Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lunchbox snacks

Default Lunchbox snacks

DD1 starts school next year and she's a fussy eater. To the point that if she doesn't like it, she won't eat. I want to try different homemade snacks this year so I have some guaranteed winners for her lunchbox next year and then I have one less thing to worry about!

What do your kids love and can you share the recipe here? Looking forward to giving everything a shot.

Default Re: Lunchbox snacks

Been thinking the same. DS is the same as your DD. He'll eat crap but I'd like him to eat healthier.

Subscribing for ideas!

My DD will be in year 1 when she goes back to school and I learnt very quickly that, unfortunately, kids will only want what the other kids have..
    I once packed a little ham, cucumber and cream Cheese wrap for my DD which she devours at home but did not touch at school, when I asked her why she said all of her friends had Vegemite sandwiches and she didn't want to be 'weird'... Which made me sad..
    The saving grace is "crunch and sip" which the school runs which is like afternoon tea and they all have to bring in a piece of fruit/cut up veg and a bottle of water and they eat it at afternoon tea..

I usually make sure she has a healthy breakfast and my usual lunch box is filled with:
    Sandwich (usually Vegemite because "that's what everyone else has")
    Le snack - which is cheese and crackers
    Muesli bar - like the uncle tobys yoghurt top ones
    A piece of fruit/carrot sticks
    And a juice box
    She also takes a drink bottle with water

I have resigned myself to this because I would rather her eat a bit of junk at school then not eat at all because the other kids will think her food is weird if she pulls it out..

On another note- make sure they can open the snacks/food you pack them.. I sent DD off to school on the first day and she came home and told me that the teacher had to open her juice box and peel her mandarin and I could have kicked myself because I realized that I had always done it for her!!

I have a recipe for a homemade LCM type bar, but i want to test out how they go in a lunchbox, cos they tend to go bit crumbly out of the fridge for too long (coconut oil is the binder).

ANZAC slice is a winner for everyone here, and it can be frozen and easily defrosts in a short while. Can post recipe if you interested.

Makes me sad that "all the others have vegemite sandwiches" is still the norm. Dd devours salads - it's her go to meal - am hoping she will still want it at kinder/school!

We are planning in sending fruit (probably a banana it apple until she learns to peel mandarins) yogurt (we buy big tubs so will send an easy open container for her, sultanas, and will have to make up muffins or slices that are healthy. From what I can gather, her kinder is very much against fruit boxes - they prefer the kids to drink water or milk. I can't work that out. I'm sure a fruit box will keep better than milk!!

It took me by surprise too briggsy! I thought in this day and age surely there would be a variety of different food in kids lunch boxes, but it seems that it's all the same food!
    Muffins and Yoghurts are a really good idea!
    If you make the food look cool and fun them they are more likely to pull it out of their lunchbox! I have an apple peeler that peels the skin off the apple in a really big spiral- it looks like a big slinky and DD loves it and always eats it!
    The good thing about schools now is that they are encouraging better eating - we aren't allowed to pack lollies or bags of chips - but I understand juice boxes are still allowed.. I don't think I would pack milk it just doesn't keep very well!

The only milk I can think that would keep well us uht milk - big m's in poppet packs, or uht in the 1L cartons on the shelves, but I think even that wouldn't keep fantastically if out of the fridge once the big pack has been opened....

I reckon I could count on a single hand how many times dd has asked for a vegemite sandwich in the past 18 months! Will be interesting to see how we go. She has already told me if will be a fight fur the last wraps for lunches - hope she keeps that resolve!!

Default Lunchbox snacks

If I'm honest, I'd be quite happy for DD1 to give me that line! She doesn't eat what the other kids eat at kinder! Vegemite sandwich? Not a hope here!

HotI - would love that recipe, whenever you've got time.

I just talked to dh about this thread. He replied "pffft, she won't be limited to bananas and apples, we can quarter her oranges, we can send grapes or strawberries or sultanas..."

