Thread: Bottle feeding worry?

Default Bottle feeding worry?

Hi there,

I have a 7 week old baby and she is on s26 gold and has been drinking 120 mls for a few weeks every 2 hours and been very happy, she now only drinking between 30-60 mls a time(she stills crys for her feed every 2 hours) then falls asleep and i cannot get her to take anymore bottle even when she is still awake after 60 mls she doesnt want anymore.. Is this normal? The tin says at 8 weeks she should be drinking 180m mls... she is settled on s26 she goes to the toilet fine so i reallly dont want to change formula and risk getting colic or ne thing. So i just want to know if its normal and if not what do i do about it?

Thanks..

with regards to what the tin says thats a guide only...my 6week old DD is still only having 100mls when the tin says she should be having 150mls.
    there is a formula feeding chat thread where someone posted about how to work out if they are having enough formula in a day.
    sorry i havent been very helpful

Both my bubs varied what they drank so often that I just gave up even looking at how much they drank after a while. It sounds like she's recently had a bit of a growth spurt over the six week mark and after growth spurts, what they drink drastically decreases for a bit. Like the PP, the tin is only a guide but it definitely doesn't indicate what babies should be drinking. 180ml per feed is huge for an 8 week old. She might work her way up to that but don't stress that she's not finishing them. I definitely wouldn't change the formula that she's on if she's happy with it. It could only cause problems. How many feeds is she having a day? Maybe she wants to drop a feed......but then again she's still so little so I'd suggest just going by her cues. She obviously doesn't want anymore and she is obviously letting you know when she's hungry. As long as she's weeing a fair bit and is active and doesn't seem too lethargic, and she's putting on weight she's fine. There is a calculation that you can use to determine if they are drinking enough in a 24 hour period but honestly, I never used it because all it did was stress me out. You can't force them to eat if they don't want to. I accepted that eventually and just went with my DD's cues. It's hard to step back and just let them dictate how much they want when in the early weeks, it's all about amount of food, and weight gain. In the end, the amount of weight she is putting on will indicate to you whether she's getting enough. If you are worried, maybe just pop down to get her weighed. You'll probably find she's had a big gain recently and it will slow up a little after this 6 week growth spurt. I hope what I've said makes sense. I probably rambled a bit x

Every baby is different. I was told by the MCHN that how much they are drinking in a 24 hour period is more important than at 1 single feed. Seems like you little one prefers 2 hourly feed for lessamount than 4 hour feed but more.

my DD is over 9 months and only drinks 5 x 100-150ml bottles in a 24 hr period so i think 180ml a feed is crazy, i think the formula companies put that on the tin so that youll make up big bottles and have to waste it and buy more IYKWIM??
    the CHN nurses say if your baby is happy, settled and plenty of wet nappies then there is no worry at all.

FYI at 6 weeks DD was drinking about 90ml every 3-4 hours.