Thread: Anaesthetic and Expressing... HELP please x

Default Anaesthetic and Expressing... HELP please x

Hi

I had an op late yesterday and didn't express since (ive been knocked out) and just expressed (supply dropped again as they took me off domperidone for the op) and was told to dispose of the very first expression. Should I still pump regularly and just throw out the milk I get today because it might still have anaesthetic in it? I don't want to give affected milk to my premmie.

T.I.A. Lys x

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Not sure but if you are still in hospital they should be able to find out the answer for you...well you would think. Does the hospital have an LC or some type of breast feeding consultant? Perhaps even their pharmacy department or anaesthetist department could be asked.

Gosh you are very committed to go through the op and get up and express today. Well done!

Hopefully someone can give you some advice.

I was told to only pump and dump the first feed after the op. (Gallbladder removal when DS1 was only 6 weeks old). After that I bf.

I would keep your milk and time and date it and then ask to speak with the neonatal pharmacist and they will let you know what is safe.
    Hope you are feeling better soon

You should certainly keep pumping. You probably don't need to dump (a heck of a lot of women BF very soon after having a c-section) - but it depends on how clever the anaesthetist was. Check with him/her before feeding bub.

Anaesthesist said to dump until 24hrs after the op. So all today is dumped. checked the milk bank with all my milk in and she's got enough for a few days.

It's terrible having to dump milk isn't it. All that hard work down the drain. On the upside it's great that you have enough in store to get by. Great work on that!

it must depend on what sort of anaesthetic you have - I was able to keep expressing and use the milk for DS ... it was very think for a while (as I was on a liquid only diet for several days) but I mixed it with previously expressed milk to thicken it a bit.

are you ok, hun?

Very very sore. Not having many pain killers because I want her milk to be ok for her.

Four killer scars to heal. Hopefully they stop hurting soon. Thanks for asking. I came out of the anaesthetic terribly. But all ok now I think. Milk went up to 200mls today, all of which is down the drain

Sorry to hear that you had to pump and dump. if it helps I've just had a csection and the painkillers I'm taking aren't affecting my little man at all. Could you ask what they give to mums who've just had csections?

Hope you recover really quickly

They give stronger drugs but I can't have them until my liver function gets back to normal.

Hugs - hope the soreness subsides fairly soon.

you're doing a great job.

it's so painful to think of your milk being thrown away, but you're keeping your supply up, and doing everything you can for your baby girl.

you're doing awesome xoxo