Thread: Food ideas for 5/6 month old?

Default Food ideas for 5/6 month old?

I'm looking for some ideas on what to feed a 5/6 month old. DS has tried a variety of vegetables and loves them but what else can they have at this age? Or is there stuff I can cook for us for dinner that he can also eat? (that I can blend if required) There are so many conflicting things on the internet about what age babies can eat what it's confusing.

still on the teaching contract roundabout

Default Re: Food ideas for 5/6 month old?

It's pretty much anything can go these days except honey until after 1yr and whole nuts until 4/5yrs. Unless there's a known allergy in the family.
    I preferred to leave leafy things like lettuce until my boys were at least 1 as it can get stuck to the roof of their mouth. Both my boys had family foods from the start, stuff they could pick up and feed themself with. Not hard raw veg though (soft-ish bigger than fist sized where possible). Both have not made huge messes for me to clean up and have been able use cutlery confidently before 18mths. Look up baby led solids/weaning for more info on this if interested. BB does have a thread on this (currently on phone so hard to link for you)

Exciting times ahead!!! We have done baby led weaning/ solids here with both our kids. Great fun but very messy Like leckert said pretty much anything goes. If you are comfortable go ahead! At that age DS was offered mainly fruit and vegies cut into manageable chunks- potato, sweet potato, carrot, pumpkin, broccoli florets, stone fruit, melon, pear, strawberries were a massive hit, plus meat, things like cruskits, toast fingers etc. You get my drift- pretty much anything

still on the teaching contract roundabout

here's the forum thread ... http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...er-7-a-188341/
    had a chance to get to the computer once DS2 was asleep (and I could remember my password - using a different computer to the usual one)

Thanks heaps I'll have a read of the thread

If you are meat eaters, give bub a bit of meat to suck and chew on. Good for iron and protein. Somethibg chip size so they can have some in the fist and some out to suck on.

You want to go for nutrient-dense stuff with iron. Meat is great. They don't need much volume at all at this age, only a complementary source of iron, really, if still breastfeeding.

Is any kind of meat (without bones) ok? I'm cooking lamb shanks for dinner tonight so could I give him some meat from that to try?

Give him it on the bone, much easier to handle that way. They just chomp and suck and get the goodness out that way.