Thread: Questions about giving EBM

Default Questions about giving EBM

Hi,
    My hubby and I want him to start giving our 9 week old EBM for a feed a day so I can leave bubs with him for the occasional outing and later returning to work. Any tips on which are good bottles for this? Also, how do I know how much to give her per EBM feed? Any help would be great. Thanks

The bottles seem to vary with bubs - the important thing is to get a newborn teat (and to keep with that even as bub gets older). This is so she still has to suck well to get her milk.
    How often does she feed in a day?? she's probably getting 750ml-1 litre per day from you, so divide that by the number of feeds.....
    However, if you are freezing in advance, freeze in smallish lots (60-80 ml) - that way she can have 1 for a snack and 2 for a bigger feed.

Hey lovey!
    With the teets, I the best bet is to probably have a look and buy a couple to test out. My DS likes the Avent ones, (although he's had a bottle all of twice so It migt have been just good luck >< but others I know who are BF like the tommee tippee ones as they are more boob like.
    WRT how much... Someone else will hafta answer that one :P I left DS with mum for 3 hours and gave her 500mls of expressed milk because I figure it's better to have too much than not enough! It'll be interesting if anyone knows the "average" amount tho...

Hey Teagz,

I had a few issues when we did this with my baby just because she would get frustrated with a slower let down after her bottles. So if you end up with a fussy baby who is hitting your boobs and generally ****ed at you for awhile, don't give up (unless you don't want to bf) and just limit the amount of bottles she gets. We were only doing it occasionally for me to get a sleep in and so stopped for a few weeks and all was good.

Bella

When I started wanting to give DD bottles, I looked at the side of the formula tins in wollies as they give a rough guide as to what babies of certain ages drink (but I do mean a rough guide). I used it as a round about figure. If bubs finishes the bottle and still looks hungry, offer more, if doesn't finish and more then 20 -40ml left, offer less next time.

Default Thanks

Hi,
    Thanks heaps for your responses, some good ideas that I'll put into place. I haven't actually started yet.. I'm focussing more on sleep cycles at the moment and I think this will take priority for a little while longer...