Thread: Heirlooms

Default Heirlooms

Do you have any heirlooms from your own family? Anything sentimental that has been handed down/across to you by a family member? Are you planning to keep any items to pass to your children at some point? Is it important, or not?

I have a few, but they're more sentimental than valuable. For eg, I have each of my maternal grandparents' baby spoons - both battered and very much used. Also, I have cow-shaped jug that was my Nanna's.

Default Re: Heirlooms

A few things. Some baby clothes sewn or knitted for me by my mum or grandma.

In our family are more, but they're not currently in my possession. My grandfather's war medals and a few things like his supply book, etc. My grandma has a fair few things that will pass down to us after she passes.

I also have some of my Mum's old books from when she was a girl that I've given to DD1.

I have my Nana's engagement ring. It's very special to me because it was handed down after she passed, and to see the look on my Papa's face when I got engaged and he saw me wearing it was gorgeous.

My Mum has my Nana's eternity ring and is thinking of giving it to my brother and hood fianc?e.

heaps and heaps. this is a huge thing in my family. range from a 1913 piano, which was mine, but now i've had a daughter is technically hers. I have my grandfathers art easel, covered in paint and much used and loved by him, and now me, I plan on passing it down. i have my nans eternity ring. and one of my grandfathers rings. My nan also gave me a locket which has a photo of her dad in it, was her first ever piece of jewelllery she ever owned. so many things my mum and dad have, and my brothers, just waiting to be passed on.
    I also have my nans car =P its getting on, and obviously isn't going to last generations...but it is still my daily driver, and I am going to be compeltely gutted and heart broken when she finally decides not to start

My DH wears his grandfathers wedding band, I have my maternal nanas eternity ring, I was given a ring that belonged to my great aunt that I had made into my eternity ring, one of my favourite things though is a simple ceramic weather owl that my nana had <3

From my family, I have my Nanna's eternity ring, her watch and a painting my grandfather did before he died. From DH's family, we have DH's nanna's silver cutlery set, some antique furniture and a 1960's stereo that his father bought when he first started working. I also have some baby blankets that were used from when my mum was a baby and a huge teddy I got when I was born.

DD sleeps in a cradle that was built for my dad in 1948. He and his three sisters all slept in it as well as me and my siblings and nearly all my cousins on that side of the family and my sisters kids. All the names are written on the bottom. It's kinda cool.

I also have my grandparents piano which was second hand when they bought it and a bunch of other bits and pieces like crocheted baby clothes made for me, things my grandfather built for me, crockery and silverware of my grandmothers.

I'm not so much into sentimental keepsakes, but there is stuff earmarked for each child on my families side. I have no idea with DH's family.
    I do have a teacup set that was my great grandmothers. It's part of a crazy teaset that mum will pass down to me. She gave me 'my' set for my 25th birthday. I have loved it and always requested it when we used the teaset my whole childhood.
    I also had my mums Santa sack. It was her mums. I used it (as the first daughter) until I passed it onto my own daughter....sadly DH didn't notice it when he scooped up the rubbish on her first Christmas

I have a pocket book of the New Testament that was given to my Grandfather when he was in a boys orphanage in the UK, I just love the look and feel of it. It also inscribed I assume by one of the Brothers that ran the orphanage to him. He ran away from the orphanage when he was old enough to fend for himself. There is a calligraphy name of Edward Bonsall and dated May 26th 1905 on one of first pages.

I am now the owner of my Mum's wedding, engagement and eternity ring. She is in a nursing home with Alzheimers and she kept giving them away to anyone and everyone. I had to suggest to her to let me take them for a clean. When I gave them to my brother, he said I could keep them. I am going to have them put together by a jeweler and give them to my daughter when she old enough.

My Mum told me that the rings were purchased in Thomas Jewelers in the Bourke Street Mall. My Dad was a dry cleaner and saved his pennies.

When my mum passed, I was given her eternity ring, two ruby rings and a silver watch given to her on her 21st and her aquamarine birthstone ring as we're both Piscean I will pass the eternity ring and watch onto Dd1 and the ruby rings and birthstone ring to DD2.

Too many. I sound like a spoilt brat but I have a houses worth of antique furniture which is an expensive pita to maintain.
    To the point that I keep a Georgian dining table in storage in our warehouse and eat from a modern table that I can spill milk on and burn without feeling guilty. I keep most of my jewelry in the bank because insuring it costs too much.
    It kills removalists. Modern furniture weighs a lot less than old furniture. I have a late medieval oak chest that reduced one removalist to screaming lol.
    Sometimes I think I should just throw it all out instead of burdening my children with it. Sometimes I think of selling the lot but the auction houses charge such a high commission - I just can't support daylight robbery like that.

I have a crystal cabinet that has a story attached to it that involves my Dad, seeing he passed away 26 years ago it has sentimental value. I'm not sure what to do with it but can't part with it at this stage. I also have his watch that I keep away with all my special bits and pieces. I also have a painting that my Dad gave to my Mum and although it isn't my taste, I still have it stored away.

We have a lot of handmade Blackwood furniture that DH's grandfather made, some of the pieces are gorgeous and we will never part with them. Totally understand about the table Phteven, was so sick of DH worrying about our dining table that I made him store it in the shed and bought a cheap but lovely one from ikea

I have my grandma's engagement ring and I adore it. I always wear it on special occasions like I am taking grandma with me. It comes with a lovely romantic story attached of how my grandad won money playing poker to afford it.
    I also have a Peter Rabbit book that was my dad's as a baby and it's quite old and special!

I have my Nanna's ruby ring that I wear every day, love it. DH had it reset for me and asked how I'd like it done, I said the same way. Love it as it is.

Like myturn, our kids all slept in the cradle that DH's grandpa made for his mum when she had her first.

My mum will pass some more jewellery down when she's ready and I'm about to inherit some things from my Gran.

Nothing really

My sister will get my great grandmas ring. I was meant to get our parents eternity and engagement (divorced and stolen).

I have a book case my dad made my grandma. Neither of which i had/have a particularly good relationship with.

So many lovely and interesting answers in this thread!

And... I just found out this week that I'm shortly to receive an amber necklace that belonged to my great-grandmother. I love amber but I think I'll love it even more because it's the first proper thing I'll have from that side of the family.

I have so many things. I have my Mums engagement ring and the rest of her jewellery. I also have a heap of stuff from my grandparents (Dads side), which is all stored out in the granny flat, I really need to go through it all. We have some crazy dinner set, a really expensive one from DH's Nan, but we have never had it out of the box. I have my Dad's high chair, which he used when he was a baby and my 3 have all used it too. I wont part with it. There are a heap of other things, some things I just cant bear to part with, I guess one day I will have to.

DH hates that I have the flowers from my parents and my Nans funerals dried and framed, he still doesn't like it! I think they look amazing!

My mum passed her wedding ring to me, and we will pass it to DD.
    loads of sentimental things and books to pass/receive as well