Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lunchbox snacks

Default Re: Lunchbox snacks

We put in whatever fruit is in season. Most keep ok in a small sealed container in the bigger lunchbox till lunchtime eg mandarin already peeled, cut up orange etc. Dd1 loves getting kiwi or passion fruit cut in half with her own spoon for scooping. We do sandwiches, (usually Vegemite- she's less adventurous for school than home lunches) and cheese cut off the block into 'cheese sticks' or yogurt in a tightly sealed container or pouch. Would love to do more home made stuff though, even plain plain pop corn maybe but muesli slices etc too. Hoping to read some ideas : )

Fruit, Cheese, crackers, kabana, gerkins, sandwiches, apricot balls, yoghurt, mini banana bread muffins, popcorn, salad, carrot sticks.

We live in a warmer climate, so yoghurt needs to be frozen and then kept in with an ice pack to keep safe... I make jelly for my older ones and just pack an ice pack with them. Frozen grapes & sliced watermelon is fantastic. We send salad cups (those smash/nude food containers are great) with lettuce, baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, cucumber , carrot, olives, etc. ham & salad sandwiches & wraps go well. In winter we send mini thermos containers with heated up leftovers from dinners (lasagnes, pasta bake , chicken noodle soup etc).

We also have a very healthy & well priced canteen so I have no worries ordering my kids a rainbow wrap (grated carrot, beet root, diced tomato & shredded lettuce) for $3!
    No juice boxes at our school for Kindy kids, just water. Juice boxes are full of sugar, I can understand the milk as it's got calcium & protein and can actually satisfy a hungry tummy at recess time. I feel sorry for any teacher who has a class full of children on a juice box sugar high lol.

DD1 is so fussy we really struggled last year.
    She would have a Sandwich, 2 cupcake sized muffins or a apple crumble slice etc.., cheese & crackers, a piece of fruit, a yogurt & a small treat(Tiny teddies, snackaroo etc..)

Hoping this year she will want to try new things, we bought a special lunch-bag that is suppose to keep food colder for longer so maybe i can send more things as well....

DS starts prep in 2 weeks, We've just started filling DSs lunchbox for the day so he knows what to eat and when etc. In prep they have a brain food snack around 10am (Fruit only), Recess about 1115 and lunch at 1pm so its a bit different to home as we generally have morning tea by 10am, then lunch at 12 so have been getting him to practice having recess and lunch as he forgot to eat on two of his transition days late last year.

I've packed strawberries for brain food, but plan on sending a combo of pear, watermelon, apple and orange etc - we have one of those curly apple peelers too so will definitely pull that out. Kabana, Cheese and crackers (jatz or salada) and carrot and cucumber sticks are a hit. Vegemite Sandwiches are always requested by DS - however he'll only eat multigrain bread (as thats all we buy) so I have no problem with the repetitiveness of those. A fruit bar or biscuit do feature and yoghurt has been popular too. Things like cruskits, cheerios, muffins etc will get rotation too. He loves cold plain rice so a container of that with a little spoon will likely be another winner.
    We bought a zip up cooler bag type lunchbox and the other bits and pieces are in little containers within this as this seems to work for DS.
    So far the novelty of having a school lunch ready to go has been good - DS seems to understand to make sure he eats everything, hopefully when he starts school in a few weeks he'll remember to eat!!
    A big drink bottle full of water will be his drink, I'm too stingy to pay for a fruitbox to send every day when he'll happily drink water

Our school won't allow fruit boxes.
    Also our preps put their food in their basket(each table has a colour)
    Their water bottles go on their table in a small little basket.
    They are made to eat their food at the table before going out to play.
    So i never had to worry about her forgetting to eat.

Our little ones eat in their classroom as well.
    We do crunch & sip. Fruit goes in a basket in the morning to share. Mon, Wed & Fri they do extra fruit with the whole school after lunch, so 2 pieces of fruit those days.
    And they have their own water bottles up to year 2, provided by the school that they have on hand through the day. A fridge in those rooms too which is awesome

My kids don't get juice boxes/poppers. For tuckshop on Thursdays they get an LOL. Thats it for the week. At home its water or milk.

DS eats almost every fruit possible, so its easy to mix it up for him. Nectarines, peaches, kiwi fruit, grapes. I sometimes put an extra piece of fruit in just for him. The girls are boring. Apples.

He takes sao's, some bikkies or a cupcake or something usually. Muffins are easy & healthy too. Mini quiches are also easy to eat cold. Cold chicken drumsticks.

