Thread: Dark green poo

Default Dark green poo

Hi all!
    A few weeks ago I asked a midwife at the newborn dropin centre if green poos were normal. They were yellow in the first few weeks and then turned green. The midwife said it was nothing to worry about.
    But today DP did a poo just before we went to weigh her and both midwives were very surprised at the colour - dark green. They said there was a lot of iron in the poo and I should take a poo nappy to the doctor when I go for a checkup next week.
    We have been using S26 Gold since birth. Is this a particularly iron-rich formula? Would switching assist the poo colour?
    DD is healthy and is growing well. She does fuss a bit after each feed but usually settles after doing some very loud burps.
    Any advice would be most welcome.

Gold formulas have more iron in them than the normal ones. Try switching to the S26 normal one if you are concerned.

I've always been under the impression though that if they are pooing it out, they are just getting what they need and getting rid of the excess. I only got concerned about too much iron when it made my kids constipated.

DD had dark green poo on s26 gold (remember freaking out myself). But it was nothing to worry about.

I am using a different formula this time (as well as BF),and if DS has more formula than usual, then his poos are dark green colour too..

Maybe get your dr to check it out for your peace of mind, but I don't think I would be rushing in before Xmas if she doesn't seem unwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh View Post
    I've always been under the impression though that if they are pooing it out, they are just getting what they need and getting rid of the excess. .
    And :yeahthat:

Hi Barb..I a bit late with a reply! Oscar was on Nan HA 1 when he was on formula and it was very dark green all the time. He was on it the whole time and it was fine. Oscar was the healthiest baby and never got sick on formula.

x Heather