Thread: Can you bottle-feed a baby to sleep?

Default Can you bottle-feed a baby to sleep?

Forgive me, I have no experience with FF, so this may sound incredibly dumb. I need to go back to work and, while I haven't gotten a job yet, it's inevitable that DD is going to need to drink bottles as if she's anything like her sister she won't be into solids for a good couple of months yet.
    Thing is, Phoebe is fed to sleep. I love it, it's so quick and easy. She hardly ever cries before going to bed. I'd love to keep it that way if at all possible.
    I will be expressing, but even in the middle of the night I don't get much. My main concern is that having a bottle to settle her will over-feed her? (Given how easily the milk comes out of the bottle.)
    She won't take a dummy at this stage.
    Any advice? Does anyone bottle-feed their baby to sleep, or bottle feed simply for comfort?

j just gets fed whenever hes hungry he doesnt feed to sleep but when he was small he did which meant not sleeping till 10 or later now he eats at 7 and is in bed by 8:30 but he has a dummy maybe a blanket or something for her as a comfort and u could even rock to sleep if necessary

we don't exactly feed to sleep (used to when she was a newborn) but she does sometimes fall asleep during her bottle, often she'll close her eyes and drink but open them once I put her on my shoulder to burp her (if I wasnt so unco and could move her without disturbing her too much she probably wouldn't wake up!). If she is really tired though she will fall dead asleep during the bottle, she may only drink half or 3/4 of it and fall asleep...once her mouth falls open and she's not sucking on the teat so the bottle comes out easily then i know she is asleep! So yep it is possible, although it may take a little while for her to get used to it if she is used to being b/f.

all my babies bottle feed to sleep. Mateauz has just finished about 6 months ago.
    mind you he was also BF and when it stopped at 7 1/2 months we was still looking for the comfort of feeding to sleep. I totally get what you say...its soothing and nice fo rhtem not to cry whilst settling...I found that very disturbing.

Yep! Bella would fall asleep drinking her bottles all the time and when she was bigger she would always fall asleep on her night bottle and then it was bed for her, sadly that is no longer working as she doesnt want her bottle and she would rather crawl and cruise the couch... was great while it latsed!!
    Now we use the dummy and a bit of rocking and she falls asleep!

HTH
    Kate

Thanks for the responses! Glad it is something we can at least try

Bit late here, but DS bottle fed to sleep when I needed to wean him to return to work... Just might take a bit of trial and error on teat sizes. I started with a newborn teat but it was way to slow for DS, so we had a try a few before we got the balance right. Good luck.

My one yr old has Fed to sleep since she was 7months and able to control her own bottle. We place her in bed with a bottle and She feeds to sleep. She generally finishes her bottle before she nodds off.. So i remove it so there are not nasty leftovers and she drinks them in the middle of the night.

She Eats her dinner, At 5- 5.30 and then has a bottle at 7 so i dont think im over feeding her. And if she didnt want it she wouldnt take it!