Thread: Going from 1 to 2...

Default Going from 1 to 2...

We are looking at TTC #2 soon, but just want to know, was it hard going from one to two children? Did it change your life/lifestyle much from having one child? There will be an approx 4-4.5yr age gap between them, so it's not like well have two babies in the house..
    Just trying to get the feelers out.. DH is worried it will completely put out the lifestyle we have made and we won't have any time for anything again.. I know he's being a touch melodramatic but it's a valid concern of his nonetheless
    Thoughts?

Default Re: Going from 1 to 2...

It wasn't a huge adjustment for us. That first baby rocked our entire life so welcoming a second didn't alter too much. We have a 3.5 year gap. There was and still is, a lot of guilt on my behalf that I don't get to spend that 1 on 1 with DD much anymore. We did notice having such a 'big' gap that you forget how much a baby needs eg nappy bag, constant holding etc etc. Household is much much noisier and busier but for us, it was far easier adding number 2 than it was bringing DD home! I loved the age gap with our babes, DD was able to understand so much more and was so incredibly excited!

I have 4.5 years between my 2. It didn't upset things much at all. Everything just seemed to fall into place. Even as a single mum its been no problem. Im also much more relaxed this time and remember a lot so its not such a huge learning curve.

My babies are really cruisy bubs though.

depends on the child. my first two were high needs so their additions rocked the foundations. #3 is much cruisier, and so her arrival would have been fairly smooth, whatever her position was.

Glad to know that ladies, thanks! In my head I was thinking the same, our dd was the one who effectively "changed our lives" and restricted just being able to duck out and go out whenever, so adding another isn't really much different iykwim? But I wasn't sure if it was just me being optimistic lol.
    I also hate the idea of dd growing up alone, I was kind of an only child in that my siblings were so much older, whenever we went on holidays, it was just mum dad and I, and I always wanted a sibling to play with, I also hate the thought that whenever DH and I die, she won't have any siblings to help her and not really any family to be with anymore, you know? I want her to have at least one brother or sister to be with through life!

A touch melodramatic!
    I think, all things going well, you adjust much more easily to 2nd and subsequent children. You feel more confident, the difficult things come more easily. And they costs less!

We've just gone from 1 to 2... And I was also very nervous about it. There is a 3.5 year age gap, which helps - DS1 is pretty independent.
    Adding a 2nd has been much easier than I thought it would be. I have been much more confident and easy going with DS2, and it's been a fantastic experience.

Going out has an added element - pram, nappy bag, bottles etc, but it's not going to be like this forever, it's only short term and I can't wait till both boys are running around playing together.