Thread: Best way to wean my Son

Question Best way to wean my Son

Hi Ladies,

I am quite upset about this but for various reasons I am weaning my Son from Breast Milk onto Formula.

I fed him on the breast for 6 weeks but stopped because after seeking help for bad attachment it wasn't improving and I was getting tired and upset. I then started expressing for a few weeks and I have developed a fungal infection in my nipples and have also got a mild form of mastitis

Sooooo I have decided its time to wean him onto Formula and I don't know how I should go about making the changes without making him sick?

I was thinking of replacing one feed for a couple of days, then replacing two feeds for a couple of days and then three feeds for a couple of days until he is on Formula full time etc etc...

This would also mean that I can express some off my breasts to keep them comfortable while trying to reduce my milk supply.

What are your thoughts?

I really appreciate any advice

Blondie

You could try mixing EBM with a bit of formula to begin with, gradually increasing the amount of formula.
    Keep expressing for now, and slowly decrease the amount/frequency of pumping to avoid painful lumps and/or mastitis. It's generally recommended that you cut one feed per week, but you could probably do it a bit faster than that, only make sure you don't get lumpy.

Thanks MadB

I have done as you suggested and have mixed half BM and half Formula and Aidan seemed to like it! I am on antibiotics for mild form of mastitis so I am hoping it means I wont get a bad case of it when weaning. I have been expressing every 4-5 hours as I normally would and have just been taking 60mls off each breast and that seems to keep the painfulness of being 'full' at bay - still leaking a bit though...thanks for the advice