Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What have I done wrong here?

Default What have I done wrong here?

I have started pumping and freezing or refrigerating some milk in an attempt to get DS (11wks) used to taking a bottle sometimes as I plan on returning to part time work in a few months. The first time we tried him with 1day old milk that had been stored in the fridge, warmed slightly under room temp/lukewarm water, and after a short battle, he drank it.
    Now we tried him on about 2week old frozen milk, defrosted and warmed slightly under room temp/lukewarm water and after a battle he started to suck and spit it out. Then I noticed it was kind of 'bitty' like tiny dots getting stuck all around the bottle. I didn't notice it with the refrigerated milk, only the frozen. I decided not to keep trying in case I had spoiled it somehow? Did I do something wrong with the frozen milk?

TIA

It's just the fat separation from the milk.

My kids would never drink EBM either especially if it had been frozen. They'd only drink if expressed fresh that day.

Doesn't help you though I'm sorry.

EBM will always look bitty as you described because it separates, it doesn't mean it has gone bad, you just need to shake well. Did you try the milk yourself? Like cow milk, you can tell immediately if it has turned. But The milk should be ok after two weeks- BM should last around three months in the freezer (longer in a deep freeze) just make sure you don't store in the door of the freezer or too close to the front as it won't keep as long (not cold enough).

Some babies don't like thawed EBM as the taste does change slightly. It could also be a one off thing, I'd try again.

Defrosted EMB does taste a bit different, a little bitter. DD will drink it, but she is a bit fussy and if its not warm enough wont have a bar of it. Maybe warm it more?

I did wonder if the taste changed! Maybe he's a fussy little bugger now he's used to nipple fresh milk

I have a couple more frozen satchels so I'll try warming them a little more.

Thanks

Please don't shake it!!! Shaking breaks the enzymes in the milk. Just turn it upside down then right way up, nice and slow and gentle.

It can take kids some time to get used to bottles. Hang in there!

Some women have higher levels of lipases in their milk, that can lead to milk smelling or tasting sour. Some babies won't like it, but others don't mind. Scalding the milk before freezing can reduce the effect of the lipase.

I thought this was happening with my milk, cos my DD would never drink my ebm. However, my DS was ok with it. So, not sure if it was or just personal preference and DD only liked milk from the source.

There is a little info here, but more if you google.
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfi...ces-breastmilk

yep, try warming it a little more. swishing it around gently helps the fat even out

Lipase. My kids won't drink frozen milk either. And I never get around to scalding it before I freeze it. But I'm not back at work so I don't have to worry terribly much. If you're pumping great quantities it's probably worth a try.

I didn't know that op! Pretty sure I shook the life out of trying to fix my 'bit' problem

Thanks for the link, I'll have a read.

How's it going, hun?

Not great. I tried warming it more last night and he still wasn't taking it. He plays with the teet in his mouth for a while and then gets more and more upset until I give him the boob! I think I'll start trying different bottles? I'm using the Medela Calma bottle so maybe I'll try an easier one.

On the upside, I was much more gentle with the milk and didn't have the bottle covered in bits

i returned to work part time at 9 months pp, and my dd wouldn't take ebm. I fed her before i left and she would hang out until i got home. For awhile, my mum or DH, would bring her to me at lunch for a feed, but she was getting too distracted, and also upset when she left. On non-work days, she still fed 2 hourly during the day. She would drink water and some finger foods at this age.

How long are your shifts? is it far from home? who will be caring for your little one? how old will they be? (don't need the answers, but have a think about them.) You may be able to come up with an alternative to bottle feeding if he is still not keep when you are ready to go back to work. I have also heard of other babies who hold out for mum, and others who start taking ebm around the time when mum returns to work, despite trying for months beforehand

I also know babies who wouldn't take a bottle from mum because they know your boobs are right there

Oh yes do try another teat. My DD became much more inclined to take EBM when we swapped from calma to a pigeon peristaltic teat. It may have been a coincidence but maybe not.

Have you tried giving him fresh EBM again?

Have you tried getting someone else to feed him the bottle? If you feed him, he knows that the boob is right there at his nose and many babies have a preference for breast to bottle. Get someone else to give him the bottle whilst you are out of the room and your breasts are not around to tempt him!

Success!! Little H took some refrigerated ebm from dp using a slow flow Medela bottle. DP had to be standing up and moving around though? Odd. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll get him used to taking it from dp sometimes and then try my mum since she's the one I'd leave him with.

HotI I'm only going to be doing a few days right near home.. Maybe I can talk to dp about going back at 8/9 months rather than 6 when he's eating is a bit more established... Thanks it's something to think about.

Success!! Little H took some refrigerated ebm from dp using a slow flow Medela bottle. DP had to be standing up and moving around though? Odd. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll get him used to taking it from dp sometimes and then try my mum since she's the one I'd leave him with.

HotI I'm only going to be doing a few days right near home.. Maybe I can talk to dp about going back at 8/9 months rather than 6 when he's eating is a bit more established... Thanks it's something to think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast