Thread: Conflicting advice - giving water to FF babies?

Question Conflicting advice - giving water to FF babies?

Hi

I keep getting conflicting advice. Do FF babies need extra water to prevent constipation or not?

Not all FF babies get constipated. If they do, it is recommended to up their water intake.

xx

In a word, no. If the baby is getting constipated you should try another formula. "Gold" formulas are known for causing more constipation problems than non-gold formulations and S-26 also has a reputation for causing constipation. Obviously this depends on the baby...S-26 is a very popular brand so many babies plainly cope fine. My own DD has NAN Pro Gold with no issues.

If constipation problems persist talk to your MCHN or go to the doctor.

I have given my ff boy water with brown sugar (was told by midwife to do this) on 2 or 3 occasions, when he has been constipated. But I dont do it as a regular thing, just when he needs it. Gold made my kid constipated, apparently it is higher in iron and thats what the prob is for some bubs.

I have been giving Bella water since she was bron both my MCHN & Paed advised to do this. I guess you just do what you think is best.
    Bella is on S-26 Gold and no constipation but was on Nan Pro when born and was very const and windy. I just offer cooled boiled water b/w bottles and she will drink it if she likes.

Kate

Smile

Hi! I think offering extra water to prevent constipation is a good idea. Once babies become constipated its a hard thing to set right again, this is from my personal experience, and watching a baby cry from the pain it causes it just heartbreaking. I started DS on a gold brand and this is what caused the constipation for him, although every bub is different and the gold brands may not always cause constipation.

Offering cool boiled water is important on hot days to help keep them hydrated. A BF baby will display signs they need the breast and then alter their sucking so they get the watery stuff instead of the tummy filling stuff. With FF babies, they just get the formula which fills them up when they might not be hungry (sorry if I'm not making sense right now). So, on warmer days, I always offered DD cooled boiled water. Mind you, it wasn't until she started Child Care that she actually drank said water and that was only because all the other kids were drinking it

our paed also suggested giving cooled boiled water NOT just for constipation but to tide bub over during feeds.

RazRock Guest

Our paed told us to make up some chamomile tea and give about 5mls every feed and this has helped so much with digesting formula and constipation...
    No more bunny rabbit poos in this house and not as much straining too. It was awful watching a painful poo
    I do like the extra water bub is getting when he has the tea as I am sure he is thirsty in the heat!

I gave dd and ds cooled boiled water. And for constipation, some rooibos tea with brown sugar.

I think giving extra water in summer is a must. During winter, not so much, but do what you feel is right.