Thread: how much?

Default how much?

how much should i be able to express at the mo. bub is 3 weeks and i have been tryin to express the fullest breast first thing of a morning but i am only gettin about 40 to 60 mls.
    i feel like it should be more.

Are you using a manual or electric breast pump- I find the amount you can express differs between the two and how often are you expressing eg every 3 hours etc?

My supply dropped so I am currently on motillium to keep supply up and I express between 60-90 every 2-3 hours. I think this might be considered a low supply though.

Are you fully EMB feeding or bfing aswell?

I found that if I expressed in the morning from both boobs before the morning feed, I could get a few hundred ml.. But that is alot. When I express in the arvo or at night I can only get 100 or so ml. And that is now at 19 weeks.

It's different for everyone hun. There is no amount you "should" be getting, and the amount you get does not really tell you much about your supply, so don't worry! For some mums 40mls at a time is a lot, others can get over 100mls without really trying. It's one of those things that different between individuals. It might be that you will start to get more with a different pump, or with some more practise, but not necessarily. By the way, what pump are you using?

I always found that about 50mls was a good amount to store in a batch anyway, but if you want to make bigger amounts you can mix batches to keep in the fridge for 3 - 5 days or freeze, as long as they are the same temperature when you mix them.