Thread: Benefits of EBM after 6 months?

Question Benefits of EBM after 6 months?

Can anyone tell me please, the benefits to my DD in me continuing to express for her.

I know milk changes after 6 months & although I am fairly certain it's still good for her, saying 'because it's good for her' or 'because I want to' is starting to wear a bit thin

I fed DS2 for 14 months but that was largely a booby thing, whereas DD2 couldn't care less

Is she still getting antibodies etc, is it of any benefit to her immune system still?

She will still get less sick because she will get your antibodies to any "family bugs"...

there is also some evidence that babies who are BF while they are starting solid foods have lower rates on average of allergies than FF bubs

It's not really clear to me how much BM is needed for these things to happen - i.e. if you were to ask me whether Arlea would get the same benefits from 200ml/day or 800ml/day I couldn't answer you!

interesting questions honey... as you know I BF Jacob but I also express for him everyday to take to CC 4 days a week... its hard work and DH thinks we should stop expressing and just give him formula for those bottles... hmm i am not sure and I am also wondering what benefits he would miss out on... especially bc i fear if i do that he will soon wean and be on formula soon (though not long til cows milk...). he does have the odd bottle of form when i havent expressed enough... but generally it is EBM when i am not there and the real deal when I am! (also he prefers ebm which i think is benefit enough)..
    anyway interested in the benefits at this age... (he also doesnt eat many solids)

Well, I bf my DD until she was almost four and she was the only child in 2 1/2 years of preschool that had never had a sick day. Breastmilk contains antibodies in a higher concentration once your child is older and feeding less often. If she's in frequent contact with other children that will certainly benefit her.

There are many, many benefits for continuing to provide your little one with bm, and they don't end at 6 mths, 12 mths, or 2 years even. Our children are meant to drink human milk well beyond what society currently views as preferrable. The WHO says most children will wean between 2 and 5 years. Logically I would think that means their bodies are designed to get benefit from bm. Are you bfing her at all, or just EBM? Well done to you for your fabulous effort!

Thanks guys for your replies

Jennifer, I'm EE for her. So I'm particularly interested in the health benefits, as we don't have the same physical feeding relationship ITMS.

And for everyone (IRL) who asks why I still bother doing it, I want to be able to say with conviction that it's best for her & her immune system is still benefiting from it (even though we are all sick atm and she still seems to get our bugs)

Heaven that link is great, thanks I might print it & carry it with me

Mamapan hugs i understand what you're up against there, I've been there myself although DH is pretty good - FWIW I think if you are expressing & you are still happy to do it, then keep doing it

Kmn it's an intersting idea whether they benefit as much from a little, I guess it depends on how much is being expressed? if as Jennifer says the concentration of anti-bodies is higher when you express less...hmmm.