Thread: Storing ebm without a fridge

Default Storing ebm without a fridge

I am attending a course at the end if march and will be away from DS for the entire day (eek). DS is currently taking ebm quite happily from a bottle and I have nearly 2 liters of ebm in the freezer so I'm all prepared but I don't know if I will have access to a fridge to store my ebm in on the day as I will need to pump while I am there. Is there a way to store my ebm during the day if I don't get access to a fridge? Would a little esky be ok? Not sure what to do. Also DS will be nearly 6 months at the time and the course is from 9-4 so how many times do you think I will need to pump on the day. I didn't bf my first son so I have no idea how many times DS will be feeding at that age. I know it's different for each child but a ball park figure would be great. Tia!

I'm thinking that you would need to prepare to pump 2-3 times max during that time at 6 months provided you fed him before you left and as soon as you got home.

I would take a little esky with ice and freezy packs to put the milk in and it should be ok to put straight into the fridge/freezer as soon as you get home.

I would pump whenever you get uncomfortable (having a different schedual wont affect your supply for one day so i wouldnt stress about pumping when it would usually be feed time). I would also think that a little esky would be fine to store it in, and dont forget a big snap lock bag for your pump too, as you can put that in there and no need to wash before pumping again if you have to.

I worked for a full day when my LO was about 7 months old and still feeding every couple of hours (when she was with me). If we were out she could go for longer. I had EBM stored but she wasn't interested and my DH ended up bringing her to me twice during the day. I was away for 12 hours and was able to manage just with the 2 feeds. My boosies were ready to burst when i got home though.

still on the teaching contract roundabout

I was back working full time (teacher) at 6mths and expressing for DS. I was expressing about 3-4 times a day - at the start of the day (ie when I got to school), morning tea and lunch and sometimes after school finished. I didn't always get the first one in, it depended on how late DS fed before I left for school.

Storing - I used a little esky/cool bag with icebricks for the milk and fridge in ziplock bag for my pump bit but you'd be able to store that in the cool bag as well (I've since swapped to cool bag for the pump rather than the fridge)

Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like the esky is the way to go. It's only a one day course so I'm happy to hear that it shouldn't affect my supply too much if I dont stuck strictly to my feeding schedule. For those who used the esky/cool bag and ice bricks, how many ice bricks would you suggest I would need to last me the day?

still on the teaching contract roundabout

the more you put it the longer it stays cold - I used to use about 3 of the plastic bags ones (mouldable ones- Willow Freeza Paks, small size - not the solid bricks) - so one on the bottom of the cooler bag and one on each of the longer sides.