Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any recco for formula brands for new mum?

FellowTraveller Guest

Default Any recco for formula brands for new mum?

Hi All...
    Just wondering what formula brand people recco? I have a 20 day old DD and am really hating breast feeding - appart from feeling enormously guilty I'm also ambivalent about the side effects of formula. When we were in hospital, they topped her up with Karicare Gold - but i have heard mixed stories since they changed the ingredients. I'd appreciate any adivice.
    Thanks.

Mummy Mummy Guest

Hi Bosco, unfortunately I could not breastfeed due to 3 severe hospitalisations for mastititis - we tried for 6 weeks but my daughter & I just couldnt get it right!

Anyway I did a lot of research and tried many different formulas and I have to say the best by far was KARICARE HA. It has an orange lid and is described as 'lowering the potential to sensitize the immune system' - so less side effects. (Just make sure you DONT get the Karicare HA-AR Thickened unless baby has reflux).

Breast feeding is definately not easy - so dont feel guilty! Best wishes, Sarah

Me and almost everyone I know use Karicare gold. None of us have had any issues at all even when they changed the ingredients. Also don't feel guilty about not breastfeeding I tried with DS but he was giving me blood blister so I stopped, I didn't breastfeed DD at all.

Ellie

I would recommend Karicare also.

Hi, i had to comp feed DD from 4 weeks old, and I was advised by a lactation consultant to use NAN-1 formula (which is now NAN-1 Gold, they changed/added the 'Gold' near the end when i stopped comp feeding DD, but she had no problems with either). Also some of the mums in my mothers group use S26...

use S26 here and have had no problems whatso ever but really depends on the baby some like S26 others get constipated some like the gold versions other can't stomach it I really feel it is trial and error

I agree it is really trial and error. DD had Nan in hospital and it was fine but I couldn't find i when I was discharged so bought S26 which made her constipated. Finally got some Nan and it was all good. Then she developed Secondary Lactose Intolerance (not caused by the formula) and I had to put her on delact which is Karicare and tasted very different so had problems there! Now she is back on normal formula but we have stayed with Karicare to avoid the taste difference again... Karicare is working fine with us.

When I was initially chosing formula my MCHN told me they are all much of a muchness. Some have extra bits added which the company likes to think makes them better than others but there is no real evidence either way. All formula's have to meet strict standards in Aust so any "Extras" are a bonus.

HTH and don't feel bad for not BFing. I lasted less than 6 weeks and DD is a happy, healthy girl which is all that matters.

MG

We are using KARICARE GOAT.....It is fantastic and goat milk is proven to be the closet thing to breast milk. Anyone else use Goat?
    I stopped BF so I have a chance to fall preggers.
    But never feel guilty because a happy mummy is a good mummy and that equals a happy baby!
    Last edited by mumzy; June 16th, 2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Left out not to feel quilty.

Wasn't there something in the paper that said that Karicare products are going to be unavailable due to a government dispute(they didn't get a product approved before putting it in their product I think). This may be something worth considering if you are trying to decide what formula to decide on-How long will Karicare be unavailable!

Jesse has been forumla fed since he was 9 days old. For the first 6 months he was on Heinz Nuture Gold 1 and loved it.. no problems.. though towards the end would only drink half a bottle. When we put him up to the Heinz Nuture Gold 2 he started getting really constipated.. like REALLY.. his poos were dark green and crumbly like. So i tried S26 Gold #2. He was then back to normal and was drinking the whole thing. Recently we've just put him on the normal S26 as its damn expensive! and we feel he is getting all the nutrients he needs in solids.

I think its really trial and error.. alot of babies take to one certain formula, where others dont. Id personally just try a well known brand first and see if it agrees with bubs, and if bubs likes it. If not, then try a different one. But once you found one that works, stick with it, as changing formula too much can upset their tummies.

Best of luck!

I have been comping DD since she was 4 days old and am now exclusively FF'ing. We started on S26 gold but that seemed to make her constipated, so I switched to Karicare Gold but I was unhappy as both of these formulas contain Soy Lecithin (the emulsifier) which has been shown to be toxic and allergenic in high levels. Seeing as milk is the only food they consume for many months, I set out on a mission to find one without any Soy.
    I switched to Karicare HA for a few weeks but DD seemed constipated again, so now I have gone to NAN 1 Gold HA. And it is the best by far. No soy and no constipation !
    At the end of the day, there are so many to choose from, you should try to do a bit of your own research and you'll find the right one for you.
    I have also heard great things about Bellamy's Organic formula...

My Twins were on S26Gold from birth. I had them 34wks 5days and I had no problem with the formula.

DS has been drinking Heinz Nurture since 5 weeks and he has never been constipated or had any other probs, and its cheap

Coming from someone who used Bellamy's Organic for 6 weeks, I'd highly reccommend it. It is a bit more expensive due to the fact it's organic, but it even smells more appetizing than other brands.

I've had to change to Karicare HA/AR formula as my then 6 week old was demanding 200mL plus EVERY feed of normal, unthickened formula, as he wasn't getting full enough.

As everyone has said, it's all a bit of trial and error.

I was talking to a friend just yesterday who works in a chemist and she is using Heinz Nuture too. She said it is exactly the same as far as the ingredents goes as the S26 and heaps cheaper. Her bub is now 6 months old and going great guns and has been FF since birth. I will be FF this bub too so I think I will start with the Heniz Nuture first and if we have any probs try the Karicare which Mackenzie had. She had the HA-AR Karicare as she was a little bit (and only a little) bit spewy on the normal karicare.

Karicare for sure. We were using S-26 Gold... but Chelsea got sick and constipated from it.

I'm using Heinz Nurture with my DS, he is loving it... we tried many different brands, but all were rejected bar the Heinz. The best bit is that it is so cheap and still contains everything a growing baby needs.

nikbrad - I noticed the ingredients were the same in the Heinz as the S26 - but it can't taste the same tho as my son refused the S26!

Hi,

You have already got some good information. I hope it helps. Breastfeeding does get better - and quite quickly. It's worth getting good help and support early on. If it's your first baby it's hard to see how it will get better, but it really does.

In terms of formula, any normal cows milk formula is fine. It is often worth sticking to one for a little while - you be the judge - but prob best not to change too frequently. The following information is from the National Health and Medical Research Council

The prices of different infant formulas and the types of retail outlets that sell the
    formulas are not related to quality or nutritional value. All infant formulas sold in
    Australia meet the relevant nutritional and quality-control standards. Use of a
    particular formula by a hospital does not mean that formula is the ‘best’ one.
    Interchange between formulas within the same generic group is optional and can
    be decided on the basis of cost.
    Standard formulas labelled ‘suitable from birth’ are for infants from birth to 12
    months. ‘Follow-on’ formulas labelled ‘suitable only for babies over 6 months’
    are for infants aged from 6 to 12 months, but their use is not considered
    necessary for most and there have been no studies showing advantages over the
    infant formula they are already having. The American Academy of Pediatrics
    recommends that infants be fed breast milk for the first 6 to 12 months and states
    that the only acceptable alternative to breast milk is iron-fortified infant
    formula.9,10 By 12 months of age infants should be eating a wide variety of family
    foods, and cow’s milk should be introduced at this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast