Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bubby won't attach :(

Default Bubby won't attach :(

Hi all.
    First let me say this is very early days for us, I know with persistence we will most likely have a break through.
    My boy is 4 days old and just won't attach. He has BF a total of 4 times, all in hospital and after alot of boob slinging by the midwives.
    I've been shown every trick and position nothing works.
    He curls his tongue up in the way but even when I get it all in he won't latch. Yet he shows every sign of wanting to BF.

He got all my colostrum as I was very good at hand expressing and syringe feeding. Luckily my milk came in no probs and I could start using a pump on day 3. My supply is good and gets bigger every day to match his increasing hunger.

He loves to suck on my finger or a dummy so today I tried a nipple shield as I thought it might be easier to get up the back of his mouth.
    First try he latched but didn't suck enough, just went to sleep. Still I considered it a successful start.
    But from then he wouldn't take it, it just falls off and gets in the way as he fusses.

So tonight I decided to try the bottle direct rather than the ebm in a syringe as he now has alot more. And he loved it. Drank all 60mls I had. I have very mixed feelings about it, my heart felt so much relief to see him guzzle down some tucker, I can go back to bed knowing he isn't hungry. But it breaks a little because it makes me think we may end up doing full time ebm.

Every feed our routine is try both sides from the breast. Then the ebm when it is to the point where I just need him fed. Then I have to express for the next time. It all takes a couple of hours and is so draining.

I am going to phone the LC and try to get in today or tomoz.
    At the moment we are living in a hotel in Brissy as we couldn't have bub in the country town where we live. I have faith when we get home and settle in things may change for us. And luckily there is good BFing support in the town where we live.

This was a little long winded but I guess I'm looking to vent and get some reassurance it's ok to bottle feed ebm for now. I don't understand why the hosiptal makes you leave with a problem and a bag full of guilt. They are so BF only. Is emb not considered BFing? Is it not the 2nd best option?
    If the prob was pain or supply I'd be feeding through it and doin my best but how can I persist at feeding a child from the breast if he just won't latch?

I know how you are feeling, my first born had a lot of trouble attaching and it was so hard because you worry they are not getting enough to eat.

In the end I used a nipple shield up until he was 5 months, he just had too short a tongue and it was the easier way for me.

The brand of shield I used was Pidgeon, I have had friends who used the Medala ones, I think they may be the best. I think seeing a lactation consultant would be really helpful for you, although still go by what you think. I saw one when mine was 6 weeks old and she tried to say he didn't need to use the shield, well he just wouldn't latch without it. I luckily had a very supportive Child Health Nurse who supported me in using the shield.

My only suggestion is to keep offering the breast first, he may just be a bit sleepy and will latch better in a few days.

Good Luck, it is very hard at times but you will get there.

I think it is totally fine to be offering the EBM, especially at this early stage when weight is so so so important. What you said I totally agree with, ideally your LO would be BFing but until you can get that sorted (and the LC will help you with that) then it's a good second option IMO. Your attitude is wonderful, you sound so positive about getting this sorted and I am so impressed.

Congratulations on the birth of your son and enjoy these early days.

Don't feel guilty Hun your doing the best you can!
    Try feeding him straight after a sleep because this is when He is most alert.
    Hope the LC helps you xoxoxoxox

Love MN ;-)

Jaki - I expressed for 6 weeks before bub got the hang of attaching, and he's still feeding now at 3.
    It will get much easier if you can express enough to be one feed ahead. That way you can try to attach (put a 5 minute limit on it), give the ebm if needed, and express once bub is fed and settling (my ds found the pump noise quite soothing).
    Bub will grow and get the hang of it - in the meantime expressing will keep up your supply and ward off the mastitis monster, and also ensure that he gets fed.

It is also very possible that bub will find it easier to attach to an emptyish boob - so try expressing and then attaching (and then give some of the ebm back to bub) as well.

Congratulations!

I'm so glad you posted on here babe. I hope that the LC can help today

I'll text you shortly.

You're doing a great job x

Jaki, is there a bf clinic anywhere in Brissy? My sister had similar dramas with a sleepy bub not wanting to attach and she ended up going to a bf day stay clinic at one of our big public hospitals and they got it nailed after two full days.

Also seeing an LC is a fantastic idea, good luck with getting an appointment!

You are doing such a great job, hang in there!

Thank you all so much.

We are only in brissy till weds so if I can't see anyone here I'll get straight in at emerald, infact I will go there also anyway.

That BFing day stay sounds so awesome! I've never heard of it before.

Little man also finds the breast pump noise soothing, it puts him right off to sleep

Thanks again!

X

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

Ahhhhh you poor thing. Big squissy hugs xxx

I give J Man EBM for middle of night and if we are out.

Did u get the shield like mine?

No we walked the whole city and only could find an advent one, it's no good. Just slips around when he is mucking about.
    I know I can get one like yours in emerald at the chemist near my house

Meanwhile I wish I'd bought a twin pump.. One boob leaks as I'm expressing the other... What a waist!!!

I have a twin pump. I hardly use it, do you want me to bring it over?

I think it is awesome that you are working so hard to get BFing happening. A mum in my mum's group had very similar issues to you, and with the same fierce determination and some hardcore pumping, she's now BFing really well. So it can happen. Let Sue know if you want that pump, and she can let me know.

I'm seeing you both tomorrow girlies. Jaki in the morning, Audax in the arvo. Jaki, let me know if you want that pump babe xxx

Or I can run it over - we're only 3km from the city.

Well done so far Jaki. I hope with a bit of work things will come good for you soon - getting baby fed is always the first priority, but a smooth breastfeeding relationship would make things easier for you.

I wonder, when do you try to feed? Sometimes if they're sleepy (as they often are early on) or upset, they have a lot of trouble latching. Someimtes it can work better if you try when they've just woken up, for eg. Are you in touch with the ABA? They may also have some good advice and support for you - 1800-686-2-686

Can you put a container under the leaking boob in the mean time?

All the best~

Jaki- I had the exact same thing happen with DD (she is nearly 7 now) and I fed her EBM for 5 weeks, and kept trying once or twice a day to get her to Breastfeed....5 weeks to the day she was born, I was lieing on the bed one day, again trying to get her to feed (she had not latched on ONCE in 5 weeks!) when all of a sudden she did...she latched on perfectly and fed from me for an HOUR! and from that day foward we never looked back!

Going to see an LC as soon as possible will be the bext thing possible. Good luck, and don't feel guilty or be hard on yourself!

Thanks ladies...

Audax thanks heaps for the offer but the LC has me on a plan to express one side then the other for 5-7mins, then repeat.

I feel like a dairy cow! Lol

She says Wyatt has a bit of a tongue tie and jaundice... Both of these things he was cleared from by the middies. Grr.
    I'm going back tomoz.

So looks like I'm on this express train for a while. I will continue to offer the breast and just concentrate on getting him fed so the jaundice pings off. His tounge will hopefully sort itself out.

Thanx again for all the support

So happy right now!!!

Guess what I'm doing?????

Breastfeeding ma boy

LC suggested a better brand shield, but the wrong size so not much success....
    Then some loverly lady just happened to gift me the smaller one and it worked right off the bat!!!

I know it may not go that way every time but I'm so pleased

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast