Thread: Bottle refusal - is this a sign he needs to start solids?

Default Bottle refusal - is this a sign he needs to start solids?

My son is currently on neocate (prescription formula) though we are soon having to try soy or an alternative due to the changes on the PBS for elemental formulas.

He has been sick with bronchiolitis (4th time this winter!) so hasn't been feeding so feel for about a week. I understand babies find it hard work when they are sick but even when he has had bronchiolitis before he has always fed better than now.

He usually drinks 180mls for the middle of the day bottles and 210mls morning and night. However, even though he is over the worst of sickness he is refusing to drink - not screaming or crying (like my daughter did with breast refusal) but turning his mouth away and clamping his mouth shut and spitting out milk when I try and try to force him to drink. its taking me an hour to get sometimes 80mls in at a feed, usually he smashes them down in a few minutes flat! He is 5.5 months so was going to start him on solids in 2 weeks but was wondering if bottle refusal is a sign he needs solids? but then I worry about his fluid intake and what if he drinks even less? He doesn't appear dehydrated at the moment, is very alert and happy, sleeping ok (though disturbed by coughing) and is having wet nappies - though prob not as wet as normal.

I wouldn't have thought so. Whether he has breast or formula, he still needs lots more before being on solids only.

How long has it been going on for? Does he maybe have something else (!!!) brewing that is putting him off sucking/swallowing? Maybe try syringing some formula into him so he doesn't get dehydrated (or a cup if you think he can manage it)

Sorry - can't suggest anything else. If it continues maybe take him to the GP to check it out.

I wonder about ear infections or tonsillitis. Coughing can make a throat so sore that it hurts to suck. From a hydration point of view, would he take cold water?

It can take a long time to recover from bronchialitis even after the worst symptoms are past. In the beginning they have to prioritise breathing over feeding and really don't feed well. Even after she is able to breathe more easily, loss of appetite is common for a while. Usually babies do better with smaller amounts more frequently.
    He is almost at an age to take solids - but I wouldn't take this as a sign that he wanted them. He seems like he is quite allergic. I wouldn't rush to introduce solids. Do you know what he reacts to? Clues with your daughter or other family members may give you a hint