Thread: Fitted + cover = too hard for grandparents etc?

Question Fitted + cover = too hard for grandparents etc?

Hi everyone,

DS has grown out of his large stash of medium bambooty AIOs. So I've been researching for weeks about what to get for him next.

I'm leaning towards maybe moving over to a fitted + cover system as I think it will be more economical (particularly over the long run as we would love to have more children).

BUT, I'm worried that it will be too hard for relatives etc who often help out or mind him for me (we are blessed with some fantastic helpers!). WDYT? Too hard?

Hey Ruth

I don't think its too hard, considering thats what they would have used when we were younger. My mum is more confused with AI2's and pockets than a good old fitted and cover. She used flats and covers with us kids, so the more old school the better

eWWW. Double post.

A friend of mine (who is due with her #2 same days as me!) gave up using MCNs altogether because the grandparents couldn't work out the fitteds + covers she was using. What got them? The colours. They said they couldn't find any in his bag, when there were actually lots there, just not the colours they were expecting. And yes, I'm pretty sure they would have used cloth in their day.

I know the first clothy family I worked with in childcare had a variety of options, and my fave was always fitteds and covers. The fit was just the best, and my other staff seemed to cope quite well with them too.

So, ummm, probably the most unhelpful answer ever?

I guess maybe canvas what your family thinks about how they'd go...

i love fitteds + covers. I don't think its too tricky. You can always prepare them in the nappy bag (fitted inside cover) so the carer knows what goes with what.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate07 View Post
    i love fitteds + covers. I don't think its too tricky. You can always prepare them in the nappy bag (fitted inside cover) so the carer knows what goes with what.
    Thats what I do for mum She prefers that to trying to fight with flats & covers! lol. You must lose the nack
    She does usually get the gist of it now. She's even been known to chuck a flat inside a pocket out of desperation. She's getting handy at these new fandangled nappies

Nup, not if it's explained and they want to help they'll be fine.
    FWIW the one and only time my MIL changed one of my kids, I showed the the way the AIO worked and which was the front - and she put it on back to front ......

Thanks guys! I like the idea of putting them together in the nappy bag - that would help I think.

FWIW the one and only time my MIL changed one of my kids, I showed the the way the AIO worked and which was the front - and she put it on back to front
    This made me remember when I was unexpectedly in hospital when DS was 6 weeks old and MIL came to help DH overnight. They were putting on a terry flat and MIL says "where are the nappy pins?" DH says "she definately doesn't use nappy pins", MIL "No, there must be nappy pins for the nappy" (This goes on for a while). And they ended up putting the cover on over the flat loose. (The secret: I used snappis but DH couldn't remember this!)

I've got more questions about flats and covers, but I'll start a new thread I think.

THnaks everyone!

I don't think its too hard, considering thats what they would have used when we were younger
    Yeah, you'd think that would help!

We used flannel flats and covers for our boys and my mum couldn't work it out. And I was a cloth nappy and safety pin baby to boot. It's like grandparents forget how to put on a clothie LOL!

I think it is fine. As others have said most of them would have used cloth plus a pilcher (sp?) so they would get that.

My parents and grandmother were absolutely clueless when I showed them our fitted + cover system!! I had to demonstrate a few times before they got it. But I think once they've been shown there shouldn't be any problems.

My mum and MIL are both gurus with fitted + covers now. They can even handle the night nappy, which involves boosters, silk liners and all sort of excitement

Give them a go!

Hi there,

I know this is a couple of weeks ago now, but I just wanted to let you know that after a few goes, my little boy's grannies soon got the gist of the fitteds and covers.

My bub gets minded in our home so I found it helpful to put the fitteds together and load up ready to go in a nappy stacker. I have one of those little hanging drip-driers (you know, the ones on a hanger with a bunch of pegs / clips hanging off), which i hang the covers on, so they just grab the nappy and cover and away they go. And the bonus is now they know, they wash them, dry and put them together and away for me (awesome mum and mil!!).

I have used aio, ai2, pockets and fitteds + cover. The fitteds are by far my favourite! I haven't had to change the bed once due to a leak (he's 13.5 months now!).