Thread: Breast to bottle

Default Breast to bottle

Hi,

Im currently fully bf on demand, and I have a huge stockpile of EBM in the freezer. I was thinking of returning to work next year, for one night a week, and leaving ds with dh. But have recently tried giving him the EBM in a bottle and he has been refusing. When you put the bottle in his mouth he just chews on the teat. We currenly have the avent bottles. If he doesn't take to a bottle I will have to put any ideas of going back to work on the backburner. I was wondering what other peoples experiences were with going from breast to bottle of EBM, and what bottles worked for you.

thanks

we just used those squirty syringes when DS was really little, and then moved onto the Dymples and Avent ones. We used a mixture, so he got used to different teats.

keep it up - he'll get there

nice work on getting the EBM stashed up! it's hard work but worth it

hi there, i always found that DS wouldn't take a bottle if i was trying to give it to him or even if i was in the house. he would occasionally be babysat by my MIL who had absolutely no trouble giving him a bottle have your DH tried giving your DS a bottle when you're not home?

i think you may also find that if he's that bit older, he might not want anything while you're gone or would be happy to even take it out of a sippy cup...i'm guessing he'll be about 7 months at least by the time you return to work?

my (limited!) experience is that they do adapt but when mum is home, they revert to 'normal'!

if you are waiting til next year, you could give him ebm in an open cup or sippy cup. don't stress to much yet, many kids learn to drink ebm when mum is not there.

Hi,

I agree with Hot1. After 6mnths most babies are able to very successfully take EBM from a sippy cup - and that depends on what time you go to work. If you can feed her to sleep before you go then chances are she might not even miss you! Remember, when she is 6mnths old she will be eating as well, and this will change the ball game.

thanks guys,

Yeh DH tried to give him a bottle when he hadnt seen me at all, but still refused. But tried him with a cup and he was more eager, though hopefully by the time he is 7 months he will master it better. Will also probably be starting solids this week, as he will be 4 months and he appears eager to try. Just got to see if he can get the hang of it with his tongue. I also normally feed him to sleep about 6.30-7.30pm and he usually sleeps through, but im more worried about the nights when he wants a feed every 3-4hours, which still happen occasionally. I would be leaving home around 8pm and getting back around 8.30am. And he usually has his first morning feed around 6-7am if not earlier.