Thread: How much ebm do I leave??

Default How much ebm do I leave??

Ok so have to go out fir the whole day tomorrow and have a supply of ebm in the freezer. My question is how much do I leave in the fridge for dh and do I use a slow flow 1 hole or medium 2 hole teat? Ds is 6 weeks.
    TIA

Anyone?

How often does he feed? I'm sorry I can't remember how much I used to leave at that age, about 80ml a feed from memory?? I would also try and feed just before I went out. I didn't thaw too much as I figured if worst came to worst they could use the microwave to defrost it very carefully. I was more worried about wasting the ebm than microwaving a d and reducing it's immunity value. I think the website kellymom has a great guide and I used that to start with

Slow teat (for BF babies of all ages).
    If it hasn't defrosted in time DH can stand it in hot tap water until it does.

I think most babies need an average of about 750mls a day. You divide this between how many feeds a day. Mine usually had about 800mls but sometimes as low as 700mls. I've heard that some BF babies hold out on drinking a lot until they see their mum again.

In terms of defrosting I agree with KMN, just defrost under the tap. Microwaves destroy some of the properties in BM.

The website that Dragon Cookie posted is a great link and gave me so much information about using, handling and storing BM. It includes a calculator to work out how much a bub needs per feed.

Also slow teats at this age, but at any age if you want to continue on the breast.

Thanks sooo much ladies. So I will defrost 150 tonight and leave in the fridge whatever I express tomorrow morning as back up!