Thread: Taste of EBM (and high in lipase???)

Default Taste of EBM (and high in lipase???)

Yesterday, i was considering leaving DS with my Mum for a little bit and expressed some milk just in case. I ended up taking him with me. So, i offered the ebm to my 2 yr old breastfeeding daughter. (she drinks cows milk from a bottle or cup fine) When she tasted it, she just screwed up her nose, said 'no' and gave it back to me. i tried again later, and got the same reactiion. i was never able to get her to take ebm, and her reaction as a 9 month old was the same. At the time, i thought it was just cos she wanted breast instead but now i wonder if the milk is changing being exposed to air.

I then saw something on FB today, where someone said their milk was high in lipase and the taste changed soon after it was expressed. Scalding the milk apparently stopped this happening.

Has anybody heard of this before? My DD is not yet able to articulate why she doesn't like the ebm, although i am motivated to keep bfeeding her until she can

thanks

Yes - I've heard of that. Happened to a friend of mine. She could actually smell/taste a difference herself, have you tried to see if you can tell a difference?

I can try and find some research when I'm on the computer. Has DS had EBM yet?

Yep it tastes horrible doesn't it!
    There is a thread on scalding it somewhere as its been bought up in the past

Haven't tried DS with it yet. Had a tentative go last night, but he just laughed at me. DOn't think he knew what i was doing (i don't think i was very good with the bottle either)

I've never actually tasted breastmilk , it doesn't smell any different to me over time.

I had never heard of it before, so interesting to hear that it can be a real phenomenon.

ETA - i found a new icon
    Last edited by HotI; April 21st, 2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: wrong chair icon :rofl:

Quote Originally Posted by HotI View Post
    Haven't tried DS with it yet. Had a tentative go last night, but he just laughed at me...

Ahh bless your booby-loving kiddies HotI

That's really interesting. I've tasted my own EBM and it was actually really sweet to taste.

Interesting cos DD is the same, I have resorted to using my EBM on her cereal or in porridge and that way she'll have it but won't drink it.

Some woman's breastmilk can be high in lipase. Because lipase is the enzyme that breaks down fat, this means the milk can go bad much quicker. You might notice it starts to smell like off cow's milk does. Apparently it starts to taste soapy and metallic. Scalding the EBM after expressing inactivates the lipase. To scald it you can pop it on the stove until it starts to bubble at the edge, but not boiling, then take it off the heat, cool it quickly and then you can freeze it.

Funny you say that because my dd would never take expressed ebm. I have never heard of that before and it's interesting to hear. Might do some reading up on it.

Interesting. Mine smells gross! Especially after freezing. DD1 would never have a bottle but DD2 doesn't mind it.