Thread: Anyone using Novalac Constipation Formula that can give advice?

Default Anyone using Novalac Constipation Formula that can give advice?

Hi
    I was just wondering whether anyone has been using the Novalac Constipation formula that can give me some advice until we see our doctor on Tuesday? I know that it says on the tin it needs to be used under medical supervision.
    DS has had really bad constipation since about 4 weeks. He has always been a very windy boy and gets really bad stomach cramps (indicated by pulling his legs up, high pitched screams, followed by turning bright red, then a few mins later, a huge pump). This goes on pretty much constantly, and causes him to awaken when sleeping. The wind hasn't been so much the problem, it's the constipation. He wasn't "going" for up to 3 days, and when he did, it was hard, solid pebble - all dehydrated. Given extra water, tried with sugar and tried prune juice - the juice helped a bit, but was only going every second day and was still in pain, so not really good enough.
    Anyway, cut a long story short, bought the Novalac Constipation formula on Saturday and instantly everything has started "flowing". We were a bit worried as we had also given prune juice and extra water on Friday, and he almost seemed like he had diarrhea yesterday, so thought we better give Karicare formula for most feeds and give Novalac maybe once a day to see what it did. Thing is, as soon as we gave him Karicare, the cramps/wind combo kicked off again and he wouldn't sleep. So, last night, decided (so we could try and get some sleep through the night) to just give him Novalac through the night to see how he goes. All good - not much wind at all and has a pretty good sleep in the scheme of things.
    So, my question is, should we just stick with the Novalac? Is it safe to do so? Just worried about the whole "medical supervision" thing. I wouldn't think they would be able to sell it on the shelves if there was anything that could harm DS, but just want to make sure. It breaks my heart to see him in pain, and just want to do something that will help him. Also, I'm aware that we have made mistakes by chopping and changing, but just want someone to indicate that it's okay to do what we are doing! Also thrown into the mix is that I'm expressing also, so he has 1-2 feeds a day that are solely breast milk.
    TIA!

hey hun i used novolac constipation with DD for a few months, the thing is it isnt prescription formula or anything its just chemist formula so you really dont need the medical supervision if youve already tried it and it works well....it worked abit for DD but still was stuggling so now she is on parachoc (which is also chemist but not prescription)... def no harm in using novolac if it works HTH

Thanks tattoo_mama - that's what I thought! It seems to be working for us, so we'll stick with it! Thanks again