thread: Using a SNS to feed DD

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Feb 2012
    Melbourne , Victoria

Using a SNS to feed DD

I'm interested to hear about other people's experience with using a Supplementary Nursing System (SNS).
    We started using the SNS feed line last week and its going well.
    DD gets her ebm or formula in in thin silicone tube attached to my nipple so she gets breastmilk and the suppliment as she breastfeeds.

If you've used a sns, how many did you have?
    What did you like/ dislike about it?

Jul 2008
    Home with my Son :)

I've used one.. I hated it lol.. Took ages to get the hang of it and often we both wore more milk than he got .. I only had one..
    It is a great concept. I know a woman who has IGT so feeds her baby solely with donor EBM and a SNS.. She uses a different brand called Lact aid (or lacta aid).. They are more user friendly she says.. I could only use it as a short term solution I didn't have the patience.. Glad to hear things are going well though!!

Add fionas on Facebook

Apr 2007
    Recently treechanged to Woodend, VIC

My BFing stories are always complicated

Tried to attach DD2 for three weeks, didn't work. Was expressing. Exhausted. Reluctantly gave up and went to formula.

Tried to attach her just for the hell of it at 9 weeks. Easy. But milk had dried up obviously. Relactated by expressing, attaching every hour and taking Motilium. Went from not getting a single drop of milk to getting a very small supply back. Then started using a supply line.

Loved it - used that until DD2 was five months old. What I loved? Most of all, that DD2 was feeding at my breast. That I knew that she was getting 'enough'. No need to express inbetween feeds though I think I did a bit of that too.

You were RAK'ed in 2015

Mar 2011
    Perth

I used it for 3 weeks or so. I found that the air return valve worked inconsistently, so the bottle sometimes developed a vacuum which made it harder and harder for DS to suck any milk out. I tried not having the lid on too tight, un'locking' the other tube, having to bottle at different heights compared to my nipple... This was the main reason we stopped - I had to constantly attend to the bottle, which made it hard to relax. And I know (front the weighing) that my milk supply did not change when we stopped using it.

I also found that the micropore tape started to take a few skin cells off every time I removed it, which led to raw skin. I also am struggling with eczematous rash on my breast around my areola, probably from the regular dampness of pumping, and if I used my eczema ointment on it, the tape wouldn't stick! All together too much fuss for too little benefit for us.

When we went back to the bottle, DP's attachment to my breast didn't deteriorate, as it had when we first introduced the calma bottle, so I was happy enough to stick with the bottle at that point.

Feb 2012
    Melbourne , Victoria

Using a SNS to feed DD

Pholi, do you have a LC supporting you? What brand of SNS did you use?

Feb 2012
    Melbourne , Victoria

Using a SNS to feed DD

Good on you Fionas for relactating. I've gone from pumping 8 times a day to maybe once!
    What I don't like about the sns is I have less of an idea how much DD is getting from me but it must be a good amount cause I go from feeling full to more empty but still with milk left in my breasts.

You were RAK'ed in 2015

Mar 2011
    Perth

We still have the support of an LC, and she said that she has had several clients use the sns and decide it's not for them. Apparently there's very little solid research into the touted supply building properties of it. We used the Medela one. In fact, we were lucky enough the the LC gave it to us for free, as Medela fund a lot of the research done by her university based human lactation research group. I've seen on forums that the US one - Lactaid - is 'better' for some people, at least, but I don't think I'll try it because I'd still have to use the tape, and my skin just doesn't handle it very well.

I think if you feel distinctly less full after a feed she must be getting a good amount from you. One thing my LC mentioned is that you can get everything in place but not unlock the tube on the side she's feeding on for the first little while, and when the rate of swallows drops down to one every 9 or 10 sucks, instead of every 2 or 3 sucks, then released the tube so she then gets the milk from the bottle. When she's half way through the bottle, change sides and do the same thing on the second side. That way you know she's getting as much as she can from the breast as well as the top-up.

Feb 2012
    Melbourne , Victoria

Using a SNS to feed DD

Just a quick update.
    We are loving the sns! It makes feeding times so much quicker and snugglier and DD isn't exhausted by the end of the feed so we get some play time.

Pholi- my pumpings gone out the window!!

Jul 2008
    Home with my Son :)

Frangipani Lou that is fabulous that it's working for you!

You were RAK'ed in 2015

Mar 2011
    Perth

FL, I'm really glad it's working so well for you. I loved the time saving element, and the snuggliness of feeding. Are you feeling better about how much she's getting from you?

And how nice to have stopped expressing! I'm kind of jealous, even though I could stop whenever I want to - but I still feel I need to be expressing as well as feeding. And right now I'm only expressing on the right to see if the break from feeding gives my right nipple a chance to heal - it's been scabbed and sore for 2 months now.

Feb 2012
    Melbourne , Victoria

Using a SNS to feed DD

Thanks Blessedatlast and Pholi.
    DD seems to be getting more breastmilk now cause she had 3 breastmilk poos yesterday and didn't finish her suppliment 2 or 3 times yesterday so I'm feeling a bit better about it.
    She still has awful wind, especially at night but putting her In The hug a bub seems to help.
    I'm going to the hospital today to buy a second sns. The first one I got at cost price($50) and this one I'm getting for $30! Bargain! May try to source another one too at a reasonable price. So that means I can use one overnight and still have a clean one for the breakfast feed.

Nov 2014

Re: Using a SNS to feed DD

Bumping this thread, as I'm now a SNS-er. Back when this thread was first active, I was still naive enough to think breastfeeding just happened

Anyone still using the SNS?

I came across this article that solves re problems of the return air valve and reactions to the tape. Mari's Supplemental Nursing System Instructions

I still use it the "traditional" way around my neck, tape it both sides, and after DS has a good rhythm going, I undo the opposite side to release the air pressure.

It took a few days of him not being able to drink more than 20mL at a time to realise the air valve wasn't functioning the way I thought it should, so to google I went!

Hope that helps ladies!

You were RAK'ed in 2015

Mar 2011
    Perth

That's a fabulous resource! I think part of my issue with it was positioning of the tube in bubs mouth. That gives me renewed hope that it's worth trying again next bub.

Nov 2014

Thats nice to know Pholi!

Are you expecting again? Congratulations!!

You were RAK'ed in 2015

Mar 2011
    Perth

Yes- very early days though! Thank you.

Nov 2014

How did bfeeding go with your first? Are you wondering what to expect with this baby? (I know I'm wondering about it already!)