thread: Can i feed ebm that mainly has foremilk?

Nothing like a cuddle from DD after a hard day's work!

Oct 2007
    in my own world

Can i feed ebm that mainly has foremilk?

Hi

I believe dd2 had lactose overload and to avoid peojectile vomits
    I express 100mls of milk from the right boob in the morning before feeding her to help with the oversupply.

I have frozen the ebm but wondering if i should feed this to her in near future or discard it?

Thanks

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

Generally speaking, lactose overload stems from too much milk, too quickly. There isn't really any such thing as foremilk and hindmilk - they're very confusing terms. The only thing that really changes through the feed is that the percentage amount of fat increases. Often mothers are told that the 'foremilk' is watery and sugary. Well, breast milk is mostly water, yes, and there is more fat at tthe end of the feed, but there is no magical point when your milk changes from one kind to another, and there is no change in the amount of lactose in the milk.

The point of all this is - that it should be fine.

If she's having issues with oversupply and/or forceful letdown, then it might be helpful to pace the feed if you're using a bottle, so it comes nice and slow. How long has it been in the freezer? It might keep for some time yet.

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2005
    Sydney

The composition of your milk doesn't change that much during a feed IMHO, despite all the talk of hind and foremilk. Your let down is triggered more than once during a bf, and would be during an expression time too, so who's to say when it is getting the first lot and when the rest is coming through? The ebm is fine for use when kept in the recommended timeframe and temps.

What has led you to believe that it's lactose that is upsetting your DD2 and that it is from your milk? Do you have intolerances in your family? Is she projectile vomitting soon after she feeds or during? If you have a super fast letdown that can make your baby gulp it down all too quickly and then her little tummy spits it all back out as it's overloaded. Dealing with a fast letdown is possible by adjusting position and maybe hand expressing a little off beforehand, but expressing 100 mls from your bb first will probably only cause your bb to make more milk (supply and demand at work here), contributing to further oversupply for that feed. DTMS?

Oct 2007
    in my own world

Only the last week i have started expressing go see i it helped with her reflux

I havent tried bottle as she refuses to take the bottle so was going to store the ebm for when she is ok with the bottle.

Madb youre a saviour. Thank you once again!!!!

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2005
    Sydney

I found ebm is great for weetbix when they're older too, so nothing wrong with a stash in the freezer.

Hope her tummy settles down soon.

Oct 2007
    in my own world

It seems to happen mainly on my right which has an oversupply that has not settled yet. She is always choking on right boob and when she feeds from right she will projectile vom and do explosive poos then get gassy stomach upsets.

Ive seen doc and he prescribed zantac (1ml) and said i can try it IF i wanted but i said ill wait and see.

I have currently stopped milk to see if it improves as well.

With lactose overload its because ahe also had a few green poos and she exclusively breastfed

Also am block feeding and mainly feed on left at night but right boob still oversupply

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

I think righty reckons you're feeding twins!
    Ok, so some green poos, etc, might suggest lactose overload. particularly if you've got an oversupply on one side. Sounds like you're already doing the right things - I hope it settles down for you.
    Maybe try expressing a tiny amount before the feed, rather than a large amount? Or was the 100ml a one-off? As Jen says, that will encourage more production.

Oct 2007
    in my own world

Thats a once off every morning. I dont express during the day.