He has also suggested crackers and cheese. Dd would live to take similar snacks to me (almonds or peanuts) but the kinder is but free (and thankfully dd knows about allergies because one of her little friends has a nut allergy).

I'm finding it difficult to get my head around the notion of a set packed lunch when dd is such a grazer. It's bit unusual for her to barely touch breakfast but to ask for baked beans mid morning or a snack. Or a plain bread roll. I am really undecided on what to pack for her. I don't want her to feel like she has to eat everything we pack but I suspect she may just decide to anyway sometimes. It is going to take some adjusting for all of us I think.

I think there is a thread somewhere with healthy snacks/recipes but am on my phone so can't easily look. I am going to be doing some cooking on weekends for the next couple of weeks/months to experiment. May have to clear a space in the freezer for snack stuff.

Re fruit, if your children like berries, buy the frozen ones and put them in a well sealed container and the will be great for morning snack or lunch.

I have a white food kid. At the start of the year, that was all he ate, but with the other kids eating different stuff, he has begun to try a heap of different things.

Our kinder didn't actually allow home baked stuff, and certainly no biscuit/slices/cakes. Muffins were allowed but only little ones.

I sent in
    squeezy yoghurt (I have the reusable pouches, but I find them totally gross to clean out)
    cut up cucumber/carrot/celery
    rice cakes
    rice cracker/jatz and cheese/hummus
    fruit cut up (can secure with a rubber band in it's original form to prevent it going brown)
    sandwiches cut into small shapes (as a snack)

boring I know. i hate sending the same thing over and over. They however seem to prefer it.

I'm trying to think of things that DD will want for 4yr old Kinder lunch this year as she will be there at lunch time.

At 3yr old Kinder for her morning tea I packed the same thing everyday (it was only 2 mornings a week) -

Which is

Fairy Pikelets - like fairy bread
    Rice Crackers
    Tiny Teddies
    Fruit (Grapes, Strawberries, Apple)

These are things she will also eat EVERYDAY at home - she just wants to same food all the time. I can sometimes change it up and she will have salad with ham and crackers, but don't want to do that everyday for her or she will start to refuse to eat it.

Biggest problem I have is that DD hates butter/margarine on her fairy pancakes so I use Nutella but due to allergies at her new kinder I don't know what else to use as she doesn't like any other spread of any kind.

BG - our kinder does not allow fruit boxes either. Water water water. I realise that lot of us would only ever give juice as an occasional treat, but not everyone is as aware of the sheer quantity of sugar that goes into drinks targeted at children. So it's best for everyone to just make it a rule.

Kim - you are awesome. I never thought of sticking a rubber band around the apple to put it back together! You just blew my mind! If only I'd known earlier.

Yes, definitely water here. Dd has her drink bottle for kinder and has been using it already! We occasionally have juice boxes if mum brings them over for some reason. Can't say I've bought any myself though

I like the idea of rubber band around fruit.

My DD is going into grade 2 so third year of school and has never once said that she wants what other kids have!!
    She gets next to no junk, only junk would be the occasional tiny teddy pack.
    I've learnt food needs to be easy/quick to eat, they need o eat quickly to avoid being left last after friends have finished and gone to play, sounds odd but it happens!!

We mostly have fruit, cheese or yoghurt and homemade energy balls or oat type slices. Hardly ever tiny teddies more inclined to put in rice cakes. It will be harder with dd2 as she only eats bananas, watermelon or dried fruit but hoping she will be hungry enough to eat what she is given.

My kids have never ever ever asked for food that other kids have. I have had other parents ask me for recipes though

Quote Originally Posted by Rouge View Post
    My kids have never ever ever asked for food that other kids have. I have had other parents ask me for recipes though
    Yep. I have had kinder say I should come in and do cooking lessons, along with some parents saying their DD's now ask for certain food since seeing it in DD1's lunchbox.

DD1 will sometimes comment on what someone else has in their lunch box, like share packs of lollies every day, but has not directly asked for any herself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast