Thread: cooled water in hot weather?

Default cooled water in hot weather?

Today has been quite warm and the next few days are going to be hot - around 35/36.
    DD is a little hot and sweaty, although she not long ago woke up from a 4 hour sleep!

Just wondering should I be offering her some cooled boiled water between feeds? I know breastmilk changes according to weather conditions, but formula is the same all the time, so now that it is getting warmer will she need a little extra water to prevent her from getting too thirsty/dehydrated?

If it's something I should be doing, how often should I offer it and how much should I be giving her?

Do you demand feed? If so, just follow your DDs lead. She will let you know if she gets thirsty.

Personally, I would probably offer her a little water every now and then just to be on the safe side but the formula should be enough to give her a drink & feed.

I would also just let her lie around either naked or with a nappy to help keep cool and wipe her with a damp, cool (not cold) facewasher every now and then for a bit of relief.

It gets very hot and dry here. I usually offer my little one about 15mls or so in between feeds or when i notice her mouth is looking a little dry to keep her fluids up but she really loves her water and she is a sweaty little thing. Sometimes mid bottle on a warmer day she will stop drinking so i give her 5ish mls of water and she'll finish the formula off after that.

We would keep a bottle of water around for Sam pretty much all the time - if he woke unexpectedly, we'd offer him water and he'd often take a few sucks of the bottle and go straight back to sleep. He was very much a feed-play-sleep baby, and we'd usually offer him water before he went down for a sleep, too.

Now that we're entering into his second summer, we have no issues getting him to drink water - I often believe it's because he had it from an early age.

BW

I started Bella on cooled boiled water form 1 week old - she was born in summer and it was a hot one! Now she has her sippy cup on the floor with her and she drink form it when ever she wants and she LOVES water! I tried her with some watered down juice for a treat one day and she would not have a bar of it!!

When she was little little I just offered her a bottle with cooled water between feeds and she loved it.

Kate

yeah ive always done tha with Mia.. offering the water. Just make sure it was boiled before its cooled and little bits at a time. DD loves water now (she only has water or milk) and can easily down 400-500mls of water on a hot day.

So yes, its a good idea IMO to offer FF bubs a drink of water in between feeds. So as a rough guide.. mayb 10mls every hour? leave it up to her, she may want more. As long as she doesnt start filling up on water and wont have her formula, there wont be a problem.

HTH

Thanks Think I might start seeing if she wants a little bit of water every now and then. I haven't worried about it prior to today, but it's just been so hot! And only going to get hotter for the rest of the week (and it's not even summer yet..oh joy..).

Can you put the bottle back in the fridge after she has had a bit? i.e. it's not like formula and has to be discarded. Is fridge cold ok or should it be a little warmer than that? I guess if I stick a bottle in the door of the fridge it won't be quite so cold.

Sam's always had room temperature water. I think fridge temperature might be a little too shockingly cold for a small body. But that could just be me - I prefer my water room temperature as well. If room temperature is too hot, perhaps mix some room temperature water with some from the fridge?

BW

yeah i wouldnt give bub water ice cold out of the fridge and u will prob find she wont drink it that cold...

AS BW said.. if u mix some room temp with cold water is fine. Or add a little boiled water to the cold to take the chill off it.

To keep her cooler, just keep her in a nappy, or in front of a fan , or a cool facewasher on her brow or back of the neck. Or some extra baths on the cooler side.

It will help keep her body temp down if she is feeling a bit hot
    Last edited by AliBaby; October 31st, 2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Didnt read OP properly