Thread: Milk supply slowing down

Default Milk supply slowing down

Not sure what has changed but my milk supply is slowing right down. I've been stressed at work lately so maybe that's affecting it. I work full time and my son is nearly 4 months. Any advice?

Around this age your supply has adjusted and is well established, you won't get any engorgement (unless you skipped a couple feeds). Early on when your milk was coming in your breasts would have felt quite full as they get used to making the right amount. Just because they aren't hard and engorged doesn't mean your supply is diminishing.

Is baby fussing and searching for more after a feed? Is she losing weight? If no, then all is ok mamma.

Oh, and search 'Timeline of a Breastfed Baby' - very helpful.

Thanks. I'll google it.

Definitely not engorged anymore.

Wow I've never seen that timeline before its great it kinda gives milestones to work towards

Hi Dreambabies
    If you'd like to give some more details about what's going on maybe we can come up with some suggestions for you

I assume you're pumping at work?

Stress sucks for everything.

If you're not getting as much while pumping maybe revisit your environment - make sure you've got somewhere quiet, calm, leave work outside the door while pumping, pics or videos of your baby to help let down, etc. I found doing breast compressions when milk had slowed down helped me empty a bit more while pumping too.

I work from 8am to 4pm and breastfeed just before I leave and express twice during the day and breastfeed as soon as I get home. I usually get 450-500mL. Yesterday it took me ages to get 300mL. Logan drinks 3 x 200mL while I'm at work. Sometimes 4 bottles if I'm late getting home. He swaps between bottle and breast well - no issues there. He's a hefty little lad. Just shy of 4 months and about 9kg.

He's only ever had breast milk. Never had a formula top up and no solids.

Also, I was getting engorged everyday - especially overnight if my son slept longer. Now my breasts are always softer. I just expressed 5 minutes ago and got 270mL so that's good. Logan usually feed again at 1am so I only express once a day over the weekend and 3 times each week day.

I have to keep my water up. I think it makes a difference for me. It's such a conscious effort for me to drink water in winter.

Great job feeding your baby!
    So do you feel you're back on track today? It may be that you've had a 'bad' day and things are better now. Stress doesn't really affect supply, as such, but it can interfere with getting a letdown, which can mean you get less out - and over time, can thus affect supply as well. If it's an ongoing problem, perhaps you can try extra sessions at times when the expressing works better for you, so there's less pressure to get lots out at work?
    Lots of breastfeeds when you're together will help, too.

I felt better with the amount I expressed yesterday. My boobs are still so much softer than last week but he's obviously getting enough. He's not fussing at all.

Hun, you won't be engorged anymore because your body makes just the right amount.

That's good to know. I think I felt guilty that I wouldn't be able to feed my son because I work full time.

It's normal for boobs to get that soft feeling after a while, and when it happens differs for everyone.