Thread: Which pump?

Default Which pump?

My little one is 15 days old but hasn't made it back up to her birth weight. Our dr has recommended hiring a pump to up my supply (basically our conclusion is that bub hasn't got a strong enough suck to stimulate a good supply, it's the first time I've had supply issue, my other three fed like troopers). So anyway, every where in town that hires, has run out of pumps lol, so I'm considering buying one. I have borrowed a medela swing from a friend, but she also has a newborn, so I don't really want to keep it for too long.

So... Recommendations on pumps? I want electric, I will only be expressing at home. Is the medela symphony good?

Default Re: Which pump?

I had the Swing with DD. I wouldn't think you would need to buy a Symphony if you are only planning to pump temporarily because it is pretty high grade- two pumps etc and more expensive. The Swing is portable, which I liked, a single pump and very efficient.

I think you can hire from the ABA and a couple of other online places if you are interested in online hiring?

I pumped full time with the swing, wouldn't see why you would need to purchase a symphony although you can hire them if needed.

Hi lee_bee, this is a little left of centre but if you buy a good one which you would then recommend, I will be in the market for one in six months!
    I had an over supply with my two babies, so much so that it caused me anxiety with my first. Us poor chicks can't win!
    Oversupply problem probably didn't help that with my second I was so stressed about the pain of a newborn latching on, that I would express and then bottle feed. End result was I could breast feed pain free, but could have fed an army! But I did happily breasttfeed for nine months. Good luck.

Hi lee_bee. Have you checked with the ABA at all for pumps?
    Also, have you spoken with a lactation consultant about your feeding issues as well? It sounds as though your doctor suspects a problem with your baby's ability to feed, rather than with your supply. Did he have an idea what the underlying cause of the problem was and how to rectify that?
    Pump-wise, if you're doing a lot of pumping to replace feeding or ensure/build up supply, then mums tend to find that the double electric, hospital-grade pumps that you'd hire are best. Failing that, if you buy one, get a double electric one. The symphony is what you'd be hiring, but it's very expensive to buy. How does the swing work for you? If it seems to do the trick maybe start there?

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Yep another who has a medala swing! I expressed a lot and found it awesome

Medela Swing here too, awesome pump

I've got the Medela Freestyle (double electric) and it's brilliant. The Swing is a brilliant, cheaper pump though and it also comes in a double now

Thank you. I just realised that I had thought the symphony was cheaper because I didn't read the info correctly, I was reading the hire price lol. Oh dear. My bub had her first EBM after a 20min BF, she was soooo happy. Which makes all the effort worth it. My poor little bub just couldn't get the milk out of me I expressed 80ml and she took 65 of it.

MadB thank you for the ABA tip, but there isn't a group where I live (regional WA), but I have heard tonight that the Child Health Nurse may have one, so I'll be on the phone tomorrow ASAP!

Oh and MadB, dr thinks bub is just too weak now to suck properly. It took her a while to get her latch right plus she was a very sleepy baby & a very easy going one, she won't really cry for food, she will just fuss for a minute or two. So it all contributed to a lack of supply. So we are now pumping to increase as well as a script for tablets to increase supply. I will ask the lactation consultant tomorrow for a chat, she is the one who is a clinic nurse who might have a pump I could borrow. Fingers crossed!

I see! It is a really good idea to get her looked at by an LC. Was she prem? Jaundiced? Any other health issues? How often is she feeding? What is her poo output like? Has she been assessed for tongue or lip tie, problems with her palate?
    You can also call the ABA helpline to have a chat with a counsellor - 1800-686-268

It's great that you're getting the milk into her! Good work.

MadB She was born at 39+3, via c-section (c-section #4 for me, not fun!). I've never had a supply issue with the other three though. Back to dr tomorrow, so she will have a good look at her to see what's going on. I've also called the LC and left a message to call me

Hope you get on well with the LC and doctor.