them to someone but not sure where.
    I don't really want to go Salvos, but open to other suggestions.

We have always taught her about people that can't afford these things so I really want to nurture this in her. Her pocket money she splits 3 ways - some to save, some to spend and some to give to someone/organisation (she usually gives it to the charities as the local shops collecting coins).

So, hit my with your suggestions.

Aawww she's so sweet!

We give clothes to the salvos or to the SIDS and kids charity which has an outlet at our local shopping centre. We give them toys too on occasion.
    We have also given toys to Ronald McDonald house when I used to work nearby (DD was so proud to give some teddies to sick children). You could maybe ask a hospital?

We always give to the Salvos's but that's cause we are Salvo's Otherwise you could try St Vinnies, Diabete's Australia (they put bags in our mail all the time), or ring around the local charities and see who is taking donations.

we donate to lifeline - and we explain to DD about people that don't have stuff

awwww. your DD sounds like a real sweetheart ! you've done a very good job! as for where to donate, no other ideas apart from salvos!

What about a women's refuge? That's so sweet of her.

I would try a women's and children's refuge.

I was going to say a women's refuge as well. These women usually leave their home quickly and without their or their children's things! We have one in our town that I have taken some of the kids toys to!

Anglicare
    St Vincent de Paul's
    Brotherhood of St Laurence
    Centacare
    Baptcare
    Berry Street

I know lots more if you are in Melbourne - PM me

Do you want to have a bit of a connection with the person you are giving to? Does she go to kinder?
    Our kinder last year made up two boxes of toys and personal items for a child in need (1 x 3yo boy box and 1 x 3yo girl box). The kinder teacher did a beautiful job of explaining things to the kids and instilling a sense of joy and pride in giving to someone who needs it more than them. They drew pictures too and the teacher wrote a letter.

Perhaps something small (your DD's desire to give her things away) could be made in to a much bigger project with help from her kinder teacher.

I'm in Sydney. I was thinking a refuge.
    Not at kinder so just doing it ourselves at the moment.
    She made me so proud (and a little teary) when she did it. She so much like me! Feel free to keep any suggestions coming. X

A lot of refuges are actually 'secret' to protect clients. It may be that you need to contact an auspicing organisation or a women's legal service who will be able to pass them on.

This winter I had a MASSIVE amount of pillows/doonas/sheets/rugs to donate, but I really wanted to donate them where thye would be USED by people in need, and not sold to raise money. After calling numerous charities - like the Salvos and Vinnie's - to be told that they would only be sold on, I found Wesley Mission. They have a couple of accom blocks and things around Melbourne, so I took them straight to them and they used them for people in need.

Not sure if they are in Sydney too, but you can find them on google and FB and contact them to ask where you can take them to so they will be used and not sold.

Slightly ot, but there's a group in Melbourne called st kilda mums who are always after this stuff to give directly to people. They're on fb
    Last edited by littlelara; September 12th, 2012 at 03:09 PM.

That is very lovely of your DD.

I have a friend who foster cares babies. She gets all my DD's old clothes, bedding and toys. Whatever she can't use she gives to other foster carers. My SIL also gives me all her kids stuff to pass on now.

Thanks for the tip on St Kilda mums. They are close to home so will also keep them in mind for donations :-)