Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage?

Default Storage?

Now that I am expressing off to get a bit of a stash happening I would like to know how you store your ebm? I've got some of the mealda bags but saw that a friend was hand expressing into a cup then into sandwich bags.

I also fill the bag throughout the day or over a couple of days then freeze at 150ml. Should I freeze in 50mls (mil suggested) if so what do you use I don't want to use one bag for 50ml!

I have looked at cubes for storing solids but it didn't say if it was bpa free so didn't buy them.

I use bags from the ABA shop...they're a fair bit cheaper then the Medela ones ($9.90 of 10 or something like that). For freezing in small lots I bought a whole bunch of those take and toss plastic containers from the baby section at the supermarket. They are BPA free. Otherwise you can just collect and refrigerate over a few pumpings and freeze altogether in one bag. Just depends on how much your little one drinks. I liked to freeze in 100ml and 50ml lots to save on wastage.

I swear I'm not stalking you, your posts keep popping up in 'new posts' LOL!!!

MIL is on the ball, lots of 50ml is a good amount to store (or even 30 ml). The cubes can be a really good way of doing this. Once the milk has frozen in them you can transfer the blocks/sticks into a zip lock bag. Personally I think that although really good, the EBM-specific storage bags are a really exxy way of doing it, and it encourages you to store larger amounts. Which can be really wasteful! Which can be heartbreaking after you've spent much time expressing the milk in the first place (as most mothers do). I LOVED using the specimen jars when DS2 was in SCN, but unfortunately that's not a cheap option (unless you're getting them for free from SCN ).

Have you had a look for ice cube trays that are BPA free? There are specific ones for BM available.........check out the Mother's Direct website (don't forget you get a 10% discount there LOL).

I used bags, just found them easier, and I like that they are sterile and have the measuremnts on the side so I can see accurately how much there is (my pump bottle didn't have measurements on it)

Qubies (I assume it was these you looked at?) are NOT BPA free.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    I swear I'm not stalking you, your posts keep popping up in 'new posts' LOL!!!

Just on at they same time hey!

I LOVED using the specimen jars when DS2 was in SCN, but unfortunately that's not a cheap option (unless you're getting them for free from SCN ).

Or sil

Have you had a look for ice cube trays that are BPA free? There are specific ones for BM available.........check out the Mother's Direct website (don't forget you get a 10% discount there LOL).

Yep had a look and thinking about it but just wanted some thoughts from fellow expressers!

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    I used bags, just found them easier, and I like that they are sterile and have the measuremnts on the side so I can see accurately how much there is

HTH
    Yep love them for all these reasons too

LOL, BONUS! If SIL can get you freebies, that's a great way of storing in 50 ml lots

I only stored a few times, but used the Baby Cubes when i did. I just checked their website and i think they are BPA free. The come in 35ml and 70ml sizing, easily stackable upon one another too.
    I found them online at a few places, i think you may be able to get them from their website?? I found mine in Big W though, for a really good price.

Hi
    i was a fan of the bags for ages but recently discovered some little pots i think they are Avent they have screw top lids and you can wash and reuse them. I have now stopped using the bags and use the pots instead as i can reuse them and dont have so much waste. Also i always have them i dont run out like i use to with the bags. I found them in the chemist one day when i was looking for something else. I think you can put up to about 120ml in them but you could put as little or as much as you wanted to.

Inlove I use them too, they are avent via cups. You can get a smaller size too. I prefer them to the bags as I can throw them into the nappy bag and not worry about tears.

For the fridge I used the small Avent bottles (125ml) with the lids on them - storing what DD required for a top up or full feed per bottle. To freeze I used the Happy Baby ice cube trays.

I use the Avent Via cups as well and really like them for freezing. Also if just storing in the fridge for later I tend to leave it in the bottle (125ml)

Ok thanks I will keep my eye out for the avent cups. Bugger I was at big W yesterday. Are they just like the bottles? Anyone know $$

They have a wider neck than the bottles but come with an adaptor for the pump to attach to. You also use the adaptor if you want to attach a teat to feed from as well.
    I can't remember how much they cost, but they weren't too expensive given they are reusable.

Thanks. I have the swing pump so o rhrt

So I don't think it will fit direct to my pump

No they don't fit the pump I have the same one. The medela bottles aren't recyclable so too exxy.

Quote Originally Posted by black_rose View Post
    No they don't fit the pump I have the same one. The medela bottles aren't recyclable so too exxy.
    What do you mean not recyclable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast