Thread: Medications while using b/milk

Question Medications while using b/milk

Hi all im b/feeding our new bub but am expressing to do it.But am wanting to know if anyone knows how long it takes for pain meds to go through your system before its clear?

I only ask as ive needed to take mersondole and we have enough to still feed bubs and will still express but will throw it out due to the meds passing into the milk i just dont know how long it takes to pass through :S

Sorry to be a pain ive just got no idea lol

I don't know sorry hun but the ABA might be able to help 1800 686 2 68

Hi,
    The general principle that nearly all drugs can be safely used in breastfeeding. While some of the drug goes into the milk, it usually is not problematic. You usually don't have to discard your milk. If you can wait til tomorrow, ring one of the drug information lines such as mothersafe in NSW or the Monash Medical Centre drug information line in Meblourne (some one will helpfully give you the numbers)

thankyou Yep was told its safe for short term use but to be safe i made sure i got rid of one lot and then kept the rest lol over carefull but best to be safe lol

Hi,

If you have been told it's safe to use then it's safe to use. I see you have said you have plenty of ebm to feed - but keep in mind that using formula is far more risky for your baby than your breastmilk with a bit of medication in it (often the same meds babies would recieve directly)

Not all medications are safe when breastfeeding however Mersyndol is safe for short periods.

Thankyou