It's funny how so many of us think our kids are fussy....I'd die of happiness if DS1 ate ANY fruit (fresh, dried or canned), yoghurt or a sandwich of any sort!! He's a mostly white foods kid, and likes things separate (so no salad, sandwiches, sauces or visible bits). I also don't buy packet foods, so that limits stuff. I make homemade biscuits, muffins, scones and pike lets regularly (Wholemeal flour and no or low refined sugar) and freeze them. Will need to modify some things as many include nuts, which are banned.

His kindy lunchbox will probably include stuff like:

Savoury vege muffins (I have a great base recipe if you want it)
    Savoury pike lets
    Multigrain bread and butter. NOT stuck together as that's a sandwich and DS1 doesn't eat those, lol!
    (Hidden) Fruit muffins (his faves are honey banana and apple cinnamon - can post the recipe if you want it)
    Orange (ie pumpkin) scones
    Homemade bikkies - choc chip, ANZAC's (Emily Rose recipes has a 'healthier' choc chip biscuit recipe we like and adapt)
    Water

Then stuff like cheese, plain flat bread or wraps, homemade popcorn, 'yoghurt balls' (ie yoghurt covered sultanas, but as DS doesn't like sultanas, he can't know this ), corn cakes, puffed corn or rice, olives. I'll include the occasional mushroom, spinach leaf, date or carrot stick as one day he might surprise me and eat it!

They also need to bring fruit or veg to share...DS loved choosing it for 3yo kindy last year but never ate a thing. For the whole year.

Default Lunchbox snacks

JLeigh can I have the fruit muffin recipe? DS won't touch any fruit/vegetable either. He's a cheese and vegemite sandwich kid. That and pasta which he won't eat cold so can't even pack him a little tub for school.

The only yoghurt he'll eat is chocolate yogo.

Won't eat muesli bars or anything resembling one.

Already dreading packing his lunch.

At DS school, each class have an esky for their water bottles which is great!

oh forgot puffed corn, thanks JLeigh.
    DS loves those, he calls them motorbike helmets

Rouge and Astrid - I think y'all need to share some of these things that have made you such stars in the lunchbox arena

I made a whole food caramel slice that my family loves and sent some to kinder, nothing was said to me but DD said "I don't think I should take that again mummy, Lynda wasn't too happy". It was dates, nuts, coconut oil, maple syrup and cacao. But it looked like normal caramel slice, which of course is full of bad things. Sigh. Kinder was a lot stricter though about what to send.

I really need to start thinking about lunch boxes... School starts in two weeks...!

Honey banana muffins

1 3/4 cups Wholemeal SR flour
    2 tablespoons wheat germ or oat bran (optional)
    1teaspoon cinnamon
    1/3 cup olive oil or rice bran oil
    1/2 cup honey
    2 eggs
    1 cup mashed ripe bananas
    1/4 cup hot water

Directions:
    1. Stir together dry ingredients.
    2. Beat oil and honey together; add eggs and beat well.
    3. Add bananas and beat to combine.
    4. Add wet ingredients to dry, alternating with hot water; mix well after each addition.
    5. Spoon batter into 12 greased muffin cups; bake at 170 degrees for 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Don't over cook or they'll be dry.
    6. Remove from oven and cool on rack. Freeze in ziplock bags.

I often add a little more banana.
    Replace the banana with puréed apple (or mashed pie apples as they have no added extras) for apple cinnamon muffins.

ANZAC BARS

1 cup flour
    1 cup coconut
    1 cup rolled oats

125g butter
    1/3 cup golden syrup
    1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp bi-carb soda

Preheat oven to 170 deg. Line 18 x 28cm slice tin with baking paper.

Combine flour, oats and coconut in a large bowl, then make a well in the centre.

Combine butter, syrup and sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Add the bi-carb soda and stir to combine.

Pour onto dry ingredients and mix until evenly combined. Spread into prepared tin and smooth surface with the back of a spoon.

Bake for 20 mins. Cool in tin. Lift out using the paper and cut into 20 bars. Keep in an air tight container.

* these are favs at our place. I often cut into squares instead of bars. Great to freeze and put in lunchbox for kinder or school.

Hoti - yum!

Just a question about what is included in the 'nut free' banner....is it only nuts, or are seeds included with that? Are linseeds, Sesame seeds and pepitas ok? I generally put sesame and/or linseeds in my bikkies and muffins.

JLeigh it may depend on the class. You can actually call the school and ask if seeds are included in their nut free policy, if not, once school starts you can ask the teacher if there are any allergies in the class.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12