Thread: Low sugar, low salt breakfast cereals for toddlers?

Default Low sugar, low salt breakfast cereals for toddlers?

Is there anything out there that fits the bill besides Weet Bix? DS has gone off them, probably because he's had them pretty much every day for the past 12 months! What other cereal do others feed their toddlers? Has anyone tried Oat Brits? They seem to be just like Vita Brits but made with oats instead.

Alternatively, other breakfast suggestions would be appreciated (not toast, eggs, porridge, bircher muesli). TIA

I know you said not porridge but DD1 favorite breakfast has always been half a diced apple in her porridge before it's cooked in the microwave. It tastes quite nice

They also love yoghurt and fruit for breakfast

Hey Jleigh

Not sure what else is out there, A has gone off weetbix too probably for same reason lol. Have you tried Semolina?

We have oats most days and always have, but I think there is a low salt option of Weet Bix out?? If she likes it I would keep giving it to her! Mine have had porridge with a Raffertys squeeze in it early on and now a mashed banana and some honey about 6 days a week - then NutriGrain for a treat sometimes.

I will often do a scrambled egg (done in the microwave so no added oil/butter/spray) on a piece of wholemeal toast. DD loves it!!!!

I've started quick oats. Quarter cup of oats and half a cup of water. (You can do 1/4 water 1/4 milk, but DD doesn't have dairy yet).
    They generally take 1 minute in the microwave.

How about special k? It is higher in both salt and sugar then weetbix but I don't know how 'low' you wanted it? Can post the nutritional stuff later if you like (we are about to head to swimming lessons)

All Bran.
    Museli.
    Just Right.
    Saltana Bran.
    Puffed wheat.
    Shredded wheat. (their are also mini-wheats which are a different brand - but have a look at the nutritional labels; so are really good, low GI, low in fat, salt and sugar; but the ones with 'fruit' inside, not so much...)

Hey there DS has avo and banana mashed up together with some LSA or flaxseed oil and sometimes I add puffed amaranth to or another grain. I still prepare portions of other cooked grains like quinoa, millet, tapioca with coconut cream, cinnamon & nutmeg, barley, amaranth, oats, corn or veg pasta, really well cooked brown rice and then putting in the freezer. There's so many more grains out there too, I basically give ds anything other than wheat. You can then thaw them out and add fresh fruit to them like kiwi, mango, etc or mix them into yoghurt. I thought I'd be well past the premade portion thing but ds still likes this sort of thing for breakfast and it's way healthier than anything that you can buy. I know you don't like porridge but it can be ultra yummy to make a mix of half oats, half semolina with some cut up dried fruit and nuts as your ds loves them. Soak over night and heat up in the morning, the semolina makes it taste like that yummy hari christner dessert halva and you can even add custard to it (drool) We often give ds a smoothie too, with all the good stuff in it, oat milk, whey powder, honey, fruit, fresh home grown sprouts (now that we have a sprout maker), LSA num,num,num
    Last edited by Cherished; January 10th, 2012 at 10:29 AM.

smoothies are a favourite here. DS mostly has banana ones but it's a great way to get rid of very ripe fruit. and you can put whatever you want in it - milk or yoghurt, different fruits, some oats etc.

on sundays i'll often make pancakes - but healthy ones with wholemeal flour, mashed banana & honey.

With pancakes you can use so any different things to replace white flour - almond meal, atta flour, besan, finely pulverized rolled oats. Mmmmmm.....pancakes *insert guttural gurgling sound*

I like the plain puffed wheat, as is also quite easy to take out dry as a snack and sometimes we have that with weet bix just for variety. Warning if you let them have it dry at home (as we did when were out of milk) kept finding puffs everywhere even though she was sat at table.

Thanks for all your replies!
    I might give the Oat Brits a try. Semolina and 1/2 oats, 1/2 semolina might be worth a go too (thanks Cherished and Phoenix!). And I wondered about puffed wheat too, wysiwyg! DS LOVES the little bran 'worms' too, but I wondered if a whole bowl might interfere with his poo, iykwim!!!
    We also do eggs, smoothies (with flaxseed, oat bran, fruit, yoghurt, probiotic, LSA etc) and pancakes etc but I was also after some other cereal ideas (for the days I don't have time to do an elaborate breakky or when he's clingy and won't let me!). He always has fruit and milk too but has gone off yoghurt atm. DS won't drink enough smoothie to make it a stand alone breakfast.

My DD used to be not so good at breakfast which, as a mum who worked outside the home, made it very hard for me. One thing I found that worked and was reasonably nutritiously sound (although probably higher in sugar than ideal) was Up and Go drinks.

Rice bubbles are an alternative to weetbix... But these days DS tends to like to choose from the breakfast cereals that we eat (no reasons toddlers can't eat them too!). He love the red Be Natural one at the moment, but will also go for corn flakes, muesli and anything else that's in the cupboard.

If you go into your health food isle you can get rice bubbles and corn flake varieties without wheat and with lower sugar, low salt, and the freedom foods range are still reasonably high fibre. Costs a bit more than your regular brands though as they are made specifically to be allergen friendly.

After a good look around, I came home with puffed corn, bran 'worms' and puffed rice. So far, he's tried the puffed corn and bran together and LOVES them! He's eaten every single bite for four days running (hasn't woken up yet so I can't tell you about today) and chooses his own cereal every day. He also LOVES spooning up the little bit of leftover milk at the bottom, partly because it spills and drips everywhere, lol!! He's even eaten the puffed corn as a dry snack (tastes like popcorn).
    Mummy is now happy that her little boy is eating something more than a sip of milk and one grape for breakfast...