Thread: Defrosting EBM

Default Defrosting EBM

Hi there,

I"m an EE so I have built up a whole shelf of EBM in the freezer. I have only dipped into it from time to time and I have read some instructions for defrosting and using frozen EBM but there are a few things I"m not sure of:

1. When defrosting in my fridge it takes about 24 hours before one 200ml packet of EBM defrosts. I know it should be used within about 5 hours (or something like that) of being defrosted. Do I take this from the time it is completely defrosted? I want to defrost in the fridge because the milk in the packet has a longer timeframe to be used than if I put into warm water to defrost. I have stored milk to the maximum capacity of each bag ie: 200mls rather than what I normally put in bottle ie: 120ish mls hence the desire to keep the left overs for the next feed.

2. I have noticed that there is some crystal like bits in the defrosted EBM packet. Perhaps it is some really small icy bits and maybe isn't completely defrosted I'm not sure. Does anyone know what the crystal bits are and if that's all fine to tip into the bottle as well?

Thanks

Pretty sure defrosted EBM needs to be used within 24 hours - it might be when it's defrosted in warm water that it's 5 hours. I would take it from when it is fully, or mostly defrosted.

How often is bub feeding? You might be able to defrost in warm water (or at least speed the process up) and split it into 2 bottles, put one straight back in the fridge. I would think it would be fine for a few hours until the next feed, especially if it's not actually getting warm (I found quite often when i defrosted EBM there was a point where it was liquid, but not warm IYKWIM).

The crystals are probably watery bits of EBM or maybe milk fat that is still frozen? I think if it's been in the packet with the milk, it's fine to tip in the bottle.

HTH

ETA - ABA guidleines are as follows: (link HERE)

Freshly expressed into a closed container
    Room temp - 6–8 hrs (26?C or lower). If refrigeration is available store milk there
    Fridge - 3–5 days (4?C or lower) Store in back of refrigerator where it is coldest
    Freezer 2 weeks in freezer compartment inside refrigerator.
    3 months in freezer section of refrigerator with separate door. 6–12 months in deep freeze (-18?C or lower).
    Previously frozen— thawed in refrigerator but not warmed
    Room temp 4 hours or less (ie the next feeding)
    Fridge Store in refrigerator 24 hours
    Freezer Do not refreeze
    Thawed outside refrigerator in warm water
    Room temp For completion of feeding
    Fridge Hold for 4 hours or until next feeding
    Freezer Do not refreeze
    Infant has begun feeding
    Room temp Only for completion of feeding, then discard
    Fridge Discard
    Freezer Discard

With DD1 I would defrost in the fridge if I had the time and then separate into bottles, I would use it with 24hrs of being defrosted or discard.

If I needed the milk soon I would pull it out of the freezer and sit it in hot tap water and keep heating the water until it was thawed and then I would use it... I would discard the rest as I had heated it. It was bait wasteful, but I tried to store in amounts that she would drink

HTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

The crystals are probably just bits of cream (or fat) that rise to the top - just shake it gently and it will all go back together

thanks everyone that has really helped!