Thread: what else can I do to increase milk supply?

Default what else can I do to increase milk supply?

I am currently taking Motilium to increase my supply.
    I'm on 50/100mg of thyroxine and taking 2 fenugreek caps a day.
    So far DD (11weeks old) up until today was BF exclusively for the last 2 weeks. Meaning not formula top ups.
    I know that my supply is there, and DD is feeding every 3 hours.
    DD doesn't sleep much during day, usually 20-50 mins with the odd 3hr sleeps once a week. She does however sleep during the night. Around 2-3 am is when I can get up and pump (using avent manual and First years electric pump) and I will then be able to get 150-200ml. BUT I don't have much by 6am when DD wakes. She seems content though.

What else can I do to increase my supply? I would like to start storing milk for when I go back to work.

I have ordered nursing naturally tea.
    I have tried lactation cookies, didn't work.

Ideas please??

Hi - sounds like you're doing really well feeding your little one! If you're getting the signs of good intake and she's doing well, then your supply is there, as you say!

So are you breastfeeding and expressing or just expressing? If you're wanting to get more milk out to set aside for when you return to work, you might want to consider getting a better pump and/or adding in additional pump times perhaps? Is it possible to add another expressing session in during the night at all?

Sounds like you're already working very hard at this and doing a great job.

Thanks MadB I'm am trying very hard to make BF work for us both.
    Trying to just BF and use bottle (expressed) for top ups or if we are out (not comfy yet to BF in public) mostly BF.
    I forgot to add when I do pump during the day on only getting 20-60ml. This is usually an hour after DD feeds.
    DD of late has had upset tummy due to gas, and a few feeds where refusal is happening. So I usually calm her then try again.

Will have to look at pumps I think

I'm trying not to stress but I'm getting concerned.

Wow sounds like you are doing amazingly well with BF! Why do you suspect you need all the extra bits and pieces to increase your supply if your supply is already there, as you say? You might not need lactation teas and all the rest if bubba is content? It's normal to only sleep in little bouts when they are tiny and to drink heaps. My DD was like that.

Ladylove I'm trying to increase supply to be able to feed bubs and pump to store for when I go back to work or at least be able to go out etc.
    might go back to work by Dec, bubs will be 7 months by then.

Ah I see. I think your best, easiest bet might be just to feed and pump, both should be enough to keep up supply on their own. It's easier said than done but worrying in advance that you wont have enough milk is unnecessary stress when there's already lots to fret about with a new baby.

There is a great link on the ABA website regarding how much you might need to pump depending on your hours away from baby... I remember it from when I was first feeding DD although I was pumping just for 'in case I need it' scenarios as I didn't go back to work until she was 13 and a bit months and only a couple of days a week.... By then her milk needs were vastly different of course and you may notice at 7 months a slight or big difference too, although lots of BF mamas say their babies still feed heaps at 7 months so it's different for everyone.

Trust your body, it sounds like you are providing plenty for your little one, just keep feeding when she wants it... If you are going back to work a good, workhorse electric pump is a must, I don't know the brand you mentioned. Finding the best time to pump can be a bit hit and miss, I found it easier in terms of extracting more milk to pump in between feeds rather than just before or after a feed and I only pumped from one side at a time so that if DD did suddenly want extra I could offer the un-pumped side. But again that's just my experience and it's different for everyone!

20-60ml after a feed is pretty good!
    The average bf baby needs around 800ml in 24 hours, though the amount individual babies take does vary.
    You've got quite a bit of time to bank some milk, so even if you only get 100ml or so a day, you'll still be ahead of the game once you're back at work and then you can continue to express during the day (and you'll get more if you're missing feeds). Plus you can still breastfeed when you're with your baby. Babies will often take more when mums there and just enough to get by from the bottle.
    As she passes 6 months, then she can also start taking some solids and water to get by during the day, so you may find it gets easier and easier as she gets older.

Sounds like you're managing this really well and good on you planning ahead for your return to work

The ABA has resources specifically for mothers planning to return to work - there's a booklet you can purchase through Mothers' Direct, as well as the Breastfeeding Friendly Workplaces program, which overs support and resources to employers to help them help their employees (you!) on their return to work.