Thread: How long can you actually keep frozen EBM for?

Default How long can you actually keep frozen EBM for?

I've read different things regarding the length of time you can store EBM in a freezer in a fridge/freezer. I'm sure the hospital told me 3 months, but I've read 3-6 months on some websites. Does anyone know how long I can keep it for? I have heaps in there. We use 1 bottle a day from the freezer (I express at this time and freeze). I have so much stored from when she was in hospital I know a lot will go to waste if I only have 3 months to use it....

About three in a normal freezer and longer in a deep freeze. Also, keep your milk near the back of the freezer if you can, not in the door and not near the front.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

2 weeks for freezer inside a fridge
    3 months in a freezer with a sepearte door to fridge.
    6 months deep frezzer.

6-12mths deep freeze

If you have spare do you have a milk bank near you? Or someone advertising for milk?

Thanks everyone. I'm wondering if I should give a couple of bottles of EBM a day and express twice to 'use some up'?. I'm still only up to using the stuff I expressed when she was 3 weeks old!

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean88 View Post
    If you have spare do you have a milk bank near you? Or someone advertising for milk?
    Hmmmm thanks for the idea. I'm not sure if there is anything around here.....

Can you give some to your older child? Introducing more bottles might lead to other issues.

Expressing at the start had a few functions, it provided milk for your bub but it also helped to establish our supply so now you don't 'need' to use the expressed milk. How would you feel about stopping expressing and just feeding your bub at the breast?

HotI - I've got no problems feeding her at the breast, I guess the bottle a day (with me expressing) has just become part of our bedtime routine and allows DH to have a turn feeding her, something he was really upset to miss when he had an accident early in DD1's life.

That makes sense. I didn't mean anything by it, just sometimes people get into the routine of expressing (cos they need to at the start) and forget that they might not need to forever. It's great that you have found something that works for you.

Yeah that's fine. I knew nothing was meant by it . Still doesn't solve my excess milk problem though lol.

Cooking with it? Giving it to DD1? Awesome luxurious bath for baby?

You might use some when baby starts solids, but that won't help with your early supplies.

I definitely agree with either the milk bank, or unfreezing some and giving it to DD1 in a sippy cup (if she likes it) wouldn't hurt, give her some extra nutrients and immunity
    i wouldn't be inclined to give DD2 any more bottles yet because she's still so young and like others have said, don't want to cause any problems, however, i wouldn't stop expressing, because it's good to have for if/when you want to go out for the night/day, then you have plenty of milk for DD without having to worry about having enough milk, or for when DD2 starts solids, you can mix EBM in with the food instead of normal milk or things like that

It keeps for up to 12 months in a deep freeze according to NICU Nurses. The colder it goes, the longer it can be stored. I know alot of mums use it in everything when introducing baby to foods, in cereals, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by feeb View Post
    2 weeks for freezer inside a fridge
    3 months in a freezer with a sepearte door to fridge.
    6 months deep frezzer.
    It is actually up to 12 months in the deep freeze (which is -18c or lower)

Thanks everyone! If only we had a deep freezer!

I plan to use it in foods once she starts solids, but that won't be for another few months!

I think you should also use the occasional bottle for when you can go out without the girls for some "me" time

We used it up to about 12 months in the deep freezer, and it was completely fine. Once heated, any not drunk went into a cup for our toddler, or on his cereal