Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Homemade yoghurt in reusable pouches?

Default Taking Homemade yoghurt in reusable pouches?

I have a yoghurt maker and I make my own, sometimes from the sachets and sometimes from a live pot.

DS1 is going to kinder for 5 hours a day and i'd like him to take yoghurt sometimes - his lunch time is not long after they arrive at kinder so I'm not too worried about food safety.

What's the best way to take it? I was going to put it in an easy-yo container and give him a spoon, but I saw reusable pouches. Are they good? They look very hard to clean. My yoghurt can be quite thick sometimes, would it still go through the spout?

I'd just stick with a container and spoon. with the heat though it probably wouldn't hurt to pop a little ice brick in with it though to keep it nice and cool.

Default Re: Taking Homemade yoghurt in reusable pouches?

I love my pouches (cherubs baby I think they are called) they open with snap lock at the top for easy cleaning and are bpa free.
    I use them for custard which is quite thick and kids love it

i have just ordered some pouches from biome so i'll let you know how they go!

Thanks ginger that's where I saw them. I'll be interested to hear.
    Thanks Trillian - I didn't word it well, I'll be using the little ice pack.
    Bellany - good to know that even custard fits. Drinking custard sounds a bit gross to me, but I'm not a young child, so what would I know!

We brought some Squeeze-em's reusable pouches through their website a few weeks ago (and they have a Facebook page). LOVE them! We have had yoghurt,jelly, soup, custard etc in them and the kids love them. They are great for taking out and about, and are pretty easy to clean. I just use hot soap water and a bottle brush. I have only had to rescue 1 out of the bin . I also brought a couple of extra lids just in case we lose some. The girls absolutely love yoghurt and mostly eat it out of a little bowl, but sometimes its not practical because they are such messy little eaters, so these have been fantastic!

Our kindy has a fridge. Do you know where their lunch boxes will be stored?

I just bought some of those today too, for exactly the same thing. My kids love 'squeezie yoghurt' and DD loves pureed fruit too, so I'm hoping they aren't too hard to clean. I figured I might try and find a bottle drying rack to air them out after washing.

Their lunch boxes are in their locker which is inside away from light, but not particulary hot or cold. Kinder starts at 11.15 (not great for my 5.45am riser!) and lunch is at 12.30 so his food will be fine. I know with 100% certainty that if i give him yoghurt it will go first!

Kim - you could freeze a pouch of pureed fruit, but i think yoghurt would separate?

I want to get chrub baby ones as the squeeze'ems specifically say 5 uses only. Im not sure why, therefore id rather use the ones that dont stipulate a use-frame!

Default Re: Taking Homemade yoghurt in reusable pouches?

Lenny I freeze yoghurt and they are fine

Definitely important! 5 Uses only! That's a bit wasteful. I guess the plastic is not stable and starts to leech yucky stuff. I was looking on Biome. I'll make sure i check if i do decide to do it.
    Spoon and container for now.

Oh buggar...they're the ones I bought. didn't say anything on the website I got them from. Might see if I can cancel the order.

ETA so I looked on the Biome site and they only have the squeeze ems...or am I missing something?

ETA 2...I just looked up their facebook site and they say they have been using some since August. Can someone point me to the 5 uses info please?

Oh, I didn't know the squeeze'ems can only be used 5 times. Mine have been used wayyyy more than that already. The lady who runs the FB page said hers have been used for the past 4 months. Might have to look into it.

Default Taking Homemade yoghurt in reusable pouches?

5 times? Is that true???

OH MY, I am SO sorry - I apologise, I mixed them up with "Pouch'ed".
    Theirs say that they can only be used five times. I'm sorry!!

oooohhh...phew! Thanks Chick.

Lenny : after some advice : why do you make your own yoghurt ?
    I buy a natural brand that is not advertised for kids, after some serious research .

Does it take long to make ?

Hi Bengal. I make my own yoghurt too from a sachet from the supermarket. I buy the easy-yo brand and use their yoghurt maker too. To make it up it only takes a few minutes and you let it sit overnight (minimum 8hours) to cultivate. I like it 'cause its fresher than the premade yoghurt and is half the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast